Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff > TamTech-Gear

Old 10-03-2011

Default New to TamTech

Hi all,

Just picked up a GB-01 Frog - lightly used with the TEU102 and a ScannerRC servo for a very cheap price.

Have fitted a CoreRC 2.4Ghz reciever (fits it beautifully) http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=38219

and have ordered a Lipo that I hope fits (will find out tonight when it arrives!)
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html...2s25c1600.html

I race Tamiya M-chassis so have loads of that size wheel knocking about so I have done some detective work and hopefully managed to secure the now discontinued 3Racing 12mm Hex adaptors and required 3Racing universals.

Looking forward to thrashing it around my local BMX track - hopefully the lipo will inject some life into the kit motor - if not then a brushless system of some kind will be ordered.

Seems as if interest in the TamTech series is dying off - have I missed the boat a little?

Skip
Old 10-03-2011

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

There was a ton of interest in these when they first came out and there are still plenty around. Those that have them love them.
If yours comes with the stock motor and shocks, they will be the first things to go. The stock 'shocks' are air filled and merely act like pogo sticks.
3Racing do a set of ali threaded shocks for about £16 on ebay. Motor wise, if you want to stick to brushed then a Graupner Speed300 is a good option at about £7. Brushless would be the next step with a Hobbywing 25a speedo costing £20 and your choice of motor ranging from £10-£40 depending on what you want. If you are going to bash it, I strongly recommend the GB02 front end conversion. It is indestructable! Other than that you can upgrade at leisure. Steel diffs, ali rear chassis plate, milled motor mount, ali rear hubs, side impact bars the list goes on!! Have fun, they are great cars.
Old 10-03-2011

Cheers for the reply - I have seen your username pop up everywhere I have been searching for TamTech stuff this past few days so thought you might reply

Found the GB-02 conversion for about £20 so will snaffle one of those.

Is the Graupner 300 worth it? All the reading I have done some say yes some say not really? For £8 I guess its worth trying but I don't want to waste money if I can help it! Bearing in mind I will be running it on 7.4v lipo.

3 Racing shocks seem to be the ones to go for so will order some of those - cant believe how rubbish the kit ones feel and I haven't even run it yet!

Have to admit that it looks cool as! Small but with all the right parts of its 1/10 scale brothers! Cant wait to drive it
Old 10-03-2011

Ha ha yeah, I am a bit of a fan boy when it comes to the TamTechs!! The Graupner is a good fast motor as the review Jimmy did proves but the thing with micro brushed motors is that they wear out pretty quick. Brushless is definitely the way to go but for less than £10 a brushed motor is a good stop gap.
The stock shocks are horrible aren't they? Just for show as much as anything but a new set of oil filled shocks will transform the car instantly. I race mine every week and wouldn't swap it for anything, can still hold it's own against much more race orientated cars.
I would also add the 3Racing pinions to the shopping list. The stock push-on ones are ok to begin with but wont be up to the brushless motor if you do get one. I got the heavy duty steel ones but I am not sure it is totally necessary as the ali ones are probably just as good.
I found this review to be a good source of reference aswell, hope it helps mate.
http://www.modrc.com/cars/gb02/
Old 11-03-2011

Got the car up and running last night - the little 1600mah Lipo flight-pack didn't quite fit so I dremmel-ed the inside of the battery tray and although its a tight squeeze it did go in with some persuasion! Its quite slow though even in the house so I think I will order a Graupner 300 today. Tidied up all the wiring as I use PowerPole connectors and they are quite big - it all just about fits though. Outside test tomorrow although I imagine the suspension will be interesting!

Loving it though
Old 12-03-2011
Administrator

Loved the TamTechs - when I was racing mine there wasn't much about which is a shame. I had to race against the 4WD buggies and there was only a 2WD class after I sold my TT's
Old 12-03-2011

You should get another Jimmy. 1:16 scale 2wd is being dominated by the Phat Bodies Chunk, get a TamTech in and fight the good fight.
Old 13-03-2011

Fitted the Graupner 300 and had a proper test - its still a bit slow I thought even with the 1600mah lipo. Oh well its usable at least and its not stressing the standard shocks out too much! Had to tighten the slipper up as it was basically just slipping all the time on the lawn. Still great fun though - the cat was enjoying chasing it too!

Will probably order a brushless system and shocks after payday - is this one any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EZRUN-COMBO-A1...item3f07459a8e

I don't want tyre shredding performance but I do want it to be fairly fast - so a compromise really.
Old 13-03-2011

7800kv will be very fast in a 2wd. I have the Hobbywing (EZRun) 25a speedo with an Orion 6000kv motor and you still have to be gentle with the throttle or it will be pulling wheelies no trouble at all.
Old 14-03-2011

Good point - I only have one 1/10 brushless and thats an Ezrun 9T/4300kv and its bonkers in everything I put it in!

A 5200 is probably better then - still properly fast but not insane!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eZRun-Combo-A2...item2eb2952f1a
Old 25-03-2011

Well I ended up with a 7800kv version anyway!

Just tested it at lunch - on a 1600mah Intellect 2S lipo and using a 14t pinion its totally insane! Thankfully on my Core 2.4Ghz radio I can smooth the throttle curve so its not quite so mental on the take-off - great fun though
Old 28-03-2011

Decided to strip my Frog down to every last component this weekend - nothing too bad was discovered apart from a bent front suspension rod - so reinforced ones have been purchased.

Made a bit of a boo-boo rebuild the ball-diff though - I was tightening it up nice and tight and all of a sudden "ping" and I had overtightened it and it ripped the innards out of one side

Hopefully I can get a set of the reinforced ones! I am more annoyed that its out of action though!
Old 31-03-2011

Hi mate, sorry to hear about the diff. Tamiya aluminum ones should be pretty easy to get hold of but the Atlas steel ones will require contacting Atlas direct I think as I haven't seen them on ebay for ages. 3Racing do a steel one for the GT-01 so I would imagine that would fit aswell.
Old 01-04-2011

Tamiya ones sourced (thanks TimeTunnelModels!) and fitted

Just need to refill the new 3Racing shocks and we are back in business