Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-06-2018

Pinpoints are no use at Nationals though, i thought this was a general chat not specifically about the Oople series ??? unless i missed something ?
Old 04-06-2018

thank you, will get a set or 2 ready for the oople meeting to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITTLER555 View Post
Hi, just to put a few things straight:

The oOple Off Road Open Series has chosen Schumacher Darts AND Proline Pinpoints.

We have successfully run Pinpoints at all the venues, Ulverston, Broxtowe and Oswestry. A number of the oOple team have run them as their chosen tyre at all three venues so far.

I have run the Harder Z3 compound at two Bury Club meetings and a Southport meeting as well as trying them at all the oOple meetings above and I'm still on the same pair. In fact yesterday at Bury, they were giving so much rear drive and grip I was struggling with quite a bit of understeer!

You can now get a front Proline called a Wedge Squared which looks very much like a Schumacher cut stagger and it works very well, in fact it has grip and hardly any grip roll.

Whilst the Prolines are somewhat more expensive to buy in the first place they last a heck of a lot longer with in my opinion not much drop in performance. I tried them back to back with Darts at Bury yesterday and the Pinpoints were way quicker.

They won't work at every club but for the average club driver and if rules allow, i would invest in a set of Z3 rear Pinpoints and Z3 front Wedge Squared and try them out. You might find you have to alter your cars setup in 2WD as the Pinpoints provide a lot of forward drive.
Old 04-06-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Should go back to rear motor. Didn't have this tyre wear back then. Think I only bought 1 set of TR32s and 1 set of mini spike green all year in 1991.....

COME BACK REAR MOTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 04-06-2018

Default buggy racing gone stupid

my bug bear is cactus as a control tyre on indoor when you have to carve up a brand new tyre to get it to work shows that the tyre is not fit for purpose and yet it is set as a control tyre on the front of 4wd why ??????? would you all go out and buy a new tyre for your full size car and carve it up to get it to work on a road. maybe that not the place to add this in but I would like to think isnt it a conflict of interest that the tyre manufacter that is set as a control tyre is also a chassis manufacturer it may or may not be but maybe something to throw into the mix

Last edited by claymoreman; 04-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
my bug bear is cactus as a control tyre on indoor when you have to carve up a brand new tyre to get it to work shows that the tyre is not fit for purpose and yet it is set as a control tyre on the front of 4wd why ??????? would you all go out and buy a new tyre for your full size car and carve it up to get it to work on a road. maybe that not the place to add this in but I would like to think isnt it a conflict of interest that the tyre manufacter that is set as a control tyre is also a chassis manufacturer it may or may not be but maybe something to throw into the mix
i must be one of the very few that dosn't trim or cut up cactus fronts....
Old 04-06-2018

Quote:

The oOple Off Road Open Series has chosen Schumacher Darts AND Proline Pinpoints.

We have successfully run Pinpoints at all the venues, Ulverston, Broxtowe and Oswestry. A number of the oOple team have run them as their chosen tyre at all three venues so far.

I have run the Harder Z3 compound at two Bury Club meetings and a Southport meeting as well as trying them at all the oOple meetings above and I'm still on the same pair. In fact yesterday at Bury, they were giving so much rear drive and grip I was struggling with quite a bit of understeer!

You can now get a front Proline called a Wedge Squared which looks very much like a Schumacher cut stagger and it works very well, in fact it has grip and hardly any grip roll.

Whilst the Prolines are somewhat more expensive to buy in the first place they last a heck of a lot longer with in my opinion not much drop in performance. I tried them back to back with Darts at Bury yesterday and the Pinpoints were way quicker.

They won't work at every club but for the average club driver and if rules allow, i would invest in a set of Z3 rear Pinpoints and Z3 front Wedge Squared and try them out. You might find you have to alter your cars setup in 2WD as the Pinpoints provide a lot of forward drive.

I'm interested in trying some of these , could you recommend of where to get some of these from ? Was having a little look and saw they had a soft and medium compound which one would you suggest trying ? I run mainly on astro which happens to be have less grip than usual this year.
Old 04-06-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
Pinpoints are no use at Nationals though, i thought this was a general chat not specifically about the Oople series ??? unless i missed something ?
Hi Stuart, Dan Osbourne mentioned the oOple Series for the upcoming Mendip Round and said he was looking at buying two sets of Darts.

I realise it does not include the Nationals however CML approached oOple to promote their tyres in our Series because other Series were not, so we took a chance and so far so good.

Maybe in future years the Nationals will look at Prolines instead of/as well as Schumachers?

My own opinion of the National Series is that to get consistency out of your car at such a high level you should run new tyres every run, that's why the top lads do it. Paul Worsley stated as much on his recent appearance on the State of RC Podcast.

The National Series should be for the very top performers and if you want to compete with them you have to accept the costs involved.

Regrettably with the power available in 2WD now you will always burn through soft compound tyres, the only way to stop that is a motor limit but then people will cheat when you impose that sort of limit.

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Last edited by WHITTLER555; 04-06-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2018

Thats fine, my mistake. When you started of 'clearing things up' it sounded like people were moaning about the oople series which i hadnt seen and i thought it was just general that was all
Old 04-06-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie5974 View Post
thank you, will get a set or 2 ready for the oople meeting to try!
Hi, if you are looking at two sets then get the front wedge squared in both Z3 and Z4 compound and the Rear pinpoints in Z3 and Z4

Z3 = Harder - weirdly I've found they work better as they dig in to the surface - they feel like plastic but don't let that put you off

Z4 = Softer - bit more give in the sidewall, more like a Yellow Minipin. They won't last half as long as the Z3's but that will be about 20 more runs than a yellow Dart.

Old 04-06-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
Thats fine, my mistake. When you started of 'clearing things up' it sounded like people were moaning about the oople series which i hadnt seen and i thought it was just general that was all
Actually I've mis quoted Dan, he said it might cost £££'s for Darts at Mendip oople not two pairs that was someone else.

So I wanted to cover off the fact we have also nominated Prolines.

It's new to us as well, but as a resilient tyre they deserve a try, if its dry astro, short pile with not much sand they are very good.

Old 04-06-2018

The speed of the cars nowadays is so fast compared to even 3 years ago, the tyres have become faster and cars handling improved but at the sacrifice of tyre wear.
The other point people make is that it’s actually a lot cheaper to race these days because we don’t have to buy loads of motors and batteries all the time.
We don’t have to maintain motors, we don’t have to have fancy charger/dischargers.
Tyre wear is tyre wear, if it’s a big meeting I’ll run new tyres but on random sundays when it’s not busy and doesn’t mean anything then I’ll run ruined 4 meeting old tyres including practice

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 04-06-2018

I am an old occasional club racer these days, and I was thinking the other day I hardly race my B6. I think the main reason is the prospect of being lucky to get through a club meeting on 2 sets of darts. At the Herts regional a couple of my mates ran a new set in 2wd every run, and my CAT XLS took a lot out of one set on the rear.
Having a single supplier of a control tyre works well for them, but someone who may be happy to use a slightly slower tyre to get better value for money is not able to. I don't think its a healthy situation, and this is hardly the first time this subject has come up is it?
It must be time for a rethink before too many people are put off racing because of this. If you want to use a new set a run good luck, but perhaps that's not for everyone?
Old 04-06-2018

maybe a choice of tyres for all brca sanctioned events would allow the budget minded racer the chance/choice to race, and promote the sport in a better light than limitting it to the cash rules format its good to see one series offering a choice of two tyre suppliers for there events but then again as brca members are we not all guilty of not pushing this at the agm and changing the rule
Old 04-06-2018

I feel sorry for you buggy guys these days .. we run 1/8 on/offroad Rallycross at Mendip with big cars on 3s lipo that'll do 40mph and can easily get a set of tyres to last 2 months !!!

... thats a total cost of £33 !!
Old 04-06-2018
Mad Member

I was at a regional recently and asked a team driver with the same car as me for his setup. It was similar to mine and turned out the main difference was he used a new set of rears for every run. That’s 7 sets of rears for a regional as he made the a final! I didn’t enjoy driving my car after my tyres had done one run as it had no grip, but I refuse to run a new set every time. Have to say I am looking at 8th scale ebuggy seriously.
Old 04-06-2018

You can get Pinpoints from LMR. At least I did.

I ran the Z3 in first two rounds at Mendip yesterday. Only changed to Darts to prep for Regional. IMHO, they aren't quite as good, but for club meetings on a budget, well worth a try.

I'd second everything Damo has said about them.
Old 04-06-2018

To add to that a set of rears isn't unusable after 1 heat. They're perfectly good for practice/club racing. So saying that we need a new set every run doesn't necessarily mean that the cost over a longer period is higher. It means tyre management.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a more durable tyre used in racing, to reduce the cost that is indeed increasing. But it needs to be a control tyre used by all on that meeting series to ensure a level playing field.
If a faster tyre is also allowed then naturally people will use that if it matters to them...

At my local track the pinpoint works, but in z3 they're quite a bit slower than the yellow darts. Z4 seems to be very close in pace, lasts substantially better than the darts and even more importantly they are consistent over multiple runs.

Quote:
Hi Stuart, Dan Osbourne mentioned the oOple Series for the upcoming Mendip Round and said he was looking at buying two sets of Darts.

I realise it does not include the Nationals however CML approached oOple to promote their tyres in our Series because other Series were not, so we took a chance and so far so good.

Maybe in future years the Nationals will look at Prolines instead of/as well as Schumachers?

My own opinion of the National Series is that to get consistency out of your car at such a high level you should run new tyres every run, that's why the top lads do it. Paul Worsley stated as much on his recent appearance on the State of RC Podcast.

The National Series should be for the very top performers and if you want to compete with them you have to accept the costs involved.

Regrettably with the power available in 2WD now you will always burn through soft compound tyres, the only way to stop that is a motor limit but then people will cheat when you impose that sort of limit.
Old 04-06-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Should go back to rear motor. Didn't have this tyre wear back then. Think I only bought 1 set of TR32s and 1 set of mini spike green all year in 1991.....

COME BACK REAR MOTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think thats the issue Mark, I personally think it's the amount of power available to us now is the biggest factor with tyre wear. Back in the day we used to run a 13/14x2 in 2wd and 11x2 in 4wd. Would be interesting to see what the motors back then relate to current motors.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 04-06-2018
Mad Member

Quote:

Thanks damo will give those a try as running 3 cars is a expensive

Is z3 the compound ?
Old 04-06-2018
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I’ve basically given up 1/10th Racing because of this.
At kidderminster, the Z3 tyres lasted really well and gripped okay, but the performance/laptime just isn’t there when compared to a yellow dart. Yes it was 1.5 secs a lap slower. Put on a yellow dart and your instantly faster. Not sure if this is down to sand, rubber in the Astro etc... but running 2 sets of rears and 1 set of fronts per meeting just isn’t sustainable for me.
1 set per run is simply no go, and why I’ve not done regionals for the last 10 years as it’s not enjoyable not being competitive due to size of your wallet.

I’m now doing mini / oval and v cheap. 6 meetings on a pair of rear tyres and only £5 for a new pair truedand glued on wheels.