Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 10-07-2017

Default 2wd motor and boost Q

ok so I have the gearing right in my car, Im now at a position where Im happy with my ability, or reduced lack of ability LOL

I have had a HW7.5 in it since I started buggies 12 months ago

recently I have been winding things up a bit

at what point do you start to think, maybe I need a 6.5?

boost.. as far as I understand it this just adds timing right across the rev range, well Im now at 17 degrees on the ESC

are people happily running more than that, or is there a kind of rule that if your adding X degree of boost then maybe go up a wind on motor and go back to less boost?
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 10-07-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I guess when you don't crash and think that your times could be faster with the extra speed.

Adding boost of turbo can be beneficial, or it can be totally counter productive if you don't understand the speedo settings and how its applied. sometimes you will be fighting the boosts an turbo coming in and out which will either give the car a kick in the corners or totally unsettle the car.

With boost, if you set it to come in at a lower RPM point, the boost is spread across the entire rpm range and so feels more subtle, but it will give you some extra. The amount you are comfortable with need testing. if you set it to come in at too high an RPM point, you'll feel the step as the boost comes in, which can/will affect smoothness. This can be counter productive, and can affect your driving. Experiment with the amount, add 10, then 15, 20, etc, and watch your temperature.

Turbo for the straight can be useful for that extra when you are at full throttle. The critical bit is the delay, which controls when the turbo timing is applied. Too low a delay and you get a much quicker surge coming in when you just touch full throttle. Too long a delay and it will come in too late on the straight, so you've more work to do to show the car into the corner as the speed is still ramping up. again test it.

Actually sometimes the keeping the speedo on blinky with no timing or boost and changing the motor to the track is the best approach. If you are struggling with your speedo settings or complexity, just buy a new lower wind motor ;-)
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-07-2017

thanks that makes sense, with my ESC (hw3.1) I just have boost setting of degrees so I assume thats applied across the whole rev range

I have no turbo on there, I put some on once before and it was hilarious, I couldnt work out why just as I started to think about braking for the corner at end of straight... the damn this accelerated hard and nearly off the track, turned it off at end of that run

its probably fast enough for me at the moment, but Im at the point where I fancy treating myself to new ESC and motor, so wanted to try and futureproof things a bit, with hope that whatever I buy would be good still in 12 months or so

perhaps I just get a 6 or 6.5 and turn end point down on throttle, make me feel like Im faster as I have faster motor... LOL
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane