Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 07-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to AndyM
Default Kyosho RB5 SP

Hey guys,

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this, but does anyone have any idea on a price for these kits?

I've heard they will be quite expensive, but just wanting some clarification .

Also, do you guys know when they will be in UK shops?

Cheers,
Old 07-04-2009
Mad Member

Unfortunately due to the pound being worth less than a penny at the moment everything coming from abroad is going up in price, and R/C stuff is no exception so yes they'll be more expensive than the original RB5, but on the other hand the SP will come with a lot of options.

Last I heard they were supposed to be out around may/june.
Old 07-04-2009

The RRP for the RB5 is £239, not sure what the SP will be. Have heard the same as Fabs for release.
Old 09-04-2009

Here is a small write up with part #'s to convert your RB5 to use the new rear wheels that will be coming out on the RB5 SP. I'm currently working on finding out about the axle situation as to what is different and why you cant get just the axle shafts by themselves (you can get just the shafts for all the other swingshafts sets)

The new SP wheel is identical in offset to the current wheel. The overall diameter has been reduced by about .5mm and the outside to outside width is the same, BUT the wheel lips have been changed to allow the tire mounting surface to be about 1mm wider which allows the tire to fit more properly.

I have some new information regarding the RB5 SP rear wheel conversion.
These are the parts you will need:
LA245 (This is the axle and dog-bone set already assembled. You will only use the axle from this.)
LAW30 (This is the blue clamping hub that pretty much most of us already run.)
1. You will first want to build your CVD set using the New LA245 axle and LA232-01 dog-bone.
2. Next you will insert the axle through the rear hub using no spacers between the back of the axle and hub bearing.
3. After the axle is pushed all the way in, you will now want to use a thin axle spacer on the outside of the hub.
4. Next you will insert the solid axle pin (comes in LAW30), followed by the blue clamping wheel hub.
Lastly, insert the small 1.5 screws into the hub to clamp it down.
There should be a little play when moving the axle side to side.
The new RB5 SP Kit will come with all this in the kit. There will also be a new part number for the axle, and I will have that available when we get the kits in.

This is what Jared, Mark, Cody, and Myself all used at the Cactus and everything worked great.
Thanks,
Joe Pillars

Basically what I have found with this set up is this...............If you are running the RB5 with the stock "narrow" arms, do not change the axles out. If you are running the mid-arm/worlds conversion, you have the option to either run the new axles or not. The new axles are approx 2mm shorter than the currently used axle (assuming you arent using the "proline" axle). Basically, this set up with the axles will narrow the car back up to the width of the original RB5 while utilizing the longer arms of the worlds kit. You can run the new wheels without changing the axles as well. Nothing will change running the new wheels on your car as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0326091335a.jpg (48.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0326091335.jpg (47.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 0326091334.jpg (31.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-04-2009
Mad Member

Well,

If the rim has exactly the same offset as the old ones then I don't see why you couldn't use the old ones with the new Axle, and vice versa.
Old 10-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Another tuning option for the rear end of the K' cars, this is sure to confuse the masses!

It's all good though, no 2wd car out there has so many tuning options to get it exactly as YOU want it, not even the Losi.

I think I can safely say that the only place in the UK that you might want to be using the wide arm / narrow axle combination is the Proline Dirt Arena. I'll let you all know when I get chance to run at this venue.

For the UK surfaces you will find it very hard to beat the stock (or Proline) axle, LA243 / worlds / RB5SP rear end as it gives a fantastic balance to the car on our high side bite surfaces.
Old 10-04-2009

Are the rear hingepin braces the same on the std and SP?
Old 10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
Basically what I have found with this set up is this...............If you are running the RB5 with the stock "narrow" arms, do not change the axles out. If you are running the mid-arm/worlds conversion, you have the option to either run the new axles or not. The new axles are approx 2mm shorter than the currently used axle (assuming you arent using the "proline" axle). Basically, this set up with the axles will narrow the car back up to the width of the original RB5 while utilizing the longer arms of the worlds kit. You can run the new wheels without changing the axles as well. Nothing will change running the new wheels on your car as is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Well,

If the rim has exactly the same offset as the old ones then I don't see why you couldn't use the old ones with the new Axle, and vice versa.
Yup, I said that already
Old 10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
Are the rear hingepin braces the same on the std and SP?
Honestly, we dont really know yet. As far as I know, Kyosho America hasnt even recieved an RB5 SP kit yet.
Old 10-04-2009
Mad Member

Not in Uk either

dont hold your breath anyone.

As soon as we get some info we will let you know
Old 11-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm really interested in what will be in the final RB5SP kit. From what I can gather it's basically the car I'm running (but with the lower shock tower and shorter shock bodies too).

If that is the case you'll be opening the box and building the best 2wd car on the market with no extras required!
Old 11-04-2009

Thought i would post a couple of pics of how the new axle affects the mounting of the wheel hex. You can see where you lose the 2mm collar thats normally between the hub and hex. And dont mind the fact that I have standard arms and not mid arms on the car. I now have the mid arms back on the car with the new axle set up and aluminum CVD bones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02066.JPG (136.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02073.JPG (138.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-05-2009

Read somewhere that it should be released May 9th.......????

No word at all?
Old 11-05-2009

Kyosho America has them in stock now............
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

I have just got some of the new axles... LA245.. but i have yet to try them in the RB5.. car felt spot on at Talywain.. came away feeling really positive about the car!

I might have a spare set of LA245 as well

Cheers

Nick
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

RB5 SP won't be available in the UK for a while I don't think.
Old 15-05-2009

Default Convert your RB5 to an SP

Here are the part numbers to convert your standard RB5 to SP specs. If you are already running the "worlds conversion" there will be some pieces you wont necessarily need to change like the arms (although now you can get a front arm and rear mid-arm together now), rear hubs, and velvet shock bodies.

How to make your RB5 into a RB5-SP
  • 1. LA218 Front and Rear Wheel Hex’s (4pcs) x 1
    2. LA247 Complete Downforce Wing Set (3pcs) x 1
    3. LAW39 Steel Suspension Bushings (8pcs) x 1
    4. UM505B Front Knuckle & Hub Carrier Set x 1
    5. UM508B Gear Box Set x 1
    6. UM519 Rear Hub Type-B x 1
    7. UM520 Carbon Composite Short Rear Tower x 1
    8. UM521 Front and Rear RB5 Arm Set x 2
    9. UM522-02 New Rear Wheel Shaft x 1
    10. UMB02 Sword Body x 1
    11. W5181-55 Orange Front Springs x 1
    12. W5183-04 Silver Rear Springs x 1
    13. W5185-01V Front Velvet Coated Shock Body x 2
    14. W5196-01V Rear Velvet Coated Shock Body x 2
    15. W5202W New White Rear Wheel (2pcs) x 1
    16. W5202Y New Yellow Rear Wheel (2pcs) x 1
    17. 96643 x 1 5x7 Shim Set (10pcs) x 1
    18. 97008-40H New SP Ti-Rods (2pcs) x 3
19. 97021H New SP Ball Cups (12pcs) x 1

The UM508B gear box set comes with two sets of rear suspension holders...one is the same as the one that is in use now and the other is wider. The wider one has not been used out here in the US...it doesnt seem to be working well for our style of tracks but it could be something to try out on your side of the pond.
Old 16-05-2009
Woop Woop Member

thanks for the list. any ideas when it will be available in the uk as the front hub/knuckle set looks very good as do the arm sets

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline