Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReferee View Post
when the belt cuts a groove through the expensive and now non replaceable club transponder.
Oh I see, so mainly a 4wd prob then?
Old 09-05-2011
Mad Member

Would always suggest that hand-out transponders are securely mounted inside the bodyshell rather than on the wing!

Yes there is the slim possibility of damage by belt of spur in a 4WD but conversely a transponder that falls from a wing can lead to hours of pleasure pacing the track looking for the priceless commodity!
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookie View Post
Would always suggest that hand-out transponders are securely mounted inside the bodyshell rather than on the wing!

Yes there is the slim possibility of damage by belt of spur in a 4WD but conversely a transponder that falls from a wing can lead to hours of pleasure pacing the track looking for the priceless commodity!
That's why I always (and still do) thought why mounting in the shell was better - whenever my PT unpinned itself, at least was contained within the shell so wouldn't do a runner - all you'd be down was a body clip.

I found that if you clipped the bodyclip over both ridges in the bodyclip then it wouldn't run anywhere
Old 17-06-2011

hi guys, what i find is just remember to have FUN and if you take some1 with you to help in the pits that would be a geat help but to be fair any were ive raced theres normaly some1 willing to help, im very new to 1/8 racing any more tips
Old 06-07-2011

All it counts to me is Racing.. and i like all kinds of topic related to racing....
Old 29-07-2011

Thanks, very useful!!!
Old 04-08-2011

On the marshalling point, i would just say, marshal the way you would like to be marshalled if you crash, at recent meeting i have noticed that marshals are watching the race rather than the section of track the are positioned at. If you crash you expect the marshal to react as quick as possible to your car, if your watching the race you not going to react as quick as they do.
Old 14-09-2011
oOple Journalist

Thumbs up marshal techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrturtle View Post
On the marshalling point, i would just say, marshal the way you would like to be marshalled if you crash, at recent meeting i have noticed that marshals are watching the race rather than the section of track the are positioned at. If you crash you expect the marshal to react as quick as possible to your car, if your watching the race you not going to react as quick as they do.
A good point to remember with the preassure of marshal duities is to get in and out quickly and after you have turned or untangled the cars in your zone, leave the track area whilst watching the race traffic coming at you. Nothing worse than hitting a marshal ..or being hit by a buggy for that matter

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 14-09-2011

Brilliant guide m8, very interesting and something a lot of newbies to the sport should have a read of.
Old 09-10-2011
Mad Member

Thumbs up Great advice

I have now completed 2 race meets, one at torch, my 1st, and one at the new indoor at shrccc. After 22 years out of the game.

I have to say the post had great acurate advice as i found on my 1st meet.
Be ready to get racing as it runs quickly if your not ready.

Ask anyone for advice, dont be shy, the 10th off roaders, as they were 22 years ago, are GREAT guys and always happy to help out a newby or an old timer returning.

I am very happy to be back in the game, with my used cougar SV at a bargain price from one of the westwood bros, (Jay).

2 lipos are ample, a charger and tools, along with some spares(bashed the car a bit 1st meet lol)

I would say, to returning people, dont use the old stuff, they are not man enough for the new brushless motors and lipos etc, get a new buggy, sell the old one, the new ones have slipper clutches, needed to stop ripping ya gears apart!
there is plenty of choice and to be honest, there very cheap now, compared to years ago, there the same price kit/battery/esc etc, but in 20 years, the price is the same but cost of living has gone up loads.

when i gave up 22 years ago, i have £5000 of car stuff( A final club level) in the boot of my £500 cortina.
sold it all and bought an XR3 lol..... 18 years old and found night clubs and women......... hehe

Now, for £350 for an RTR car and lipo/charger, to around £750 for a top spec car and esc and all the better toys. Its VERY cheap.

Go second hand on things and its even cheaper.

in the old days guys, we had 10 to 20 motors, 10 to 20 nicads, motor tuners, peak chargers, one use per day nicads, run for 5min 10 seconds and done. all about power versus lasting 5 mins...

NOW, its all about driving, set up, tuning and looking good! LOL. everyone can have power, speed, handling and compete with the big boys for WAY less than a grand.

If you are thinking about coming back, do it, great fun. much fun had and everyone is so friendly..... 10th off road is suddenly becoming huge again!!!!

Get Racing!!!!
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =

Last edited by TARTMAN; 05-06-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 18-11-2011
Mad Member

Seems to be a lot of Americans popping up. Hi Guys!
Old 28-12-2012

Wow a year on and threads had 4k views!! wow

Anyhoo,,,coming back to the world of RC mighty soon
Old 11-03-2013

just about to take the plunge into this hobby/sport very good read sure it will help me a lot
Old 19-03-2013

I'm going to go to my first ever club night tonight at Martime Racing in Chatham and I'm very nervous and excited!! Just brought an AE B4.1 second hand. I used to mess with my savage in carparks etc but this will be my first ever race.

I don't want to make a complete cock of myself so with the info this thread had given, I have an idea of what I need to do - so thankyou.
Old 19-06-2013

Thanks for this!
Old 13-01-2014

I found it handy to pick up who sat near me and was in the leg before mine!

When he got up and headed for the track, that was my cue to get the batteries in, pick up the car and get ready to go.
Plenty of time then for a snack & a pee before your turn.
Old 04-05-2014
Shaktar

Just wanted to ask about charging at places without mains supply. What kind a battery do you take, would it just be a normal car battery you can buy at halfords to run your charger off?
Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaktar View Post
Just wanted to ask about charging at places without mains supply. What kind a battery do you take, would it just be a normal car battery you can buy at halfords to run your charger off?
Car batteries can work fine, but you have to be careful they don't get too deeply discharged, or it'll be dead. (been there, done that). They are designed more for quick bursts of power, and like to be kept topped up.

Leisure/caravan batteries have stronger plates inside, so are much more durable. They are happy being discharged down to 50% each weekend, and then charged up again. I got a good one from halfords for £80.
Old 08-05-2014
Mad Member

Great advice in this thread.
Just going to comment on post above about 12v batteries. While I'm sure that the advice about leisure batteries is right, if you have a local garage they usually have a good supply of used 12v batteries. I got one that they were going to dispose of as it had come from a car, but it's has so far done me 2years as a power source for stuff when camping and recently for running my chargers, soldering iron etc. when it gives up I'll get another. Free.

Maybe a new leisure one would work better, but give it a try - what have you got to lose!!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 11-08-2014

Thumbs up total virgin

Hi all, went to Bury metro yesterday to see whats what thanks to the guys for putting me on to this site, First off I have never raced an rc car only time I have used one was a nephews toy some years ago, as I am reaching to age of 50 I have been looking for new intrests I have visited a model flying club which seems a bit to much like hard work than fun so visiting Bury yesterday on a very wet day I chatted with a few guys and watched some racing, I must say bloody hell that was fast which has made me that little bit more intrested in having ago, looking through the tinterweb the mind boggles at the amount of rc related stuff , so I am asking as a newbie what sort of equipment I should be looking at as a newbie thanks in advance for your comments suggestions
regards Steve