Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Stotfold MCC

Old 14-12-2009

Default Few questions

Hi, I'm Jacob

Been racing 1/18th for a while now and have always kept my eye on 1/10 but up till now I've never felt that I was ready to actually build and race something a bit bigger. So then I raced 1/10 on road, to be honest it was fun but far too stressful and not enough fun.

Gave up on that idea and thought about 1/10 off road. I came across here a few weeks ago, after worrying that there was no where near London to actually race 1/10! This is the nearest club for me.

So I just have a few q's to ask about the club;

Rules - What kind of class rules are there for the 4WD class on a Sunday (not Winter series)? I assume Lipo is allowed? Not too sure on how the motor classes work for offroad, is it the same as on road with 17.5, 13.5, 10.5 and modified?

Does anyone race the Durango DEX410? Bit wary about spares for this buggy since it appears to be quite rare at the moment. Had pretty much decided on one but I'd like to know if there are any team drivers etc. who race here?

Think thats all for now

Jacob
Old 14-12-2009

Hi Jacob,

Lipo is allowed, just make sure it is a BRCA legal Lipo as they are tested to ensure they are safe. (check here.... http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/n...%20List%20.pdf)

There are no classes for different motors, it is all modified so you can run any motor including those you listed. The only seperation is between 2wd, 4wd and trucks (if there are enough).

Nigel Buck is running the Durango and will be there regularly. There are also a couple of Durango team drivers who race occaisionally depending on what other races are on the same day.

Let me know if you have any more questions and hope to see you soon.
Old 14-12-2009

Kit,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What turn motor would you recommend for your track? I'm not exactly the best driver, I have a new 5.5 Sensored Orion in the pit box from a trade, will this do or is it a little fast?

Good to hear that there will be other Durango drivers there.

I'll try to come to this Sunday's event if I can make it, shall see what happens on the day, will be nice to take a look around.

Jacob
Old 14-12-2009

I would recommend a 5.5 for a good experienced driver in 4wd. As you are just starting in off road you will probably want something slower but it's hard to know what without knowing how good you are. How much racing have you done? Do you have any other motors?
Old 14-12-2009

I've been racing 1/18 offroad for a good 2 years now (had a small break this Summer), although I do some drag/speed racing. I'm usually in the B final out of A, B and C, sometimes making the A. But I'd rather buy a slower motor than run something way overpowered (as I learnt when I began 1/18).

I don't have any other motors, I think I'll end up selling the 5.5 and put it towards a new 8.5 Tekin combo or similar. Seems to be the only ESC that will fit in the Durango anyway!
Old 15-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hide View Post
I don't have any other motors, I think I'll end up selling the 5.5 and put it towards a new 8.5 Tekin combo or similar. Seems to be the only ESC that will fit in the Durango anyway!
With some thinking, you can get most speedos into the Durango, I've had a LRP Sphere in mine, just swapped it for a Speed Passion GT Pro, both fitted ok, also seen one with a Novak GTB in there, and those things are huge
Old 15-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
With some thinking, you can get most speedos into the Durango, I've had a LRP Sphere in mine, just swapped it for a Speed Passion GT Pro, both fitted ok, also seen one with a Novak GTB in there, and those things are huge
Good to hear, Speed Passion was what I run in the first place. Are you using a micro receiver?
Old 15-12-2009
oOple Advertiser

Hi Jacob, i've got the LRP Sphere and the large Spektrum receiver in mine and there's plenty of room if you put the receiver on it's side. I have the PT stuck to the receiver, it works perfectly. If you could swap the 5.5 for something else (maybe a 7.5) that would be useful but if you turn your throttle down a bit on your transmitter it shouldn't be that bad with the 5.5 if you can't find anyone to swap.
Old 15-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Hi Jacob, i've got the LRP Sphere and the large Spektrum receiver in mine and there's plenty of room if you put the receiver on it's side. I have the PT stuck to the receiver, it works perfectly. If you could swap the 5.5 for something else (maybe a 7.5) that would be useful but if you turn your throttle down a bit on your transmitter it shouldn't be that bad with the 5.5 if you can't find anyone to swap.
Ah, it's seems that some of the reviews exadurated how little room there was. I'm using a Futaba system, the receiver is roughly the same size as a large spekrum one.

I'll try and trade it for a 7.5 or 8.5, if not I'll do as you said with the throttle on my radio.
Old 16-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Good to hear, Speed Passion was what I run in the first place. Are you using a micro receiver?
Yes mate, a mini spektrum one.

Have a look in the Durango section, there is a good thread with pics of peoples installs, might give you a few ideas.

Yes there isn't alot of room in there, but if there was, it would just be wasting space, but there is enough room for everything you'll need.
Old 16-12-2009

Took a look in the thread, got a few ideas but the Speed Passion GT Pro is the ESC I have decided on. Now just got to sell off a few of my limbs to buy the chassis LOL
Old 03-01-2010

The Trakpower Dark series packs are not yet approved by the BRCA. Are they expected to be? If not am I still ok to run them here?
Old 07-01-2010

I would be surprised if they are not submitted for approval, but don't know for certain.

Strictly speaking you should be using batteries that are BRCA legal, but we don't carry out any formal checks. Thinking about it, I believe some people are using them already (not such a big deal given previous Trakpower batteries have been approved).

Quote:
The Trakpower Dark series packs are not yet approved by the BRCA. Are they expected to be? If not am I still ok to run them here?
Old 10-03-2010

Well I haven't been able to get the Durango (or any 1/10 for that matter) since I ran into some issues that were more important than it for now. But once they are sorted I'll be fine to buy it ready for the Summer.