Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff > TamTech-Gear

Old 14-12-2008

Default My Buggy Champ GB-02!

Here are some photos of my Tamtech GB-02 Buggy Champ as it sits at the moment!

I'm still waiting on a few minor parts in order to perfect it and there may be something wrong with my Mamba 25 ESC...

But, she is coming along nicely and really a fun little car that should last a good while.

...wish I could get more height adjustability with the front GB-02 suspension. Other than that, I like it better than my GB-01.
Old 14-12-2008

...some photos under shell

my messy impatient dremel work on the 3Racing "V2" servo saver linkage kit. Works perfectly now, just not as pretty, but hardly noticeable.

currently running a slightly older Mamba "25" ESC and 6.8kV motor. I'm having problems. Not smooth, inconsistent reverse, slow build of power, etc. Is this fairly normal??! Never noticed these things when the motor and esc was on my Mini-T....? Any idea what problem may be?

couple quick shots of GB-01 Hornet with minor mods. I like the Tamtech "bumper" kit installed on this one, fits perfectly without any cutting. Has an Associated XPS micro ESC and 370 motor. It's faster than a TamTech hop-up "SPT" red endbell motor. Also Aeration shocks with short bodies and short white coil springs.

Old 14-12-2008

I have to mention...
The left rear wheel (from driver perspective) has some pretty bad wobble when holding the car and revving motor... very off balance. I don't know what to do. I've tried to track it down, removing, disassembling, and reassembling, but no luck.
Any one have ideas?

Also, does anyone else here notice that with a very powerful motor, one tire tends to spin more than the other... ? On smooth cement, when I punch the throttle, it actually steers more to the left due to more power going to the right wheel.... is this only me? It is somewhat discouraging.

Oh, and I'm wondering, has anyone here tried a the "Sedan" wheel converters? What set-up do you use? I'm wondering about this a little bit, especially as I move onto more powerful motors. Any info is appreciated!

hmmm ...and my problem with the Mamba "25" esc... hmmm. I wonder if Mamba "Micro-Pro" is any better, or maybe Tekin Mini-rage.

...and also wondering what benefit I would get from fitting a Hitec HS85MG into the car as my steering servo...?

sorry for all of the rambling thoughts and questions.
Old 14-12-2008

When you say "sedan converters" do you mean 12mm hex adapters? I have a set made by DrivenProductions made of delrin and they work great. Not sure what you would do for the front of a GB02 though, maybe the wheels would just bolt up with no hex. I've been running 1/10 touring car wheels/tires on my GB01 in parking lots and at the skate park for a while now.

You can also get 12mm adapters from a parts tree from the GT01, the 1/12 tamtech touring cars. That is if you can find it, it as with other tamtech parts have dropped out of most US stores. RCMart still carries them I think.
Old 14-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredSLED View Post
I have to mention...
The left rear wheel (from driver perspective) has some pretty bad wobble when holding the car and revving motor... very off balance. I don't know what to do. I've tried to track it down, removing, disassembling, and reassembling, but no luck.
Any one have ideas?

Also, does anyone else here notice that with a very powerful motor, one tire tends to spin more than the other... ? On smooth cement, when I punch the throttle, it actually steers more to the left due to more power going to the right wheel.... is this only me? It is somewhat discouraging.

Oh, and I'm wondering, has anyone here tried a the "Sedan" wheel converters? What set-up do you use? I'm wondering about this a little bit, especially as I move onto more powerful motors. Any info is appreciated!

hmmm ...and my problem with the Mamba "25" esc... hmmm. I wonder if Mamba "Micro-Pro" is any better, or maybe Tekin Mini-rage.

...and also wondering what benefit I would get from fitting a Hitec HS85MG into the car as my steering servo...?

sorry for all of the rambling thoughts and questions.

The stock servo is very good. Just not sure if its as indestructible as the 85MG, so I put one in mine after seeing frogger do his.

The original Mamba 25 is supposed to have old software on it. If you can get the Castle Link and hook it up to a computer, its supposed to help a lot with the cogging (from what I remember reading). The Micro Pro and the Sidewinder Micro are supposed to have the latest software already. The cogging is more apparent on heavier loads too, so maybe less noticeable on the Mini-T.

The wheel wobble might be what's making your car swerve to one side.

How are the 3Racing shocks? I didnt get their set for the Tamtech gear but had one of their Mini-T sets and test fitted. They kind of work on the Tamtech ballstuds (a bit loose) but work better with their own ballstuds. However, the 3Racing ballstuds were just slightly loose when threading into the holes cut by the M2.6 tamiya ballstuds, and this scared me off. Did you have the same experience with your set?

I still just snap on the 3R Mini-T shocks on my GB-02 sometimes to keep it low (to try and keep up with the M-03 minis at the track), I run either Mini-T rear springs or Tamtech front springs in the rear, and I run 3Racing's RC18T rear springs (comes with the shocks) on the front. Trouble with slamming down the GB-02 is that the front suspension is kind of near the soft end of its travel. Should work better on the GB-01.

Hmm, since you have a GB-01, and (had?) a Mini-T, maybe you can give it a try too.
Old 14-12-2008

Jamus, yes, I do mean the larger wheels. Now you have me wondering about the front mounts on the GB02...
Very nice car there, threw me off for a second... Is that a GT-01 chassis?? with cut up Fox body on? Are those the 3Racing wheels?
Cool stuff. I've never had a GT-01.

sim, yeah... I think I'll have to look into that Castle link. Maybe just pick myself up a new Micro Pro. Then give my 25 to a needy friend. Not sure if I want to stick with 6.8, or go up, or go down, or what... I'm confusing myself the more I think about it, haha!

Yes, the 3Racing shocks are GREAT, especially when taking cost into consideration. I almost think they are a bit better than the Aeration dampers, although quality of construction may be just a hair lower.
I want to pick up another set of the 3Racing dampers, but they are a bit hard to come by these days... short of importing from HK!?

...little side note... Just a few days I ago I was with my friend in a nearby park with a nice hill and jumps on it, driving his hotshot... Well, a couple of baka gakki (stupid kids) came and started chasing the car around to no end! At first we were having fun making them run around and roll down the hill... until they got more friends together to chase it and eventually one of the kids jumped on it, landing with one foot, and they picked it up and started running around yelling "you're out!". My friend was pissed but I couldn't help buy laughing. Surprisingly, the car is still in pretty good shape, with the exception of a broken front body stud! These little cars are tanks. I know if that was my Mini-T it would have probably snapped the entire front end off.
Old 14-12-2008

Oh yeah, Tamtechs are bombproof.

Mine is an original GB01 with GT01 chassis and front suspension. The chassis adds 1 1/4" wheelbase. I only needed 2 parts bags from Tamiya, $18 shipped, but had some other metal hardware leftovers from other tamiya models. I did a little write-up on the swap here. http://www.hyperminis.com/gt01-chass...uggy-t376.html

As to the 12mm hex wheels bolting up to the GB02 frontend. I had a thought. The GB02 front is just a round piece 10mm right, so stock tamtech 10mm hex wheels bolt up? So you maybe could do one of two things. You could take a 12mm hex and drill the center out to 10mm, to slide over the GB02 hub, or make a simple round sleeve/bushing out of 12mm rod with the middle drilled to 10mm. Pretty much anything to keep the wheel centered would work I think. Of course this is all without ever holding a GB02 in my hands. The GB02 suspension always interested me, some day I'll build a mini Sand scorcher out of a GB02.
Old 15-12-2008

Haha,
Nice story about the Hotshot. I took my Buggy Champ to the park once and it got chased by a bunch of small kids on bicycles. Almost got squashed by bicycle wheels. Took it offroad (to the grass) and had a narrow escape.

Jamus,
How does it perform with the GT-01 chassis? What other parts do you need apart from the chassis? I wanted to try this very conversion but was afraid the parts wouldn't fit.
Old 15-12-2008

Check my link but I'll give it a shot from memory. You need the metal parts, 4 ballstuds, 4 bearings/bushings for the rockers, 2 sleeves for the rockers, 2 screws long enough to go through the rocker pivot. I think that's it. If you have upgraded your shocks you should have the ball studs. The rest I had from a TLT kit, used the same brass bushings on it's cantilever setup.

That's for the GT suspension. If you just want the longer wheelbase of the GT chassis, it's a direct bolt up. I don't have one, but I believe that a 7-cell battery would fit with the longer chassis as well. I think it bumps the Tamtech buggies up to around 1/14 scale. My Fox-mini appears much bigger than my Kyosho mini inferno which is 1/16.

Forgot to comment about performance. I'm not a racer and I changed to better tires at the same time as the suspension/chassis change, but I am pleased with it. I wouldn't go back to stock would be a better way of putting it.
Old 15-12-2008

Haha. Thanks. I was mostly interested in the added wheelbase but 1.25" is probably more than I was looking for. Still might try it one of these days, but will have to study the manuals a bit first to see if it would work with a GB-02. Quite happy with the GB-02 at the moment.

Another thing I always wanted to try was to run GT-01 turnbuckles on a GB-01 or GB-03. It wouldn't work on my GB-02 though. Maybe it's time I got a GB-03.
Old 15-12-2008

I have seen the narrow GT arms on a GB01. Didn't really look much different, just a little narrower is all. If the chassis on the GB01 and GB02 is the same part number I don't see why the GT chassis wouldn't work for you. It brought my wheelbase to just short of 8" for reference.

I'd love a GB03 one day but currently they're a little pricey. The GB01s are cheap though.
Old 15-12-2008

Hey Jamus, that's brilliant! Thanks for posting the link.
Didn't realize you had a hybrid worked out like that. I like it!
Might have to be a new little future project for me! But I'd have to have one powerful motor to need another 1.25" of wheelbase, wow!
I just wish that mod was reversible and cross-compatible (without intense modification), so I could somehow run that trick looking canti suspension on the GB tub chassis, now that would be cool!
But, the black chassis really is sweet, and so is the chance of being able to fit another cell in there too.
Very cool, getting those brain juices flowing.

Nice thinking with the GB02 wheel adapter too... Have to give one a shot. Probalby pick up some of the delrin ones, easier to form.

And yeah, I don't see any reason why the GB02 suspension wouldn't bolt up to the GT chassis any more difficult than the GB01.... But, no possibility of running those dual trailing arms with the canti... at least not without custom parts.

Oh, has anyone else noticed how the GB03 chassis comes with anti-roll bars installed? I was lightly pondering trying to hook some up to mine... I've also seen another guy do a custom job to his Wild Boar, and it looked pretty trick, but I just wonder if there are any significant gains in performance... ? I see that most of these TamShot (japanese nickname) tuners here are removing them actually.

Yes, and I also just purchased a Mamba Micro-pro, with the Castle Link! Thanks Santa, haha. We'll see if this can cure any of my problems, or see if it's simply user error!?
Old 15-12-2008

The stock GB03 needs one on the front because that mono shock setup kind of works as an anti-stabiliser (when one wheel goes up, it pushes the shock absorber to the other side, making that other side stiffer).

I can see a groove in the front bulkhead of the GB-02 as well which looks like it's meant to hold a stabiliser bar. Hmm. Interesting
Old 15-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
The stock GB03 needs one on the front because that mono shock setup kind of works as an anti-stabiliser (when one wheel goes up, it pushes the shock absorber to the other side, making that other side stiffer).

I can see a groove in the front bulkhead of the GB-02 as well which looks like it's meant to hold a stabiliser bar. Hmm. Interesting

yeah, there's actually a groove in the stock rear strut tower as well.

I wonder where would be the best option to attach to the front wheel/trailing arm though?
Old 15-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredSLED View Post
Hey Jamus, that's brilliant! Thanks for posting the link.
Didn't realize you had a hybrid worked out like that. I like it!
Might have to be a new little future project for me! But I'd have to have one powerful motor to need another 1.25" of wheelbase, wow!
I just wish that mod was reversible and cross-compatible (without intense modification), so I could somehow run that trick looking canti suspension on the GB tub chassis, now that would be cool!
But, the black chassis really is sweet, and so is the chance of being able to fit another cell in there too.
Very cool, getting those brain juices flowing.

Nice thinking with the GB02 wheel adapter too... Have to give one a shot. Probalby pick up some of the delrin ones, easier to form.

And yeah, I don't see any reason why the GB02 suspension wouldn't bolt up to the GT chassis any more difficult than the GB01.... But, no possibility of running those dual trailing arms with the canti... at least not without custom parts.
Now you got me thinking. I bet you could bolt the rocker mounts to the stock GB01 chassis, it sandwiches between the chassis and the servo plate. It would need some sort of reinforcement though as one of the mounting points won't be there. Maybe epoxy it straight to the chassis. As for using the rockers/cantilevers with trailing arms, that could probably be done with enough tinkering as well. Not sure how a trailing arm suspension would look with no shock towers or shocks sticking up.
Old 19-12-2008

All-riiiiight!

Just point and qlikt myself a nice little order.
Some little parts on the way for the ol' GB-02 here, thanks to the minds of sim and jimmy. Have some bearings coming for the trailing arms (hope I ordered the correct size! ), as well as some of the wider TL-01 pins so I can screw that lower stud back into the threads further and maintain some proper camber.
Also, just for the heck of it, I may try some rear GB shocks on the front of the GB-02, just to see how it handles just a hair extra height. It may change the beginning arc of suspension travel (maybe a bit more backwards, similar to the "kick-up" mod concept on GB01?)... either way, not a big deal, just a trial and error experiment on my part... and I don't do much carpet racing at this point, so low and stiff isn't my concern with this particular set-up.

And, along with those parts, and thanks to the genius of Jamus, I ordered up a little kit of GT-01 chassis parts! Tub frame and some various parts bags, as well as the TamTech Hop-up "mixing-arms" or rocker-arms, with the bearing and 1 piece bolt/mounting pin. So, I'm anxious to convert the hornet over to this hybrid (what should it be called, "BT-01"?), and also do the "kick-up mod" too, to get some more angle on those A-arms for some of those basher front heavy jump landings, haha!

This is gonna be fun! Hopefully get here by the holidays so I have something to do...

Oh, and with those GT-01 parts trees is coming some of the larger wheel hexes, so I'll have to try out some "Sedan" wheels in the very near future. Not too sure what yet though, I don't know much about them at this point...
Old 19-12-2008

Sounds like personal Christmas shopping to me, haha. I always wanted the Hornet but the Fox came to me by ebay. I'll be interested to see the same setup as my Fox basically, but with the Hornet body. I guess you already know about the body not fitting right once you use the longer chassis right? I just cut the nose off the body and glued it to the chassis. That leaves a small gap right where the steering components are, which almost looks like it was designed that way. It'll be even less noticable with the Hornets black body.
Old 19-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Sounds like personal Christmas shopping to me, haha. I always wanted the Hornet but the Fox came to me by ebay. I'll be interested to see the same setup as my Fox basically, but with the Hornet body. I guess you already know about the body not fitting right once you use the longer chassis right? I just cut the nose off the body and glued it to the chassis. That leaves a small gap right where the steering components are, which almost looks like it was designed that way. It'll be even less noticable with the Hornets black body.

yep, Santa's a nice guy!

And about the body...
I do realize I have to cut it up... But I'm a bit partial to the Hornet body myself too, so I might actually save this body... I think it goes well with the "bumper kit", which will not work with the GT-01 and those sideplates...
I have one spare Buggy Champ body, but I'm not sure how that would work either... hmm, might actually be pretty cool since it's wider at the bottom! But we'll see...
I also think it would be cool to get one of those Phat Bodies "dufus" shells, and custom cut it, but they are based in UK and I have no idea where I would source one. It sure would make this hybrid look very "modern", if that was the direction I was aiming...
Another option I've though of is the Desert Gator body.... But hmmm.... at that point, maybe just pick up another Hornet shell and chop it.... Oh, and I'm not sure if it's only on the Hornet, but the front "headlights" are already pre-attached to the body separate from the shell.

I'm not sure yet which route I'll take, but, that's at least stage 6.2 anyway, haha, I've only just made the purchase! haven't even started the mod yet, still at pre-planning stages!

I'm also anxious to see how those hop-up aluminum rocker arms work out... crossing my fingers they work well, esp. for the $30USD I spend on them, yikes!
Old 20-12-2008

I forgot, I had to trim the sides of the body to clear the shocks as well.
Old 20-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
I forgot, I had to trim the sides of the body to clear the shocks as well.

yeah, that's what I mean, I don't really want to cut the sides off of my Hornet body yet... unless I had a spare.