Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Atomic Carbon

Old 14-06-2011

Send a message via MSN to Junior Z
Default Slim GTO

Hello,

Here is my new car, a mix of S2 and GTO
I made ​​from a blank frame S2 (thanks Jonathan) on which I grafted the elements of the GTO.

Old 15-06-2011

Great looking I lovin it...........
Old 15-06-2011

looks great. I prefer that to the standard gto.
Old 15-06-2011

The standard GTO was/is a big FLOP.

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,
Old 15-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustARcFan View Post
The standard GTO was/is a big FLOP.

Why do you say that, what's wrong with it??
Old 15-06-2011

I also want to know .
Old 15-06-2011

Please note that I really like atomic carbon products ( I ordered 2 S2's, optional carbon shocktowers, diff balls etc.. in the past) and will buy other products from them in the future.

These were my concerns with the kit:

Setting up the car was a nightmare because the car is VERY short.
I broke 5 shocktowers in 2 races (The design of the tower was not good but this is resolved now)
My gearbox had some play between the gears.
0 team support as not many cars have been sold.
The body doesn't fit 100% on the chassis.

The kit was also very expensive so all the above issues are in my opinion not acceptable.

Cheers

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,
Old 15-06-2011

I just wanted to say that I have always been pleased with the productions of Atomic Carbon.

I had 3 S2, a GTO and a Atomized B44.

Atomic Carbon have a kit is like having its own prototype.

It takes time to assemble, but that time is part of the fun.

We must not forget that it is a craft production, and today it is increasingly frequent.

Thanks Jonathan, who always takes the time to answer my requests.
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Z View Post
I just wanted to say that I have always been pleased with the productions of Atomic Carbon.

We must not forget that it is a craft production, and today it is increasingly frequent.

I have to agree with Junior Z, Atomic Carbon cars are great. The quality is really top notch and all AC cars perform very well. Given that AC is a one man operation, the products Jon churns out is really good. As for customer service, i can dare say that Jon is at the top of his game, probably one of the best in the industry. Other RC companies should learn a thing or two from Jon when it comes to customer service. I love AC cars and will continue to support AC as long as Jon continues the business...

Viper R/C Solutions | Atomic Carbon | Darth Tray

My Trader Feedback
Old 16-06-2011

Absolutely agreed with you mate,.....................
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Please note that I really like atomic carbon products ( I ordered 2 S2's, optional carbon shocktowers, diff balls etc.. in the past) and will buy other products from them in the future.

I broke 5 shocktowers in 2 races (The design of the tower was not good but this is resolved now)

The kit was also very expensive so all the above issues are in my opinion not acceptable.

Cheers
- breaking 5 shock towers in 2 races seems more like a case of a drunken driver?
- gearbox play can be shimmed out easily
- AC is a one-man-operation, you need to lower your expectations for "team support", in fact some of the other bigger teams have shown to be wanting in such support too, so go figure...
Old 16-06-2011

As I already said, I also like AC products and I will order again without hesitation.

I agree with all the comments about the customer service and the quality of the parts he delivers but the GTO wasn't tested enough before they put it on the market.

It's not a good car and will never be.

You are the only one with a gto that I know off and you changed the complete lay out of the car by mixing a S2 chassis with some gto parts.

It's obvious that you didn't like the behaviour of the car or you would run it as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Z View Post

Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymojo View Post
I have to agree with Junior Z, Atomic Carbon cars are great. The quality is really top notch and all AC cars perform very well. Given that AC is a one man operation, the products Jon churns out is really good. As for customer service, i can dare say that Jon is at the top of his game, probably one of the best in the industry. Other RC companies should learn a thing or two from Jon when it comes to customer service. I love AC cars and will continue to support AC as long Jon continues the business...
Hear hear! I second funky's sentiments. I own an s2, s4 and an s44 and they're top notch cars. Never had a broken 4mm shock tower from them ever, and don't expect to. Jon's designs are brilliant and show engineering genius. Lovely to drive when set right, and outperform a lot of other cars. Jon mate, if you're reading this, wish you'd do up a SCT tub chassis, i'd be the first on the order list
Old 16-06-2011
Mad Member

Quote:

Cheers
Just a few points i would like to make which i think people might not be aware of -

The GTO did not sell as well as expected admittedly mainly due to a competitor bring out there own version of a 201 mid motor car which was £60-£80 cheaper from memory. And in the current climate this is a lot of money so i understand why people went for the cheaper option, that is there choice.

The car was designed to be a little shorter than normal, some people loved it some others did not get on as well, but this also comes down to driving style, i can give a proto car to somebody to run then give it to a different person and one thinks its the best thing ever and the other thinks its a pile of s**t

We broke a few towers on the proto-cars but these were beefed up for the production kits which caused few issues, i actual designed a hd tower for yourself due to the issues you were having, i not sure how many manufactures would do that

The gearbox was one of the sweetest parts of the cars, and as long as you used the RW idler gears as we advised due to the tamiya idler gears having problems, we had no issues with the gearbox gears.

Unfortunately there is no AC team so i am limited to the amount of setup info i can give, we always try to give a base setup for the cars, and the guys which were running the proto cars and giving me feedback and posting here on oople, choose to run a alternative car, so we did not build up a list of alternative setups.

The kit was designed to fit the standard shell and also we produced a undertray to make the car very water tight in wet weather, no one has advised me of any issues using the kit shell and undertray.

All AC kits are expensive as they are made here in the UK, the kickup chassis as well as the tub chassis's are layed up by hand not a machine which is costly but the quality speaks for its self. The gearbox casings are CNC machined rather than moulded again high quality but costs a lot more, the plastic used is expensive engineering plastic not a cheap unknown plastic, i personnel drill all the screw locations in the gearbox's so i can insure they are spot on and fit for sale, this takes 1/2 hour per gearbox.

Also we don't mass produce like AE Losi etc so we will never compete on price with them, we try as much as we can to keep the price as low as possible and if you saw how much we made on some kits you would wonder why we bother.

And if people think the kits are expensive so i can make loads of money. If that was the case i would of closed down AC back in 2005. Any money we do make goes straight back into making proto's parts, tub moulds and developing new parts and cars like a am currently working on.

I hope the above does not come across as a rant that is not the reason why i have spent a hour typing this reply i just felt the above will give many people a better understanding of atomic-carbon
Old 16-06-2011
Mad Member

Haven't driven the GTO, but the S2 and CR2 were worth every single penny. Quality is top notch and undisputed, and it is nice to see that a tiny company like Atomic Carbon persists in standing out from the conventional way of creating cars.
Service is at least on par with what big companies offer, if not better and faster.

I have yet to come across, except for Geoffroy, someone who disliked his AC product. Of course, a product like the CR2 had its likers and dislikers (something a change of rear suspension parts solved most of the time), with the car being incredible on astroturf but a bit more difficult in low grip conditions. But the quality and support were great at all times.

TLR with the 22 has and Schumacher with the Cougar had major issues with their cars, something you won't see on the AC conversions.

Without sucking up to him, Jonathan deserves a lot of credit for his hard work and productivity.
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
You are the only one with a gto that I know off and you changed the complete lay out of the car by mixing a S2 chassis with some gto parts.

It's obvious that you didn't like the behaviour of the car or you would run it as standard.
If I chose to mount on the chassis Slim GTO is that I think the chassis tub is part of a kit Atomic Carbon.

The GTO was very thoughtful, There are many good ideas ...

I'm not a fan of cars SWB.
I always preferred the basic S2 vs S2 SWB
Changes in the GTO filled the imperfections of S2.

If I chose to mount a Slim GTO is not due to defects in the GTO but rather to make the most of the S2 and the GTO ...
Old 16-06-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

daveg28 had some very impressive results with his gto over the winter but also did a tower or two, then again he is an animal!! lol
I was/am still a lover of the cr2 which had some special results in the hands of many drivers too. You look at the atomic record and i have never seen a one man band get so many cars into a finals or even winning nationals, TOP JOB MR ATOMIC!!!!!!!

anyhow, back to the thread. Damn nice car you have made there
Old 20-06-2011
oOple Journalist

Thumbs up Atomic Carbon

Atomic Carbon basically create 100% British crafted, publicly available proto-feeling buggys. Building them feels like you are part of a proto test project...running them feels like you have a refined version of the original kits. Jonathan makes top class products for racers who like British engineering, cult cool, and cutting edge refinements.

The GTO has had mixed response but really lets just look at firstly the S2...Brilliant...then the S4...Same as...the CR2...Gob smacking and well ahead of its time when originally released...Atomized 44...Cult classic..not to mention other protos such as the xx4 Atomized that we never got but man it looked amazing...

The original post showing a 'slim GTO' in my eyes is testimony to what Jonathan started...ingenuity and carbon buggy lovelyness...well done both AC and the gent who has spun the GTO idea further. Not every buggy is for every driver...but AC just keep coming back with new options.

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 18-07-2011

Jon's a top fella and it is sad to hear that anyone would not be happy with the service AC provides?
Now the Fandango tub is online can i have mine in red please.....
W.

East Anglian ramp construction guru......Wiggles
Old 19-07-2011
Mad Member

Looks ace!