Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 15-05-2012
Mad Member

Default RC10 World's Car (Kinwald)

This is what I lust after! I think this came out after Brian won worlds in '93? (just found pic below, was 1993)

I had a Team car in around 1991 and bought the Turbo Mirage shell to try and do a similar replica in Drescher colours/design - looked good! Swapped it a few years ago with another Dan on here for a few brushed motors.....wish I'd kept her! I used to have a video by Craig, think it was called "Build to Win", in it he described how to build the RC10 - also a copy of RRCi or Race Car with a review of the RC10 with the Turbo Mirage shell - wish I'd kept that too!

Dan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC10_worlds.JPG (124.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 15-05-2012

I agree - to own a nice minty one with the box etc would be great.... although to be honest there's very little difference between the Worlds & your old Team Car, some milled slots in the chassis, some graphite shock towers & a carbon fibre tranmission brace!

I do own a Worlds car, but it was re-built/restored from a very rough car I found on ebay. I re-built it to be a runner with 2.2" wheels & a B4 slipper assembly (better for handling the torque of modern brushless motors) I've raced it a few times & it goes very well!
Old 15-05-2012

I had one of the first batch of the Worlds car that still had some white nylon parts, later cars were all black. I recently got back into RC and pictured in my head that my Worlds car was still sitting in the garage back at my parents home....no such luck, all I found is a box of parts with lots missing including the milled chassis.
I have started collecting parts to build a running version around another gold pan chassis that I have but like you I so wish I had not torn my worlds car apart....probaly made sense at the time when I was 14 and all I wanted was a B2!!
Check out RC10talk.com for some really cool old RC10 stuff
Old 15-05-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzerp View Post
I had one of the first batch of the Worlds car that still had some white nylon parts, later cars were all black. I recently got back into RC and pictured in my head that my Worlds car was still sitting in the garage back at my parents home....no such luck, all I found is a box of parts with lots missing including the milled chassis.
I have started collecting parts to build a running version around another gold pan chassis that I have but like you I so wish I had not torn my worlds car apart....probaly made sense at the time when I was 14 and all I wanted was a B2!!
Check out RC10talk.com for some really cool old RC10 stuff
I had the carbon brace too and fibre lyte front and rear shock towers, black suspension arms and carbon battery brace - loved that car!

I also left my old R/C's at my parents house, 2 Turbo Optima Mids, a Cougar 2 and a Boomerang (took the RC10 and Lazer with me but sold/traded 'em later)......dunno where they are now, I keep asking my mum to search the loft!

Will check out links cheers.

Dan
Old 15-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzerp View Post
I had one of the first batch of the Worlds car that still had some white nylon parts, later cars were all black.
My Worlds car is all black - but it appears that the white nylon parts had been dyed black by the previous owner as white was showing through where some of the parts had been worn (rear wishbone mounts etc). I like the look the of the white & black parts combined & wish my car had been left as original
Old 15-05-2012
Mad Member

Talking

Found the pics on here!

It was Dan Greenwood who was the lucky guy from the York club and here is my beloved car which I swapped with him for some motors nice guy though and at the time I wasn't using it so not all bad He put some action pics on oOple too a few years back but I haven't found those yet.

I painted the shell with aerosols when I was about 14 and still remember my mum picking me up from school after about 4 months of daily nagging on my part and she said "are you ready to go and get your RC10"......brilliant.....I must have been a spoilt brat!

That motor is what Dan put in, I actually bought a Trinity Brian Kinwald special edition mod motor (10x2 I think) which I ran in it briefly. On a family holiday to Orlando I bought some Lunsford Ti turnbuckles, rpm blue ball ends, MIP ballraced steering and Ti hinge pins.....that car was gorgeous.

My local model shop (Phills in Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne - now in North Shields I believe) machined the rear motor plate for me as per Brians car and I also polished the upper chassis edges.

Here's the link to the thread and pics below makes me feel better that I found them!

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...8558#post18558

and here it is when he had it ready to race in 2006:

Old 15-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My 1st 2wd Car was a brand new RC10 Worlds, I won it at the famous Apex Models GP in the Raffle! Up until then I'd only done 4wd so Dad had no excuse now and had to let me do 2wd too

I think I used it for about 6 months before swapping the far better Losi XX - The car was leagues ahead of the ageing RC10 at the time and completely transformed my 2wd racing... The RC10 was sooooo hard to drive on bumpy tracks, I never forget how it would just hit a slight bump on the straight at Basingstoke and just flip over
Old 15-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
My Worlds car is all black - but it appears that the white nylon parts had been dyed black by the previous owner as white was showing through where some of the parts had been worn (rear wishbone mounts etc). I like the look the of the white & black parts combined & wish my car had been left as original
I agree with you. My goldpan runner will have white nylon Dynotech arms (RPM Worlds replicas) and i love the contrast between the two colours....looks so diferent to modern buggies.
Old 15-05-2012

Great to see the pics of your old car Dan..... you must be able to track it down & perhaps buy it back??

I agree with Nick.... I have massive respect for the RC10 drivers at the 93 Worlds at Basildon, Joel 'Magic' Johnson took TQ with the new XX which for me felt like such a more stable car which would have suited the very bumpy track well - from my brief experience driving my RC10 a couple of years ago I can echo Nick's findings of the car feeling twitchy & prone to catching bumps & jumps - Brian Kinwald did an amazing job to bring the Ali panned car home to victory that year

The build thread for my RC10 on RC10Talk;

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13782
Old 15-05-2012

I am quickly acquiring too many RC10's and will probably purge a couple of them. While I'm sentimental about them since it represented a very fun time in my life and in rc in general, the original RC10 is a very unforgiving car to drive. When the JRX2 came out in 1988 I bought one and never raced an RC10 ever again after that. Now I'm just building the cars I always wanted as a kid. I've tried giving the old cars a shot at the track but I can practice for a week setting up an old RC10 getting it dialed in and learning how to drive it. Give me my JRX, XX (which I need to get rid of), or XXX (CR2) and I'll be able to go faster in less than 5 minutes with fewer incidents. Practice makes perfect but inferior design makes it tougher to achieve.
Old 16-05-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

I'm the fortunate owner of dans rc10 now and it has a pride of place on my shelf. I ran it for the york vintage series and was top 2wd I think but couldn't keep up with northys procat on slippy floor tracks.

I'll try to put up. Some more pics, main difference was that I got a bnip shell from ae's factory painter from a mate who used to work at a, it's actually the older shell type but is so nice it stays on.

Thanks again to dan for letting me have her

Nortech is ACE!
Old 16-05-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I'm the fortunate owner of dans rc10 now and it has a pride of place on my shelf. I ran it for the york vintage series and was top 2wd I think but couldn't keep up with northys procat on slippy floor tracks.

I'll try to put up. Some more pics, main difference was that I got a bnip shell from ae's factory painter from a mate who used to work at a, it's actually the older shell type but is so nice it stays on.

Thanks again to dan for letting me have her
Ah she's now on a shelf that is nice! Not smashed to pieces then Dan

Some pics would be great - I can only imagine how sad my wife would think I am if she read this thread......

Cheers, nice to hear from you again Dan.

The other Dan
Old 16-05-2012

To DanB4:

Dan, Dan, Dan... you are, truly, a sick little boy...

Welcome to the club!!! You're amongst friends...
Old 16-05-2012

"I agree with Nick.... I have massive respect for the RC10 drivers at the 93 Worlds at Basildon, Joel 'Magic' Johnson took TQ with the new XX which for me felt like such a more stable car which would have suited the very bumpy track well - from my brief experience driving my RC10 a couple of years ago I can echo Nick's findings of the car feeling twitchy & prone to catching bumps & jumps - Brian Kinwald did an amazing job to bring the Ali panned car home to victory that year" [quote]

I agree with you,
When you look at the associated cars that won the previous two worlds which had suspension geometry that ended up on the B2 it seems very strange that they used the standard car for the 93 event. still won though!!

"I've tried giving the old cars a shot at the track but I can practice for a week setting up an old RC10 getting it dialed in and learning how to drive it. Give me my JRX, XX (which I need to get rid of), or XXX (CR2) and I'll be able to go faster in less than 5 minutes with fewer incidents. Practice makes perfect but inferior design makes it tougher to achieve".[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt that the XX was the better car at the time but for me personally the ali tub RC10 feels much more "vintage"....I already have a modern buggy that handles well. It all comes down to personal choice I guess.
Old 16-05-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutt View Post
To DanB4:

Dan, Dan, Dan... you are, truly, a sick little boy...

Welcome to the club!!! You're amongst friends...
Hello my old friend....hope you and Mary are well!
Old 16-05-2012

We're very well - well enough to know I'm still able to choose when to grumble or not!

Have to say, I can't remember who got any of my old cars at all? (Bruce Edwards mostly!) Only the ones I sold this year...

Of all my cars, I'd love to have back:
  • Tamiya Boomerang
  • Schumacher Bosscat
  • Kyosho Optima Mid

None of them classics, really, or at least particularly special in any way, but like real cars, you do end up falling in love with them, and remember great races, great days or just really great friends.

Good times. I do love going racing, especially when I don't fall out with anyone! LOL!
Old 20-05-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

Remembered to take some pics, it's not a true shelf queen and with the shell it's a bit of slightly mixed periods however I like it a lot

Nortech is ACE!
Old 21-05-2012
Mad Member

Fantastic!
Old 24-05-2012

Parma 'Amp Factory' cells!! Wow they take me back
Old 27-05-2012

Talking

hey dan! did you win that 93 baliston mag on ebay a few weeks back?

gary

here are my 2 mint world's car's. both early white car's one with comcom upgrades
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.JPG (123.2 KB, 67 views)