Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 04-11-2009

Default New Maverick Strada SC 4 x 4

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV12205

A cheap RTR 4x4 SC truck from HPI's Maverick range @ £125 RRP

Not gonna be top end stuff but for the money cant go wrong with this surely...
Old 04-11-2009

looks crap that does. Would be better if it came in a same transparent box with Nikko on it and was for sale on the toy aisle in Asda for £59.99.
Old 04-11-2009

The Maverick range isn't half bad you know. A lot of us on here will only appreciate the higher end gear and the big brands but I think panch is showing that for the money this is a good product and can bring new people into the hobby.

If it was all higher end gear the hobby would be so unpopular.
Old 04-11-2009

@ DMC - why so negative, if you have owned one and or driven one I could understand if you personally didn't like it but to come on here and just slate a perfectly good starter kit with your 4th post is a bit off...

@ Ry - Glad you spotted the point of the thread, at the end of the day the sc class is a fun class not yet a racing class and the more people that can join in and have fun the better, the fact that it is incredible value also mean established racers who may not have been able to Afford a more expensive sc can now also get involved..
Old 04-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That's harsh, it doesn't look that bad at all.

Maybe it's not an SC10, but with the 4wd I bet it'd be almost as quick given the same electrics.
Old 04-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good on them for bringing out something to open doors to more people starting out. Fair enough it isn't what a seasoned racer would choose, but Steve's comments are harsh. Aslong as it doesn't fall apart or handle like a pig on roller skates, it will be great, and it doesn't say A****nn on it so im sure it'll be great...
Old 06-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC-12 View Post
looks crap that does. Would be better if it came in a same transparent box with Nikko on it and was for sale on the toy aisle in Asda for £59.99.
Panch, I accept that I should have re-read my post before I submitted it. It was a knee-jerk reaction and I really should have held my tongue, after all you cannot be objective about anything until you've tried it yourself. That being said, you should expect what you pay for and I'm comparing this kit to the Madrat RTR I bought new a few weeks ago. I now have a second hand RC10 B4, nuff said (the Rat may have been a bad example but I was happy to see it go - even though I lost a shedload on it - funnily enough there wasn't much interest).

It will be good to get people interested for such a low price point, just so long as they don't kid themselves that £125 is ALL they need to spend to have a reliable car (let alone a competitive and durable one). I've found that unrealistic expectations are one of the main things that causes people to ditch whatever hobby they pick up.

I'm not saying you have to have mega-expensive kit as this is not the case at all, but it is a fact that there is effectively a minimum "entry-fee/outlay" (call it what you will) to RC racing and you either accept that you have to pay at least this amount to be competitive/reliable or else be happy with your position on the ladder. Bashing is of course completely different and this kit may well keep someone satisfied for a long time in that arena and long may that continue.
Old 06-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

DMC-12? Whats going on with your profile dude? DCM?

Well you did pick a crappy A****nn (no brand names mentioned), and I understand your gripes as although ive never owned one (I did consider it), Ive heard enough complaints through the shop to know they're garbage and anyone wanting advice gets my honest opinion as I don't do bullshit, and the shop doesn't get repeat custom if the customers decide the advice is bullshit.

There is getting what you pay for vs fit for purpose, and which one of those the A**** car is, is debatable... Cars so bad are actually very bad for the image of RC car racing, I know of a few customers who've chosen something terrible, had nothing but constant issues and returned it - with a clear intention of never wanting another RC car.

Whereas the Maverick, Id give it a fair chance before judging it. As long as they can make something fit for purpose for that money, then it won't be a waste of plastic. I don't think itd live up to SC10 speeds nor handle the same stresses if someone with a little experience tries to race it, but as long as a novice can zigzag between the barriers without it breaking then it's great.
Old 10-12-2009
Mad Member

so are they any good then , ok for the cash ... im considering one ...
Old 10-12-2009

Shaun...

Where abouts are you based...?? Whats your local shop ?? Im sure I can put you in touch with a shop that has one in stock so you can go touch / feel it...

I have had a run about with it and as stated above for the money its spot on IMO, If you wish to go race in short course events then im sure your local club wouldnt mind too much that its 4wd and a slight advantage

Lee
Old 10-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
DMC-12?
Not me Chris, I am the DCM.... lol
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch View Post
Shaun...

Where abouts are you based...?? Whats your local shop ?? Im sure I can put you in touch with a shop that has one in stock so you can go touch / feel it...

I have had a run about with it and as stated above for the money its spot on IMO, If you wish to go race in short course events then im sure your local club wouldnt mind too much that its 4wd and a slight advantage

Lee
Lee, you'll be more than welcome to come back to Caldicot sometime and we won't mind it being 4wd!
Old 13-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch View Post
Shaun...

Lee
hi cheers im from poole in dorset , i had a sc10 , but sold it pretty much straight on as at that time i never went to my local track ...

but since that everyone over there seems to either have them or are getting one .. i have alot of other cars , nitro , electric , 1/5th and just thought it would be a cheap 4wd sc truck ..

i appreciate its not going to be the best handling truck , but if its resonably strong and reliable chassis wise , then with a 10.5t brushless system ( that i already have ) better servo , a bit of chassis set up , job done !!! ..

but then sell the original radio gear and esc on fleebay , job done .... a cheeap little sc truck ...
Old 13-12-2009

I think it's pretty good if you can get parts for it.
The diference between a hobby model and toy is that you can buy parts for hobby model.
Old 13-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaank View Post
I think it's pretty good if you can get parts for it.
The diference between a hobby model and toy is that you can buy parts for hobby model.
Spares available from all good model shops
Old 13-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun m View Post
hi cheers im from poole in dorset , i had a sc10 , but sold it pretty much straight on as at that time i never went to my local track ...

but since that everyone over there seems to either have them or are getting one .. i have alot of other cars , nitro , electric , 1/5th and just thought it would be a cheap 4wd sc truck ..

i appreciate its not going to be the best handling truck , but if its resonably strong and reliable chassis wise , then with a 10.5t brushless system ( that i already have ) better servo , a bit of chassis set up , job done !!! ..

but then sell the original radio gear and esc on fleebay , job done .... a cheeap little sc truck ...
I'll pm you a list of shops in your area and find out which have stock
Old 13-12-2009
Mad Member

ok cheers for your help , ive since found out that ,as our local track will be doing a sc championship , only 2wd sc trucks can race , so another sc10 may be coming this way soon .......... i hope .. thanks again thou ..
Old 14-12-2009

What about this then...

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...103172&lang=en
Old 14-12-2009
Mad Member

yeah i saw one running at the weekend , would you say they will handle as good if not better than a sc10 .... and whats the strengh of the truck in general like ... cheers for your help ....
Old 15-12-2009

Its based on the firestorm with a longer chassis, so pretty much bombproof...

I have one and have run it a few times as an RTR and it handles superbly, It jumps extremely well and feels well balanced...