Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 07-06-2009
Mad Member

Default D4 Servo Woes

Hi all

Having a few problems with my d4 destroying servos and wondered if anyone has had similar problems or could offer any advice.

I have gone through 2 (cheap acoms) servos in 3 weeks. The first one failed quickly as i discovered the servo saver was solid. I took this apart and greased it all up and made sure it had give in it. Things seem much better but again today it killed another servo. Is there a trick to these servo savers and knowing how tight they should be?

I figure my other option is to get a metal geared servo. Any advice gratefully received

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by dibble34; 07-06-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spellin mistake
Old 07-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You don't need a metal geared servo, you just need a decent servo. The cheap Acoms ones aren't very good at all.
I'm not running metal gears in my D4 - I've got a plastic geared KO. Its a high end servo, just not metal. Before the D4 it lived in my Cat'98. I removed it from the Cat for the D4 and replaced it with an Acoms AS7 I had lying around. It lasted less than 4 mins. The Ko has been in there for years !
Old 07-06-2009
Mad Member

Thanks, i figured the acoms might not be high enough spec for the D4. I can't get a KO as out of my price range, but i'll look into getting something a bit better. I think Hitec do some tougher servo's. Car has such good steering i just went for a cheap servo, didn't occur to me about it not being tough enough.
Old 07-06-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I mate, KO servos rock. However I killed mine today after finding the servo saver glued up in my B4..

I'd look at KO, Savox or Sanwa. Going to run a Savox in my B4 when I get it back and KO the Losi (fingers crossed my 1001 fet.)
Old 07-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
I mate, KO servos rock. However I killed mine today after finding the servo saver glued up in my B4..

I'd look at KO, Savox or Sanwa. Going to run a Savox in my B4 when I get it back and KO the Losi (fingers crossed my 1001 fet.)
Ouch mate sounds expensive. Just purchased a 2nd hand hitec for £7 posted from the bay, looks quite good so fingers crossed.

Gonna also make sure the wheels don't turn too far as i guess that won't help!
Old 09-06-2009
Mad Member

Hi All

I now have a replacement servo, looking at the D4 Manual I have to make sure the steering arm is pointing straight up when fitting to the servo. Looking at the manual it should then be able to move 90 degrees right and left. Is this right? Seems like a lot of travel to me?

Any advise gratefully received, desperate not to destroy servo number 3

Cheers

Dave