Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 22-09-2012

Default Needing track advice

Hi guys

I am looking at doing a fund easing race to raise money towards my world challenge expidition, I was thinking about making a dirt track and running some events and was wondering if there was any regulations I had to pass to run some of these day racing events?
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-09-2012
SHRCCC Legend

If you think a club or race meeting can raise money you are mislead...
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

How much do you need to raise Will?

i'm assuming you have land and permission for use with owner and local authorities?

and you are a registered charity?

firstly you'll need timing equipment/computer/software?

cost of track markings?

adequate safe rostrum?

liability insurance for people on site?

Being only 15 and having no experience may be an issue too.

other than that... what are you offering that other venues don't?

racing on 'dirt' is not that appealing... if you are being inspired by RHR Dirt then remember it's a special type of clay and was very expensive!
Old 22-09-2012

Land use, rostrum, equipment to make the track and I have a plan for the timing equipment and I need to raise as much as possible, closer to £3000 the better but I know I won't raise anything near that
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-09-2012

honestly will your really not gonna make any money at all trying to do it through this plan, timing gear alone can be serious money.....

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110748

£600 and that's second hand,

then as chimpy said.......dirt isn't always that appealing to uk drivers...RHR dirt was very expensive and also they already had the RHR name too bring in the interest from the drivers,

oh and how are you going to complete a world EXPEDITION when you cant spell the word right

had too say it

Not a trucking clue what short course I'll use next year. Any offers 😂
Old 22-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by (off)roadrunner View Post
oh and how are you going to complete a world EXPEDITION when you cant spell the word right

had too say it
If you're going to go to the trouble of mocking someone's English, make sure what you've written is correct next time?
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Twigger View Post
If you're going to go to the trouble of mocking someone's English, make sure what you've written is correct next time?
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 22-09-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Hear hear!
Old 22-09-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Hehehe that was a reel cule cumeback

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 22-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by john333 View Post
Hehehe that was a reel cule cumeback
Don't you mean real cruel comeback
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-09-2012

To be fair to you Will, if you have the wherewithal to set something up, good luck to you.

Single event insurance is a possibility but you would be advised to take advice from the BRCA as well as a good insurance adviser. Your age is an issue, you will need a responsible adult to front the event
In the case of one-off events you may be able to 'borrow' or rent certain equipment necessary like timing gear and rostrums.

The hard work would come from creating a track and the event organisation, advertising and management to attract enough people to make it all worthwhile.

Give it some serious consideration before you commit to anything, your best course of action would have to made more surreptitious queries than whacking it on a public forum and getting derided...

The kind of return you could realistically expect does hint at it not being financially viable unless you manage to guarantee large numbers of drivers, and then you'd have to offer something good in the way of an award or prize for them to win in the case of a one off charity do.

Best of luck mate but you might need to re-think this as a fund raiser.
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
Land use, rostrum, equipment to make the track and I have a plan for the timing equipment and I need to raise as much as possible, closer to £3000 the better but I know I won't raise anything near that
Planning permission?

So daft maths.... you will need 300 racers through the gates at £10 a head if you had everything in place.... to raise £3k profit to send you on holiday?

I like the enthusiasm you have for the hobby, but here's some harsh truths...

No sensible club will lend or even hire a 15yr old their timing equipment... AMB kit is hard to get hold of and if it gets damaged it will cause hassle for any club running their meetings.

You won't be able to hold a meeting in an insurance company's eyes since you are not a legal adult and therefore cannot be held responsible or sued if anything goes wrong.... for the same reason you wouldn't get planning permission or even permission for an event from the local authorities.

They have to be notified because of extra traffic to area, access for emergency vehicles, fire regs, complaints from locals etc etc

you ever seen a public event risk assessment form?!

You have an impossible task doing it all on your own, which lets face it is the only way it'll happen....

do you seriously think you will get any help with costs and labour to send you on a jolly around the world?

I'd be reluctant to attend a meeting like this unless it was something very special.

when are you thinking of running? Dates for events are in very short supply and thats without any weather issues.

Seriously.... get a paper round or ten!

At least let us know what this challenge is too
Old 22-09-2012

The expedition is to go to equador and help out local communities to maintain and renovate essential parts of the community such as schools and sanitation, I have a sponsor in mind for a big prize, planning shouldn't be a issue as the people on my local council are level headed but I will have to think of a way to do the insurance
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
The expedition is to go to equador and help out local communities to maintain and renovate essential parts of the community such as schools and sanitation, I have a sponsor in mind for a big prize, planning shouldn't be a issue as the people on my local council are level headed but I will have to think of a way to do the insurance
That sounds a very worth while cause Will and fair play and credit for you wanting to such a thing to help.

When it comes to having anyone on your property for an event you cannot 'scrimp' to get by... everything has to be above board and legal.

You may think the local council are level headed... but will the locals be? are they going to be impressed with a track being built nearby? we may think they are cool but others outside the hobby may not be impressed.

or noise from traffic and P.A system (another cost) or generators etc?

I'll openly say it.... this is what i consider a selfish hobby... it's an expensive indulgence for racers... we spend lots of money on expensive toys making them faster and look prettier than our mates... when it comes to paying money for race fees/travelling to meetings etc we get tight fisted.

Are the majority going to happily pay towards this project for you unless you can seriously offer something special?

I'm being careful on this one... but i've previously raced at meetings that were for charities that i didn't exactly want to support or agree with (i'm not against charity guys... have and will happily support causes which i think are deserving) and to be honest a lot of the racers were in agreement from their own opinions... so in this way we were racing for our own selfish reasons rather than to support what was in the background behind it.

You could only sensibly run 200 drivers maximum at a meeting... and that is some feat.

it's ok thinking you can easily get prizes etc... but you need to be able to offer the companies involved something worthwhile and back it up... i've organised meetings with charity raffles and the UK r/c companies/businesses are very generous and easy toapproach/work with... but it needs to work both ways... they need marketing and publicity and a well organised run meeting by someone they can trust to represent their company.... can you deliver that?

you do realise that clubs and charities are non-profit making organisations and therefore do not pay tax on their income but still have to keep financial accounts and be registered/hold legal bank accounts etc?

What you are proposing is making profit to use for another activity.... i can't see it coming under the charity you will be doing the Equador challenge unless they are backing/representing it?

If you need advice matey i'll help you out... plenty of experience and know a fair amount of industry contacts/racers.

but it's best you be sensible and realistic before jumping in and wrecking someones field and not being able to achieve your goals when there may be easier options to raise the funds... just probably not as fun as racing.

Rather than build your own venue.... rent an existing venue?

that way you have the marketing/organisation work to do... which is not easy either... but a lot easier than having to build a track!
Old 22-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Will,you would get more money is you got people to sponsore(sorry Andrew)you to do a parachute (sorry again) jump

im sure every club member would be happy to pay to see you jump out of a plane

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 22-09-2012

approach your local rc club see if they will be willing to help and run a charity night which would be alot easier to to mate
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post

im sure every club member would be happy to pay to see you jump out of a plane
I'll pay the £3K if i can pack the parachute... come fetch full payment in cash after you land

only kidding of course

Reg you are nasty...but you can spell parachute!
Old 22-09-2012

I wanted to use my own venue so that it is a whole new track and surface for people to race on, as for complaints, the track will be 1/3 of a km away from the road and as I'm sure Dave will agree, the is about 3 people that live around me
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 23-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I wanted to use my own venue so that it is a whole new track and surface for people to race on, as for complaints, the track will be 1/3 of a km away from the road and as I'm sure Dave will agree, the is about 3 people that live around me
Could I ask why you are so keen to build your own track for this?
As already mentioned, you will have the cost of building it which is not going to be cheap or easy to attract the numbers of racers you would need to make money.
Also consider, what will you be offering that will make people want to come and race there?
IMO you would be better off putting the time and effort that this would take into a different fund raising exercise.
Old 23-09-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

you would be better hiring rhr and running an event to raise money!