Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > S-Workz

Old 26-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Good going Steve,

I totally agree about the rear end being too locked in so I went out with the intention of trying to make the front of the car more nimble off power as I've found the car consistent but a little safe so far.
The track was around 50/50 very high grip carpet and slippy gym floor. Even on the slippy sweeper at the end of the straight the car just wouldn't come round enough into turn one losing a lot of time.

Through the day I increased the front caster to give a little more steering through the corner and increased the rear wheelbase to take some of the weight off the rear tyres. I noticed that the rear had lots of droop and the front very little so I unwound the front shock eyelets 3.5 turns (maybe a little too much so will maybe reduce to 2 turns for next time) which made the car far more balanced front to rear and settled the car a lot when going through the skippy bumps as the car landed between them far better. The biggest improvement in making the car feel more racey was to move the front shocks to the inner hole on the front wishbone which gave me the steering i needed to keep the car tight into the corner although the rear was a little looser on corner exit.

I'd been around a second a lap slower than Team C driver Adam Perei's fast laps all day but these changes put me just .2 of a second off his quickest for the final. I stayed with Adam for half the race before getting caught on the carpeted ramp somehow losing a few seconds and drove a few tatty laps allowing Adam to drive away with a faultless run.

Given that this is only the 3rd time ive ever raced a 4wd I need to start learning to drive the car more like a 4wd and not like a 2wd. That said to be on pace with Adam who is a very quick driver especially on low grip surfaces with years of 4wd experience is very promising. This car is getting better and better and inspires confidence.

Fellow Sworkz driver Mark Redmond rolled home in 3rd. Running a far different setup to mine he didn't quite get onto his usual pace yesterday. We was running far different diff oil setups with 500k in mine and on 20k in Mark's centre diff. As you would expect Mark's was far smoother on power than mine but was still trying different shock oil combo's to get the desired feel. I was running 600/400 oils with AE purple front and AE green rear springs where Mark was running 650/300 oils but unsure of springs- I'm sure he will share shortly.

Young Hayden Calf is learning quickly and got far more assured with his car through the day. Hayden was running new faster equipment for the first time on a slippy track so took a little bit of getting used to the conditions and extra speed. Hayden looked nice and assured and I'm sure when he's got used to the extra power in the car he will develop into a very handy driver.

Onwards and upwards for Sworkz!!!

Thanks once again to Sworkz UK/Answer RC for the support.

Chris
Sounds like Mark may have found what i have found this morning. I reported my weekend findings back to Kev, and after a chat about things, i loaded 15k into the centre diff this morning and had a scud about on my living room carpet.

All i shall say is i know living room carpet isnt the same as racing carpet, but ill be trying 15k in the centre tomorrow night for sure. currently in the diffs is 20-15-10

On the shock side of things i found the 1.4 piston in the front stopped the car from slapping the deck so easily. the additional 1mm holes on the rear pistons took away a fair chunk of the pack that the 1.5 pistons have on the rear. it now soaks up bumps and lands jumps so much better
Old 26-10-2015

Sounds good! I will try the thinner diff oil too for the next meeting especially when I'm running on high grip. We both suffered from a little of the front wheel lifting on power using both 500k and 20k centre diff oils. My thinking has been that this issue was caused by the thick centre diff oil but it may be something else as Mark suffered it too.

What pistons are you using? The ones from the kit but drilled out?

I'm racing on predominately low grip tracks through the winter so my shock package will probably differ from yours somewhat.

Chris
Old 26-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Sounds good! I will try the thinner diff oil too for the next meeting especially when I'm running on high grip. We both suffered from a little of the front wheel lifting on power using both 500k and 20k centre diff oils. My thinking has been that this issue was caused by the thick centre diff oil but it may be something else as Mark suffered it too.

What pistons are you using? The ones from the kit but drilled out?

I'm racing on predominately low grip tracks through the winter so my shock package will probably differ from yours somewhat.

Chris
Its just caused by the rear collapsing under power.

Biggest improvement on this for me has been to add some anti squat, and running the longer wheelbase. I am running mine with 3mm off the rear arms, and 2mm in front of the rear hub. i think it comes out at 280mm, when the kit max wheelbase is 278mm

Running mini pin 2 tyres doesnt help either as they generate so much grip.

I will be going back to mini pin 1 after tomorrow night - and thats only cos i have 4 sets of scrubbed ones from the weekend that i dont wanna just throw in the bin after 2 runs on each

Yes, just melting and drilling the kit pistons
Old 26-10-2015

Also at 1st Latvian indoor offroad race EVO debuted very successful
After qualification I took P3 on starting grid at A-main, and my 10years old son was 6th at B final. As we have small track, so at each final it is only 6 cars.
Final positions: I finished 2nd overal , my son was 11th overal, but 1st at junior clasification

Just a small (not good quality) video to understand what type of track we run
Short video at A1, vid. begins with my car, while I was at P1, which I lost quite quick, but kept P2 till end of race
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dMdWpKaWxGRW1n
And next small one - start of A3 my car at P3
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dMdWpKaWxGRW1n
Old 27-10-2015

Well done hardis... i cant view the videos - get a restriction error
Old 28-10-2015

Default 12mm hexes

Has anybody tried putting 12mm hexes on from another car?
Old 28-10-2015

Not that I've seen on any of the forums... Here... Rc tech etc.

The 2wd comes with 12mm hex front and both 12mm hex and 14mm hex rears... So hopefully we can use those on the evo
Old 28-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywoods View Post
Has anybody tried putting 12mm hexes on from another car?

Wouldnt fit, axels are too big
Old 28-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
Wouldnt fit, axels are too big
I know the axles are too big but what iam thinking is changing the driveshafts and hub has anybody looked into this certainly on the rear
Old 28-10-2015

I don't see why that can't be done Andy, that's what I intend to do when the 2wd comes out. Shouldn't be hard to change over
Old 28-10-2015

Bury's indoor meeting on Sunday was a big learning curve for me with the evo. The way I drive is smooth in to the corner and fast out of it. One of the handling traits the car has on high grip is the rear end squatting/collapsing hard and lifting the the front inside wheel, this happens when coming out of the corner and getting hard on the throttle. To stop this happening it's normally a case of going heavier on the rear roll bar and spring, smaller hole piston and/or heavier oil in the rear, shorter and lower rear link to make the car square up faster, more or less anti squat 'depending on make of car'.

After changing all of these settings from one extreme to another, it made no difference, and the car would still do it. So that now tells me that it's a power/drive train transfer problem and not so much a suspension issue. So I came down in the centre diff oil to 20k and it really started to improve it, for the Final I dropped it down to 10k and again it felt better, but it was still there. After reading posts from people who retro fitted a centre diff in the Sworkz 104 ek1, most said that they found the same thing happening after fitting a centre diff. I found that on the slippy section of the track 10k all round felt really good, but as soon as I got on the carpet I was loosing a lot of time as I couldn't drive it the way I wanted to.

So now I am trying to fit a slipper clutch to the car, and then test it this weekend and see if that resolves the issue for me. I do think the front end is over damped and under packed with the standard kit pistons and needs a smaller hole piston so we don't have to use such heavy oil in the front, it also needs a much stiffer front spring compared to the rear, as it helps keep the front end more level over jumps and bumps.

I will post up my findings after the weekend.
Old 28-10-2015

I found after a couple of laps 15k that it lost too much drive as the oil warmed up. I will be trying 50k next

Mine does not squat down anymore though even if I run 500k centre. I found wheelbase was the main cause of this. I am running 3mm off the rear arms and 2 mm in front of the rear hubs.
Old 30-10-2015

Car has been out for a few months now, how is everyone getting on?

Any issues? Tips and tricks you have learned?

I've been making solid progress with the car so would be interested in other people's experiences.

Chris
Old 03-11-2015

made some really good progress with the car tonight with a different approach to setup. Softer shocks, lighter diffs, heavier roll bars, and a change of tyres.

finished qualifying running about 7 seconds quicker than last week.

sheet is here: http://www.sjgs.co/setups/s14_2_20151103_maritime.pdf
Old 18-11-2015

Default New parts coming next week

https://www.facebook.com/sworkzrc/po...19046718135153
Old 24-11-2015

2nd indoor stage at Latvian indoor ofroad champinship finished.
At practice day I tested several new settings and allways came back to my previous setup, as it worked very good, car was easy to drive and I was able to make laps in the same speed as the fastest guys.
Quali`s I finished 3rd.
So started from P3, all finals finished at 3rd and was 3rd in overal race results.
My fastest laps where at the same level as for fastes drivers, but my mistakes placed me where I finished
At A1 and A3 at the very begining of race I fliped over,so was back on last position and during the race I get back to P3.

Car was very good on high grip carpet, no such problems like Mark wrote...I was able to push as hard I wish nad almost with standard car kit...just some mods made.
I can`t attach setup sheet as it shows file is to big...but will try to add it later.

Here is video from A3, I started at P3, but the main herros at this video where other two guys who battled for the win.
At the first my post about EVO car I wrote that I like how this car is predictable... on this vid you can see at three times how I sattle the car after 2wheel drive back to all four... 3month ago I thought it can be done only by pro drivesr with cat refexes, but here on 1.33min, 2.02min and 2.14min you can see how it can be done, by no pro driver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkL-xZbLRlg