Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 28-12-2006

Default Building my X5

I am just building my X-5 and i have got to the point of fitting the rear bumper which fits but the rear brace does not it falls off

I know there is no mention of the brace in the instructions but it was included in the kit and I feel it is needed on there or is it not ?????

Help please i was very happy with the build up to this point the transmition is as free as a bird
Old 28-12-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

you can buy BK1 rear hinge pins which will keep the brace on the car using E clips. Or you can do a few other things;

1/ Bend the brace slightly, this will keep it in place, but isnt a 100% bullet proof solution

2/ buy the atomic carbon rear brace which is alot thicker, blinger and wont fall off and needs no mods.
Old 28-12-2006

Thanks so X-Factory don't expect you to fit the brace then ?

Ill search my spares box and try to find some hing pins with clips to secure it i feel it need somthing

X-Faxtory have let there kit down here i feel and the fact you don't get the front b4 brace, and the X-Factory Mod screws to secure the front hub carriers was also not included which i fell should have been

My wife Bought me the Full kit for Xmas and i feel she has paid over the odds for what you get .......

But i LOVE IT
Old 28-12-2006

I use old shock shafts instead of the stock hingepins. I use the e-clip to retain the brace and had no problems since.
Blame a poor design from Losi, not X-Factory.
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

Hi,

The whole brace thing on the back is exactly the same as on the XX4 as you're using all XX4 parts except the chassis which is identical at the very back to the Losi one. As Gayo says, blame Losi

To back up what Paul says, use XXX (doesn't have to be the BK1 ones) rear inner hinge pins and you can fit an e-clip on either end, I did this when I built mine and they have never come off so my nice blue brace still looks good as new

The front brace is the B2/B3 one not B4 one. Our local club shop guy did have some for £1.50 I think, I can send you one at cost if you like, will see him next on 7th Jan. In fairness to Chazz, I don't believe he claims to include any of the new parts with the X5 kit.

I built my current car from a complete kit from Chazz at the start of the year and it's still practically like new. Obviously I've replaced a few things over the year but a new built X5 should last ages!

Any other questions about the build, let us know on here.

Where do you race?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-12-2006

Thanks i have sorted the rear brace out there is a slight difference at the rear of the car , The rear of the chassie Tub does not have the added lugs on it like the losi chassie has so the hing pin if slid all the way forword to the tub allowes the rear brace to just fall off.....

I have now cured this by sticking 2 spacers to the rear of the tub keeping the pin back a little so the rear brace is far enough back for it not to fall off.....

I know Chazz does not mention the new parts included in the kit i just assumed it would be up to date

Great Car i agree

Any idea where i can get diff outdrive protectors from i have 2 nice shinny silver ones and would like 2 more to match for the front ??

I Race at Ipswich new track and hopfuly going to do some of the local Essex / Suffolk tracks in the summer
Old 29-12-2006

I am at the next stage now and the rear drive shafts seem to short i have done as instructed are the instructions out of date if i move the outer hinge pin into the inside hole it looks like it will be fine

Or have i missed somthing here ?????
Old 29-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
I am at the next stage now and the rear drive shafts seem to short i have done as instructed are the instructions out of date if i move the outer hinge pin into the inside hole it looks like it will be fine

Or have i missed somthing here ?????
are you running bk2 rear arms? if so yes you will need to use the inside hole.
Old 29-12-2006

Don't know they are the arms suppled in the X-Factory full car kit i assumed they were xx4 .......

No i just checked my packet of spare XX4 rear arms no they are not xx4

what are BK2 arms?????
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

Losi only sell the BK2 wishbones which are identical but have an extra hole out for the VLA on the BK2. So you cannot use that hole with the stock XXCR hubs which the XX4 comes with.

If you tried to use wider driveshafts to make it fit it would no longer fit in the box, so would not be BRCA legal.

I believe you can now use the XXX CR hubs on the X5, but I haven't tried this so have no idea how you fit them.

I have left the extra holes one previously but have heard they can catch on certain types of wheels, not sure which ones. You can of course cut/file/dremmel them off.

Ref the chassis question, you're absolutly right, I forgot about those extra bits. I'd forgot cos everyone does as you have done and just stick a couple of bits of plastic on if you're running the stock hinge pins. If you get some longer pins it should still all fit fine with them left on.

Ref the diff, I assume you are going to run a plastic diff in the back and front then? I can only suggest checking ebay or Losi now do new outdrives with a thin drive ring already on them, I don't use these.

However don't dismiss running the steel diff in the back. I noticed that Tricky and Ellis ( 1 and 2 overall at nationals last year!!!!) both run Steel diffs in the back almost EVERYWHERE. When I noticed this I ran it at Telford national and the 1 time I've run my X5 indoors and am sure I prefer it. They may run it for the binding of the driveshafts against the steel diff, but I prefer the car with a little more weight in the rear, heance I deliberatly run the receiver and transponder at the back, either side behind the rear. Transponder is always a handout one, mounted on its side on a peice of lexan bent into an L shape and taped to the tranny tunnel. Here's a pic of my car from a while back.

HTH

Dan

Nortech is ACE!

Last edited by super__dan; 29-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

Here's another ic actually

As I say, you cannot buy the old XX wishbones anymore, hence I guess Chazz now has to supply the kit with the BK2 ones.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-12-2006

if you have two sets of holes for the hear hindge pin than they are bk2 rears. they also fit the xxx, xxx4, xx4 and the X5. on the X5 you use the inside hole. the xxx-cr in EA3 compound would only have one set of holes that would fit the X5 just fine. Losi only makes the arms you have in graphite anymore. one size fits all.......
Old 29-12-2006

Thanks

Dan where do you get those great looking cell straps the brown thing that comes with the X5 just is not going in my car i know it will do the job but i don't want people to take the micky out of my new ride

I did read somwhere about using Cat hold downs but i cant find any of them

Yours look well good ????? I want some !!!!!!!!
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

They are indeed the Schumacher ones, still available from anywhere. I believe the part# is U744 but will try to look out the header card to confirm. The plastic 4 cell strap is very good on the X5, but I prefer the Schumacher one on the 2 cell side, then put the other one purely to match.

I have seen people make up almost factory looking straps from other things, see here for ideas http://eraprise.com/4wdrcbb/viewtopi...8f312c0a73c9f0

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-12-2006

Yep Dan you are right that was the part number i have just orded mine you have made me very happy Cheers
Old 30-12-2006

Nearly there looking like a buggy now motor servo reciver all installed just the ESC to go

I have Just found a bad with 4 small square bits of plastic in about 10mm x 7mm where do they go i seem to have missed somthing , I have been though the manual again but can't find them anywhere & also the 2 flat plastic bits rounded one end with a hole in them seem to be left on my work bench are these to give kickup / squat ?????

hopfuly ill post a pic tommorow time permiting .....
Old 30-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
Nearly there looking like a buggy now motor servo reciver all installed just the ESC to go

I have Just found a bad with 4 small square bits of plastic in about 10mm x 7mm where do they go i seem to have missed somthing , I have been though the manual again but can't find them anywhere & also the 2 flat plastic bits rounded one end with a hole in them seem to be left on my work bench are these to give kickup / squat ?????

hopfuly ill post a pic tommorow time permiting .....
Not sure about the 10x7 squares but the other items are anti squat shims.
Old 31-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

Agreed, the wedges go under the front screws of the rear toe in blocks if you want more anti squat, or under the back if you want less.

I also can't think what the other bits are, defo need a picture!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 31-12-2006

i glued one of those square plastic bits onto the chassis so that the rear hingepins couldn't slide forward. One on each side. That stopped the rear hingepine brace from falling off
Old 01-01-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
Losi only sell the BK2 wishbones which are identical but have an extra hole out for the VLA on the BK2. So you cannot use that hole with the stock XXCR hubs which the XX4 comes with.

If you tried to use wider driveshafts to make it fit it would no longer fit in the box, so would not be BRCA legal.

I believe you can now use the XXX CR hubs on the X5, but I haven't tried this so have no idea how you fit them.

I have left the extra holes one previously but have heard they can catch on certain types of wheels, not sure which ones. You can of course cut/file/dremmel them off.

Ref the chassis question, you're absolutly right, I forgot about those extra bits. I'd forgot cos everyone does as you have done and just stick a couple of bits of plastic on if you're running the stock hinge pins. If you get some longer pins it should still all fit fine with them left on.

Ref the diff, I assume you are going to run a plastic diff in the back and front then? I can only suggest checking ebay or Losi now do new outdrives with a thin drive ring already on them, I don't use these.

However don't dismiss running the steel diff in the back. I noticed that Tricky and Ellis ( 1 and 2 overall at nationals last year!!!!) both run Steel diffs in the back almost EVERYWHERE. When I noticed this I ran it at Telford national and the 1 time I've run my X5 indoors and am sure I prefer it. They may run it for the binding of the driveshafts against the steel diff, but I prefer the car with a little more weight in the rear, heance I deliberatly run the receiver and transponder at the back, either side behind the rear. Transponder is always a handout one, mounted on its side on a peice of lexan bent into an L shape and taped to the tranny tunnel. Here's a pic of my car from a while back.

HTH

Dan

You can fit the XXXcr hubs and wishbones as a straight fit but they need to be done at the same time.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk