Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 01-05-2014
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
And ball diffs ! U4199 another 2-3 weeks away!
I've went away from using the ball diff and finding the gear diff is alot more to my liking, even in the wet. A good few at our club have went to this now.. however the ball diff is a good option to have in your box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Can you buy a complete car kit with the new chassis or just the conversion kit.
No, when i spoke to Tris this was not in the pipeline to do, maybe they may in the future, who knows.
However for £250 ( plenty of model shops are priced around this region) you get a very competitive car for mega high grip. Add £79.99 for the conversion and you have a superb all rounder for the outdoor environment.

Start out with shorties and you do not need to buy two types of cells, adding weight to the shortie gives the same desired effect of running saddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
James/paul take it then if you are running the low grip layout, do you have to run shorty, or are you running the low grip kit by in normal layout?
You have to run a shortie when in low grip mode, with the motor being shifted back 21mm something has to give and the shortie gives that clearance to do so.

I also have both cars, KF and SV2 and used either for each condition. However i much prefer having the one car, one set of electronics, and the option to convert that car to a high grip animal for the indoor season.

Something to bare in mind, at stotfold it is a singular surface, when the grip is high, 100% of the track is high. On a multi surface track like Kidderminster or Southport the KF is manageable. However the low grip conversion comes in to its element when you hit concrete, cobbles or tarmac - the car pushes slightly, whereas the KF will want to fishtail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmulc View Post
I dont see the point in have a convertion for the KF and also buy more batteries which have to be charged just incase you change the set up. The KF was designed for high grip so why mess with it. I love my KF and I love my SV2 lets leave it at that.

You can run shorties in both the KF and the KFLG conversion, if you wish to run the same weight as a standard KF with saddles then add some weight in front of the shortie.

If schumacher are not carful they will turn the KF into the SX3, a very nice car but a pig to set up which will put people off. Simple is best and thats what has made the SV2, K1 and KF so popular.

How will they turn a proven car in to a car that is a pig to setup? The stock KF is a huge success, and well deserved as it is an animal.
The low grip conversion simply lets that mass amount who have bought the KF for indoor racing bring their car outdoors and get it going alot easier - I see that as doing us all a favour?

Dont get me wrong I also love my SX3 and K1 but i do prefer the K1. as its simple.

The main change to the car with the low grip conversion is removing weight from the front end, shorties are the counter effect of doing this as more space is needed at the rear of the car to house the motor / layshafts.

There are some very competitive prices for a BRCA legal shortie lipo at the moment, both LRP and intellect have fantastic prices.

Last edited by PaulRotheram; 01-05-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2014
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Also to keep in mind, the current trend in 2wd offroad is the apparent need for two cars, one low grip, one high grip.

Put this in to numbers;

Set of electronics ( priced up my own equipment, LRP, sanwa, savox) excl batteries £335
KF £250
TTL £585

Set of electronics excl batteries £335
SV2 £195
TTL £530

To have both the KF and a SV2 it would total £1115

To buy the KF, with a low grip conversion, electronics, PLUS a shortie it would total £715.

A saving of £400 and you get a car that is able to work everywhere. No brainer??

Last edited by PaulRotheram; 01-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2014
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
James/paul take it then if you are running the low grip layout, do you have to run shorty, or are you running the low grip kit by in normal layout?
Im running the low grip layout with shorty and ball diff. I tried it at RHR last night and prefer it there too so pretty sure it will become my main car now. The shorty in the standard layout is poor in my opinion, but with the new layout I think its excellent in high and low
Old 01-05-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
Something to bare in mind, at stotfold it is a singular surface, when the grip is high, 100% of the track is high. On a multi surface track like Kidderminster or Southport the KF is manageable. However the low grip conversion comes in to its element when you hit concrete, cobbles or tarmac - the car pushes slightly, whereas the KF will want to fishtail.

only doing oople series and local rhr regionals so only southport to cope with ;-)

im lucky enough to have all my cars fully ready to go by flicking a switch and selecting the model, cost has been done!
Old 01-05-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Im running the low grip layout with shorty and ball diff. I tried it at RHR last night and prefer it there too so pretty sure it will become my main car now. The shorty in the standard layout is poor in my opinion, but with the new layout I think its excellent in high and low
cheers James that's what I was trying to ask/get the answer for
Old 03-05-2014

The build is done bar the shouting (alignment, electrics to go in, aerial tube) and the quality is again excellent on the build...

I know it's a 21 mm move but it looks huge compared to the standard.

The only questions / comments I have are:

1) why does the instructions state that the way to change a battery is to remove the side pods? For those that are already using it have you dremeled away the side pod to give further access or just leaving cells in the car to charge (implications at BRCA event?) or what?

2) why have they not accommodated for the fact that the motor has moved back and put a 2nd hole ot access the motor positioning screw in the side pod? I guess it's reamer time right?

If I've been a numpty then please do say

A couple of other pics...

Showing the "lack" of aligned access...

Side view...

So for those that are already running with this - any tips or advice?

Thanks
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 03-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
Also to keep in mind, the current trend in 2wd offroad is the apparent need for two cars, one low grip, one high grip.

Put this in to numbers;

Set of electronics ( priced up my own equipment, LRP, sanwa, savox) excl batteries £335
KF £250
TTL £585

Set of electronics excl batteries £335
SV2 £195
TTL £530

To have both the KF and a SV2 it would total £1115

To buy the KF, with a low grip conversion, electronics, PLUS a shortie it would total £715.

A saving of £400 and you get a car that is able to work everywhere. No brainer??
I agree but as I have all the cars above but no shorties, I stand to be out of pocket. If you look on oople u will see that I designed the KF well over 12 months ago. http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112797
I guess im going to have to go back to the drawing board and design it again so it can run saddles with the new chassis lol
Old 03-05-2014
Banned

Was Darrenbloomfield running the mmotor in the rearward position at Southport today?
Old 04-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post
Was Darrenbloomfield running the mmotor in the rearward position at Southport today?
looked like it from the picture of his car if you look in the side window
Old 04-05-2014

ran my low grip chassis today at mendip off road track was amazing loads of rear grip and steering and took the bump better then standard layout I felt
Old 04-05-2014

Anyone know what type of diff the top Schumacher guys were running in the kf at Southport national?
Old 04-05-2014
Mad Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
Anyone know what type of diff the top Schumacher guys were running in the kf at Southport national?
Ball with a few other bits
Old 06-05-2014

Anyone know what belt the low grip uses
Old 06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
117 tooth
Old 06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan may View Post
117 tooth
So thats longer then kit ??
Old 07-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
the low grip conversion uses a 103t belt, the shorty conversion uses the 117t belt
Old 07-05-2014

the set up is on the Schumacher site set ups etc, it was carrying 96 grams of extra weight under the battery and beside the motor , rear motor configuration as we'll
Old 12-05-2014

What modifications are needed to shell to the original shell are required? Im very tempted to get the kitbut there are no shells for the low grip anywhere. Is it a case of a cut a hole so the spur doesnt foul the shell, if so will it be ok to run it as it has an exposed spur? Has anyone cut their original shell, if so pics please
Old 12-05-2014

I warmed mine up and pushed my thumb into it to create a buldge where the spur is
Old 12-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Are you adding any weight anywhere with this configuration James?

Team Associated B6.1

Kyosho RZ7

Kyosho ZX7

All kept going by PBM Racing