Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-05-2016

Default Motor opinions

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on:
Thunder power
Dynamite platinum
Orion
Hobby wing

Just going to change my motors and was looking for some reviews, thunder power and dynamite are cheaper but I'm looking for the best to use
Cheers
Old 24-05-2016

It might be best to tell us what type of car you will use the motors in, 1/10th off road, 1/12th LMP? If people know what type of car it's for you will get better advice.
Old 24-05-2016

1/10 off road
Old 24-05-2016

Default Speed Passion Motors

Don't discount Speed Passion V3 motors.

At £30 a pop great bang for your bucks.

Good smooth motors loads of torque so can run a Lower FDR. Quite a few people at our club use them to great effect.

7.5's being the wind of choice for 1/10 2wd off road buggys and 6.5 for 4wd.

Check em out.
RC10 Worlds
RC10 B3
Cougar 2's
Topcat
Tamiya DT02 - use as a door stop.
Tamiya TL01 - paper weight.
Tamiya Mini - awesome fun to race

THR - Tudor-Hart Racing - Custom RC products - find us on Facebook.

SHRCCC Committee Member- Track features - design and build.

Returning racer after 25 year break - miss my Optima Mid Custom Special, but not brushed motors & SCE cells.

www.shrccc.co.uk

Old 24-05-2016

Another vote for speed passion v3. Cheap and cheerful.

In off-road, unless you're running on ultra high grip astro, it's likely that you'll have more power than grip anyway. You could go nuts and spend £60+ per motor, but it's ultimately pointless.
Old 25-05-2016

For off road I don't think it makes as much difference as say GT12 what make of motor you use, you will or can have more than enough power it depends if you want smooth power delivery or not.
Heard many people say that Speed Passion motors are smooth but generally you need to go 1 turn lower to get the same power as most other motors, so a 7.5t Thunder Power will be about the same as a 6.5t Speed Passion. Also heard Orion motors are very smooth. LRP are very powerful!

I run Thunder Power in my off road buggies and they have been superb, cheaper than a lot of the 'big names' but plenty of power and still pretty smooth. I run 8.5t in 2wd and 6.5t in 4wd, both are more than quick enough with bags of grunt and speed.
Old 26-05-2016
Mad Member

I bave heard very good reviews about the hobbywing motors

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 27-05-2016

I run Orion motors in all my cars and find them really responsive, smooth and fast. Even when I add boost and turbo they don't get really hot normally around 60 degrees with boost.

I can only comment on other cheaper motors from driving other peoples cars and the HPI Flux range and you can absolutely tell the difference between an Orion and a cheaper one such as hobby wing mostly in the power delivery and speed. I used to run the HPI Flux motors when I started in RC - still got one but replaced them all with the Orion's and the difference is like night and day.

One motor to perhaps look at is the NVision - they are nicely priced and seem of high quality.

Hope that helps
Simon
Old 29-05-2016

Another vote for the V3 SP if you're on a budget. I tried a 8.5, 7.5 and 6.5 yesterday in a 2wd buggy at a testing day, and you can feel the difference in nice increments.

To use a curry analogy, I went from Korma (8.5) to Jalfrezi (7.5) and Madra (6.5)

The track I race on is Silverstone buggy club's indoor track, and the conclusion I came to is that for my current level of skill the 7.5 was about right.

Racing on a budget I think these are good motors, especially for the money. The only thing I would say is they do get hot, so I don't think you can over gear them too much or use them with too much timing. But then I ran with zero timing on my car and the 6.5 was too powerful for the slipper clutch assembly given how much I had to back it off to stop the wheeling..

I think the V4 and other £60+ motors will be superior, but not massively so, likely in the area of being able to over gear and running loads of timing. So if you're in the A final at your club night, might be worth going for a £60 motor, but if like me, you are returning and finding your feet again nearer the back, it may be worth holding out a while before going for the 'big guns'.
Old 05-06-2016

I run Skyrc Ares (gold one) motor with Flow Works, I know it's not thunder power, dynamite,orion or hobby wing but in my oppinion it's great quality to value plus it's really smooth and powerful on astro turf.
M
Tamiya TB01 Corvette