Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > BRCA 1/10th OFF ROAD - 2010

View Poll Results: Who should decide our National 1/10th Off-Road Championship Venues
The Off-Road BRCA committee members and Chairman 22 36.67%
The Racers as members of the BRCA 33 55.00%
Other 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Out of interest John, thought there was nine clubs??
I know we ( silverstone ) put in for a national as I sent it in.

But once again this will come up year after year unless someone thinks of a new way to do things. And puts it forward to agm....
the EOS were chosen first and that left the six national events with seven clubs
Old 19-12-2010
Mad Member

That makes sense now.... Although that is a strange way of doing things in my opinion.
Old 19-12-2010

it doesn't really matter how we choose or what is chosen first, 6 from 7 or 8 from 9, one club will lose, and frankly if the racers want to vote, carry on. would it have made a difference?, not to one club, this year the 9 people voted and EPR lost, 120 could have voted and the result may have been the same or we could be discussing how scandalous that we are not going to wales/southport/kiddie etc.
Old 19-12-2010
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReferee View Post
it might help your poll if you knew who actually votes, this year there were 10 people in attendance but the chairman will only vote if there was a tie.
so we had
national timekeeper
national referee
secretary
south east regional rep
mid south rep

drivers rep
technical officer
north east rep
welsh rep

the above list included 4 national drivers. we had 7 clubs going for 6 places someone was going to miss out. you can change who votes, you can change how it is voted but one club will be disappointed. which club would you have disappointed?
Without knowing much about the national series (with not having done or likely to do one) how many regions are there? I see only 4 regions reps in the list when obviously there are more than that. Presumably the others couldn't be bothered to turn up or had other commitments (did the rep from EPR's region attend btw?)
Is it absolutely necessary to attend this meeting or could it be done in another way (such as conference call or similar) thereby meaning all reps could "be there" whilst in the comfort of their own homes? Would surely mean that a region doesn't get a say in what is happening (or not...) in their region in respect of nationals...
Old 20-12-2010

the drivers rep is also from mid west and the secretary is east, and yes the epr rep was there. i will say again it doesnt matter who or how many vote, one club will lose out. you tell me which one shouldn't get a national and why.
its all very well criticising the 9 who turned up and voted about the decision they reached. but unless your willing to put your hand up and say which one you wouldnt want then what is this poll acheiving?.
i am quite happy to tell you who i voted for, or in reality which club i did not vote for and my reasons, are you prepared to do the same?. equally i am happy to stand on a freezing cold rostrum for 8 hours a day to refereee your races, the timekeeper is prepared to time your races for the same length of time. are any of you willing to do the same?. i can take any criticism you care to throw at me, i made a decision because i got off my arse, drove up to birmingham, sat in a meeting,listened to the facts and voted. you don't agree with the decision? then get off your arse and do something. alternatively sit behind your keyboard telling me i got it wrong without actually offering an alternative.
Old 20-12-2010

Quote:
equally i am happy to stand on a freezing cold rostrum for 8 hours a day to refereee your races, the timekeeper is prepared to time your races for the same length of time. are any of you willing to do the same?.
Sorry, JC, i have to make a slight correction to your statement - for a National Weekend I spend at least 30 hours of my time in preparation during the week before , 12 hours each day booking in & timeing the event and preparing the results for publication for various websites/publications.

However, back to this Poll. In my view this Poll is pointless - why?
One of the Options is for the "the Racers as members of the BRCA" to decide.
In effect, as far as I am concerned, this already happens, as I spend time speaking to people during the season and getting their views on each meeting. Also we live in a Democracy, and I am an elected representative of the membership to act on their behalf, in what I believe to be their best interests.
How many of you who have voiced their disappointment here and in other threads actually spoke to someone and said "if club X applies for a National then make sure you vote for it" or "dont vote for club Y because the meeting there was rubbish"

I am all for Free Speech, and will take constructive criticism if I make a bad/wrong decision, but reading the Threads on here, and on Facebook, made by People who do not know what work is performed in the background (and some that do) I am seriously considering my position on the National 1/10th Off Road Committee.
Old 20-12-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
the drivers rep is also from mid west and the secretary is east, and yes the epr rep was there. i will say again it doesnt matter who or how many vote, one club will lose out. you tell me which one shouldn't get a national and why.
its all very well criticising the 9 who turned up and voted about the decision they reached. but unless your willing to put your hand up and say which one you wouldnt want then what is this poll acheiving?.
i am quite happy to tell you who i voted for, or in reality which club i did not vote for and my reasons, are you prepared to do the same?. equally i am happy to stand on a freezing cold rostrum for 8 hours a day to refereee your races, the timekeeper is prepared to time your races for the same length of time. are any of you willing to do the same?. i can take any criticism you care to throw at me, i made a decision because i got off my arse, drove up to birmingham, sat in a meeting,listened to the facts and voted. you don't agree with the decision? then get off your arse and do something. alternatively sit behind your keyboard telling me i got it wrong without actually offering an alternative.

I did that job for many years as people know. Even the PRO possition before I fell ill. I know what it's like to vote other clubs off, I run Hampshire Racing Centre for 10 years and it took me some 4 years to get a National, so will all the respect I do know what happens, why it happens and certainly how it happens.

Now to more CONSTRUCTIVE points and why some clubs should be above others!
Firstly they promote our sport in a PUBLIC area. This is the future but for some reason the heads of the BRCA don't see this as important.
Then we have venues that had had a National event and know what is required and DELIVERS everytime we go there. Please don't tell me Kiddys effort last time out at the end of year finals was good. They didn't have enough people to even cut the grass and as much as I am sorry to mention this especially as I know most of the lads around Kiddermisnster but it simply wasn't to National standard and if you really want me to quote "only a couple of us these days running the club" -----we surely don't have to go publicly down this route - do we??

The CRITERIA is a big issue in my eyes and is far from good enough.
A NATIONAL meeting should be an EVENT - should have the PUBLIC there saying where is my local model shop, I want my son/daughter to start this hobby etc etc - TV, newspapers, radio and so on should be in the criteria in running a National - Public places should be no 1 - like Southport (but put the tents away from the track and allow the public to view). We are certainly not going to PROMOTE our sport at some of the venues we are going to because the CRITERIA is not good enough. Then we should have a georgraphical map so it becomes not the Northern or Southern thing but a NATIONAL scenario. Whats the criteria now? If you are in with a few people you get a National? Is that STILL how it works?
The fact is also clear that if the DRIVERS had input then geographically EPR would have a National event. I can name you 40 plus drivers that would have chosen EPR as one of the National venues and that is a fact.
That also makes certain decisions wrong John. Not the people on the voting committee but the way it is voted for - the CRITERIA

So whether you want to take this as moaning or logically as constructive it's up to you guys but be carefull what you wish for as one day it could come true!!
Old 20-12-2010

actually tony you can go public on the kidderminster thing, they put together a presentation which addresed every one of your concerns, not only did they supply a fully timetabled work schedule they also supplied a list of names of people for the day, they addressed every issue you have brought up and how they were going to ensure a succesful national event.
i was then able to make an informed decision on supporting their application.

so assuming you had been at the meeting and your concerns about kidderminster were shown to be unfounded who else gets the chop.

as for your statement "Whats the criteria now? If you are in with a few people you get a National? Is that STILL how it works?" . i am personnally offended that you can suggest i voted not with the best interest of the sport in my mind. i listened to the presentations, i asked pertinant questions and i exercised my vote. to suggest that i did some dodgy deal or am on a par with some FIFA official is frankly upsetting.
Old 20-12-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

After following this thread for a bit, i thought I would comment..

It seems a lot of people are complaining about the distances they have to travel...well it is a NATIONAL series??!! If you dont want to travel, and cant afford it, just attend your regional series, just like us mere mortals!. I have looked at doing Nationals for a few years now, and just cannot do them, mainly due to RC tyre and hotels/fuel/camping costs...so will do my regionals.

It also seems their is a north south divide...not too sure how that works out. The tracks seem to be from a mix of regions

Stotfold: mid-south
Southport: north-west
Oswestry: mid-west
RHR: mid-east/north east (not sure)?
Taywain: wales
Kidderminster: mid-west

The only region missing out is south-east/london/home counties in favour of kiddrminster, who hasnt had a national for two years now. It seems like the last time, the venue wasnt quite good enough from others comments, which means they did not get it...

With regard to the other comments, I know that some clubs get the chop sometimes, but quite often bounce back with a better track or facilities, which has got to be good. Show us what you can do next time EPR!

I do agree with trying to get the media involved...seems there are too many obese playstation kids, who need to get out and get some fresh air...we need some fresh blood in this sport!
Old 20-12-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

[QUOTE=markwilliamson2001;443906]After following this thread for a bit, i thought I would comment..

It seems a lot of people are complaining about the distances they have to travel...well it is a NATIONAL series??!! If you dont want to travel, and cant afford it, just attend your regional series, just like us mere mortals!

Have you tried doing the North-East series some of the venues are nearly 200 miles apart, so you might do the national series lol.
Old 20-12-2010

Default As a noobie

As a noobie to this sport/hobby I feel that I can post something within this thread now that the whole media side and publicity aspect is being voiced as an important issue to get people involved.

Having started very recently in this (hugely addictive and fun) hobby, yes there is a little part in your head that thinks, hmm maybe one day I'll get to race at regionals and nationals etc

But, a combination of all the threads at the moment, really puts you off that idea, (combination of venue choice thread, oople invatational thread etc), as there is so much bad feeling within all of them.

Oople as a public forum is excellent for getting advice etc and to have some fun pointless polls and get to cyber chat with fellow ooplers and it's all good fun.

All the noobies out there like me are reading these threads (which in effect is a media outlet for the sport)) and I'm sure i'm not the only one finding it all abit well depressing really.

I'm not going to make a point about what is being spoke about, as that wouldn't be appropriate, however it does seem clear that the referee is making some very valid points and is being very transparent about decisions, how they are made and of the difficulties that the committee experience, as a manager you soon learn that you can never please everyone and that you can only try your best to please the majority.

Rather than these threads developing and becoming increasingly personal in their nature, how possible would it be for all parties who are voicing concerns to meet with the commitee and each other and to discuss them all?

Essentially "email chats" never really achieve anything, it is obvious that there is alot of emotion and feeling relating to all of these thread's at the moment, so rather than everyone abusing each other, find a mutually accessible location, grab an urn of coffee/tea and talk about the problems face to face.

Solution may be found within this, or at least a greater understanding of what the problems actually are and how they could be potentially resolved.

But please remember guys, this thread is doing nothing for the publicity of this excellent hobby/sport.
Old 20-12-2010
oOple Advertiser

John
actually tony you can go public on the kidderminster thing - I have only reminded people what was clearly public at the meeting they run a National meeting that in my eyes was not to standard and it has to be said of their own admition too. I am one of the few people that congratulates clubs if a succesful event is held as I know what it takes and if Kiddy do their massive improvements (which I am sure they will) then i am all for it but at the time of voting you are speculating on something happenning and on promises and NOT facts of achiements.
Furthermore, as a hypothetical, if someone came to you with a PLAN of an event and it all seemed so so good, would you give them an event? Come on John, we all know the answer to that.

so assuming you had been at the meeting - firstly i wasn't aware that we can come and vote nor was there an announcement to when the meeting was nor anything else. Are you beginning to get the 'in with people comment'

who else gets the chop - I am not out to give anyone the chop John - The Criteria in my opinion is wrong - Promotion of the sport should be no 1 before anything else and if EPR and Southport are public venues then they should be no 1 on the list. Or infact if lets say we are in the middle of nowhere and the club organises TV or media of some sort then they should be first on the list. And if all the clubs do that then we move on to other factors, like rostrums, parking, facilities and the list goes on as you know BUT the National Championship should be used to PROMOTE our sport not for just amongst us.

am on a par with some FIFA official is frankly upsetting - You see John this is what I meant and thank you for your clarification of this. Everyone has assumed that FIFA officials done something wrong?! Have they?! Proof?! Of course we all know it's how everyone feels about FIFA and their decission to not give us the World Cup but realistically this is the same scenario John.
On face value is what everyone is assuming happens and hense my comments.

To the committe, to the Kiddy members and to you John, I publicly apologise if you feel I have offended you.
I mean this to be constructive and not upsetting for anyone but it is clearly the frustration like many many others that are not liking some of the decisions.

This is what happens when you have big enough kahuners to speak out loud.

ps - and to make the point even more - who is PRO for the 1/10th section - the way I understand it there isn't one - see what I mean about promotion and John, currently 64 % of the vote says the racers should at least have an input in the voting
Old 20-12-2010

Furthermore, as a hypothetical, if someone came to you with a PLAN of an event and it all seemed so so good, would you give them an event? Come on John, we all know the answer to that.

obviously no you dont know the answer, remember RHR were given an event and they didn't have a track built!, we took the promises and the presentation and gave them a national.
silverstone applied for a national and said they were going to rip up the grass track and lay a new astro track, they were awarded a national on that promise and presentation.

firstly i wasn't aware that we can come and vote nor was there an announcement to when the meeting was nor anything else. Are you beginning to get the 'in with people comment

it is laid down in the constitution who can vote, you could attend if you wish but do not get a vote. if you wish to change the voting eligibility then propose it at the AGM. the regional reps are informed of the meeting date. the point was which club would not get a national, you have your opinion based on what you believed to be the case reference kidderminster, i pointed out you were not in possesion of the facts, which may have changed your mind. again the comment about being "in with people" suggests some underhand method of removing a club from the national series

I am not out to give anyone the chop John - The Criteria in my opinion is wrong - Promotion of the sport should be no 1 before anything else and if EPR and Southport are public venues then they should be no 1 on the list. Or infact if lets say we are in the middle of nowhere and the club organises TV or media of some sort then they should be first on the list. And if all the clubs do that then we move on to other factors, like rostrums, parking, facilities and the list goes on as you know BUT the National Championship should be used to PROMOTE our sport not for just amongst us.

i agree promotion of the sport is important, should it be the number one consideration when choosing a venue is a point for debate.

You see John this is what I meant and thank you for your clarification of this. Everyone has assumed that FIFA officials done something wrong?! Have they?! Proof?! Of course we all know it's how everyone feels about FIFA and their decission to not give us the World Cup but realistically this is the same scenario John.
On face value is what everyone is assuming happens and hense my comments.

the perception of wrongdoing is indeed the issue, does everyone assume the committee is bent? if so i can guarantee you wont have a committee by next week. to continually suggest we the committee are manipulating the venues to suit our personal agenda is wrong.

and to make the point even more - who is PRO for the 1/10th section - the way I understand it there isn't one - see what I mean about promotion and John, currently 64 % of the vote says the racers should at least have an input in the voting.

the PRO issue is ongoing and as such i will not comment as for the poll if you want to have a say propose it at the AGM and you will have one. you assume that if more people vote that the outcome would be different. as i have said all the clubs who applied this year were valid contenders and one would be disappointed.
Old 20-12-2010
oOple Advertiser

John
This should not be about you and I and just our personal opinions.
This should be about the BEST venues and the BEST organisations PROMOTING our sport and who gets to decide those venues.
The non-racers or the paying customers to the BRCA

For your defence John I think you should give your reasons why EPR didn't get an event. What was wrong and so on. Baring in mind no official from EPR has made a comment here I am sure they feel dumped rather than not achiving a certain standard.

In my opinion the BEST clubs didn't get a National or 2011 and that is all I have to say in the matter, especially as you referred to everything in my post and clearly didn't accept or at least acknowledge a public apology.
Old 20-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
John
This should not be about you and I and just our personal opinions.
This should be about the BEST venues and the BEST organisations PROMOTING our sport and who gets to decide those venues.
The non-racers or the paying customers to the BRCA

For your defence John I think you should give your reasons why EPR didn't get an event. What was wrong and so on. Baring in mind no official from EPR has made a comment here I am sure they feel dumped rather than not achiving a certain standard.

In my opinion the BEST clubs didn't get a National or 2011 and that is all I have to say in the matter, especially as you referred to everything in my post and clearly didn't accept or at least acknowledge a public apology.
Sorry tony your apology is noted. as for EPR i voted for them so i cannot say why others did not, the epr rep did ask for feedback as to the reasons why those that didn't support the application. i have done my feedback to the club i didn't support.
Old 20-12-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Tony does make an interesting point about the criteria to hold a national event.

The question was raised in the calender clash thread about weather Kidderminster "operates as a club". The answer came back that they don't hold regular meetings, but do hold winter series, and members do have access to the track. Maybe not a club in the traditional sense, but at least it is being run to the benifit of 1/10 Electric racers - so fair enough IMHO.

As a genuine question, what about Talywain? There has been various suggestions over the years about them only really being an 1/8 club, anyone know what the current situation is there?

So for the record, had I been there (and actually, if I hadn't been suffering "Man Flu" I might well have been there to stand in for my regional rep who wasn't available) that's the track that I would have had doubts over.
Old 20-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
Stotfold: mid-south
Southport: north-west
Oswestry: mid-west
RHR: mid-east/north east (not sure)?
Taywain: wales
Kidderminster: mid-west
I think i good idea for the future could be "where more clubs apply than there are dates no region should have more than one national, this would need to excluded end of season finals"

This is no way a dig at EPR not getting a national i just think it will make the series a true national series
Old 20-12-2010

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Clubs to apply for a National, and must be accepted as long as they fulfil the criteria for holding a national.

Committee to set the dates for the Nationals.

Drivers who attended ALL the nationals to vote on venue's.

Clubs must then accept the dates offered.
As an answer to the original question. This would seem the best solution to me also.
The only problem being that some drivers might then not want to attend nationals having previously expressing an interest (because of the venues). Which puts you in a chicken and the egg situation.. But I guess you can't avoid this and or other possibilities.

So.
Drivers Enter
Tracks & dates Chosen by 1/10th Off Road commitee to comply with H&S.
Tracks voted on by drivers (Anonymously)
Votes published
Tracks get pulled out of the hat for round order.

Or have an opinion poll as we have had before.
Drivers who did 4 or more rounds of the series voted on the tracks raced on that year... i.e. would they like to race there again. Yes or No and maybe an order of preference.

Ok, the last idea involves some work for the PRO, but surely if it's for the good of our sport...

And to throw a spanner in the works. If we are really concerned about promoting the sport to the 'Outside' world. What about having a 'Neutral' venue at a car show or something like....?

I was suprised by the venues, I did expect something different to what we got, but when all the dust settles, we all see each other at the first round of the series.