Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-02-2009

I got hit as well last night with the same spam. Thought it was strange since I had literally just left surfing the Demon site. I twigged that something was up since the domain was different and Nick's site was showing my 'free gift' to be out of stock.
Just hope that the CC details are safe.

I'm not happy about having my name,address and phone details spread about - perhaps I need to adopt an on-line pseudonym to protect my real identity.

There's nowt that a dark alley and a big stick wouldn't cure with the people who trade personal details.
Old 07-02-2009

Send a message via MSN to kartdemon Send a message via Skype™ to kartdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for the post, hope you understand why I started the thread, I did check with Demon first and they said it was ok, and it wasn;t to have a go at Demon, but to warn and stop anyone sending the utility bill and potentially being done by someone!! Also posted when I was told CC details aren't stored against the accounts.

Again, thanks for posting to let us know whats happening, I for one won't let it stop me using Demon and paying by Paypal (as Glypo mentioned earlier in the thread).

Dave
Hi Dave,

I totally understand why you started and I would have done the same. If Nick and I do find anything else out then I will post it especially if I find the B***** who sent the emails, etc.
I think Nicks immediate reaction was to go the guys house who registered the domain until we obviously investigated further. I do not think Nick had any qualms about getting baseball bat in this scenario.
Anyway back home now so putting an announcement on the front page.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Talking

V funny Showtime!! The money and card details are on the way !!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 07-02-2009
Mad Member

Cha Ching

money in the bank baby

Old 07-02-2009

Typically OSC (the software used on the site) allows you to split CC information so that half goes through encrypted email and the other half to encrypted database.

So typically hackers get half a CC number, broken up, which is no use at all. In this case it looks like nothing got out, so it's cool
Old 08-02-2009

Send a message via MSN to kartdemon Send a message via Skype™ to kartdemon
They have not even got half of anyone’s numbers in this case either. Our store installation is very very far from having basic standard security. We are even looking at services that could offer SAS70

Update:

Like I mentioned earlier, we knew where they went to get the information from, but after many hours of going through log files we also discovered what method they used to get in. Needless to say this has now been rectified. Actually rectified is very subtle in terms of what has been done. Let’s just say a portion of the store has been totally taken out. I have also put a process in place (for myself really) to stop anything like this happening in the future. I would like to tell you more about this but really I do not want to talk about security as this would open us up for areas of attack.

For those that believe we may not have been quick enough to deal with this problem or send out an email. We started investigating this within 30minutes of this happening in great depth and stopped it quickly by blocking certain areas. These measures where just temporary, as we still needed to find out what, how when, etc. This took some time and we felt we had to do this before sending out emails so we could be more correct. Once we had more information an email was sent and I got to work tracking down more details.

I would also like to say that Nick is trying to answer all your calls at present too but being a weekend just makes it harder. It seems like RC racers like ordering more in the winter

Thank You.
Old 08-02-2009

Thanks for the update.
Perhaps I should clarify my earlier post - in that I don't feel any less inclined to shop at Nick's after this malicious attack.
I recognise that there are moronic individuals who seem to get off at the misery and heartache that stolen identity can lead to and that no responsible retailer is safe.
I appreciate the updates and the efforts that you're doing to help keep us all safe - thank you.

But if you find the little blighter(s) involved and can let us know which dark alley and when, I think I can see a queue forming.