Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 18-06-2012

Default Hello slipper assembly

i have yet again worn sliper plates out.. just woundered what parts i would need to build a gd slipper assembly for x6 it also rubed on inside slipper bit on motor plate what would u reccommend thanks
Old 18-06-2012
Mad Member

Put a spacer, 0.010" will probably do, inside the inner plate to space the assembly out. Our #6450 axle shims should work. Use two if necessary. That will stop the rubbing on the motor plate, and probably make the car faster too.

Are you wearing out the inside part of the plate where it contacts the pad? If that's the problem, my first guess is that you are running the slipper too loose. Again, with a correctly adjusted slipper you'll be faster.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 18-06-2012

ok sound what slipper pads n plates are u using wb craig
Old 18-06-2012

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

The slipper pads are pretty easy: Associated part ASC9603 has a pair of pads, and those are what nearly everyone uses.

For the rest of the assembly you have some options. Of course we recommend our own XF 5530 slipper plates; combined with the ASC9605 slipper spring and a good 5-40 locknut (XF 6074 for a cheap pack of 6 locknuts) and you have the exact slipper assembly we provide in our K021 entire car kit. While the adjustment range is kind of small due to the weak spring, this slipper assembly is well-proven. Properly spaced (use a .010" axle shim as Chazz suggested) and adjusted, it should provide a very long service life. I'm not sure what you consider "worn out" - the plates will get slightly streaked/discolored through normal use; I only replace them if they get pitted or scratched from debris.

About a year ago Associated came out with their "V2" slipper. It features a bigger/stiffer spring which provides greater adjustment range. To put that together you'll need ASC7485 V2 slipper plates and ASC7486 V2 slipper spring, all still held on with a good 5-40 lock nut. This slipper has better tension and a bigger adjustment range, but probably the same service life as the assembly above.

Finally, if you want to go all-out, you can get Associated's vented V2 slipper plates (ASC7495). I think they're a little over-kill (double the price) for our short races, but they do look trick.
Old 18-06-2012

ok cheers
Old 18-06-2012

Does the new slipper basket from the SC10 4x4 fit the X6?
Old 18-06-2012

How often do you change the pads Paul? Do you clean them up after they glaze or just replace them?
Old 18-06-2012

BeachBuggyPhil: I don't know, I'll look into it. EDIT: an AE driver and friend just responded to my text; No the SC10 4x4 slipper parts/assembly will not fit on an SC10/B4/X-6. The parts look the same but they're scaled a bit bigger.

ianjoyner: I rarely replace the pads - again, only really when they get pitted or massively scratched from some small piece of debris. I do clean the pads with my hobby knife from fairly frequently - once ever two or three races, pretty much whenever I have reason to take the slipper apart. I do that by putting the pad on a hard flat surface and scraping it sideways with the hobby knife blade, scraping off the glazed surface and revealing new pad beneath. When I do finally replace the pads, I replace the slipper plates as well.

I use the "hold the rear tires and punch it!" method of setting my slipper before each race: put the radio on the left tire, hold the right tire, and give it a burst of full throttle. Assuming everything's working correctly (and you're not eating your diff) the slipper will slip as the front end rises off the bench slightly, and you adjust from there.

Well, the first time after cleaning the slipper pads, or when I've just put in new pads and plates, I find I have to essentially heat-cycle them or I'll get some slipper "fade" through the next run, while the pads seat themselves. It's kind of like breaking in a diff to me. Essentially what I do is leave the slipper on the loose side, hold the rear tires, and give the car 5 to 10 seconds of throttle. Make sure the outside slipper plate gets decently hot, that's the whole point. Give it a few seconds and then tighten/adjust the slipper to where you want it for the upcoming run.

I've linked it in another thread recently, but I can't stress enough: the third page of this document is my EXACT process before each practice, qualifying, and main race.
Old 19-06-2012
Mad Member

I think Paul forgot the link: http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/Tech/In...ls.php#X6SqrEC

This is the manual for the K 021 Entire Car. He is suggesting you look at the Race Prep section and the Tuning Guide. You can download them or print them out, as well as any other part of the manual you want.

We think the Prep section and Tuning Guide are so good we are considering offering them for sale as a stand-alone printed book. Any comments on that? Would you pay $4.99 for one?

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 19-06-2012

He didn't, click on "this document".

Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBuggyPhil View Post
He didn't, click on "this document".

Old 19-06-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair View Post

I use the "hold the rear tires and punch it!" method of setting my slipper before each race: put the radio on the left tire, hold the right tire, and give it a burst of full throttle. Assuming everything's working correctly (and you're not eating your diff) the slipper will slip as the front end rises off the bench slightly, and you adjust from there.
But tip , make sure you keep your bodily parts away. As you dont want a shock tower imprint on your face
Old 23-06-2012

I currently run the v1 slipper, is there any real advantage to upgrading to the v2 slipper?

Also, has anyone used the associated high torque slipper pads? if so, how do they perform?

KEEP RIGHT ON
BLUE IS BETTER
Old 23-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
I think Paul forgot the link: http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/Tech/In...ls.php#X6SqrEC

This is the manual for the K 021 Entire Car. He is suggesting you look at the Race Prep section and the Tuning Guide. You can download them or print them out, as well as any other part of the manual you want.

We think the Prep section and Tuning Guide are so good we are considering offering them for sale as a stand-alone printed book. Any comments on that? Would you pay $4.99 for one?
"Chazz" I would have one,very handy to take along to race meetings...
Old 24-06-2012
Mad Member

Thanks for the response, Chippy. We have thought that most instruction manuals are taken to the track for the tuning & set-up info. Rarely does anybody need to review step B-6. So why take our 80-page book? Heavy and takes up too much space.

Then we thought, nobody would buy the Tuning Guide because everybody has their laptop at the track, and the Guide is accessible on line. We also thought about putting the instruction manual on CD rather than printing it, also because "everybody" has their laptop at the track. But response to that idea taught us the majority still do not have the laptop at the track, so the CD idea was abandoned, and we continue to print 80-page manuals.

So, please, some additional response. How many agree that people haul the manual around for the Tuning Guide, not the instructos, and, if so, how many would pay a small sum to have a much smaller Tuning Guide that works for every brand and type of car?

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 24-06-2012

I continually forget what adjustments to make and how they effect the car.
I also have to admit my car wasn't bought new so a pocket/hauler bag sized version of the tuning guide/manual would be very helpful.
I adjusted my anti squat the wrong way on the first day and didn't realise until Chippy pointed it out.
I'm new to ball diffs as well so an idiots guide to that would be appreciated.
There is very poor phone reception at our track so going online via a phone isn't possible.

My fingers are crossed for a successful second race day with the X6 this Tuesday.
No pressure!
Old 25-06-2012
Mad Member

Keep having fun, Phil.. Good luck this week.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 25-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by arransmith27 View Post
I currently run the v1 slipper, is there any real advantage to upgrading to the v2 slipper?

Also, has anyone used the associated high torque slipper pads? if so, how do they perform?
I like the V2 slipper assembly better, but I don't think it's a critical, run right out and grab it, upgrade. Rather, maybe the next time you replace the pads/plates pick up the new plates and spring assembly then. It's really just giving you a wider adjustment window, and it's easier to get the same setting race after race.
Old 28-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair View Post
I like the V2 slipper assembly better, but I don't think it's a critical, run right out and grab it, upgrade. Rather, maybe the next time you replace the pads/plates pick up the new plates and spring assembly then. It's really just giving you a wider adjustment window, and it's easier to get the same setting race after race.
Thanks Paul

Mine has been slipping massively, stripped it down and it was toast (although it was 6 years old, so served me well)

Gone for the vented v2 slipper

KEEP RIGHT ON
BLUE IS BETTER