Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 09-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
Don't you think more manufacturers would make hard-cased lipos once there was the demand?
Yeah sure, so that is you and who else that want one?
Old 09-12-2009

How can you puncture a lipo when everyone is running Shark's which are a tub chassis

Old 09-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I dunno, there is 4wd and 2wd chassis, as I said, I don't race Micro, so can't really comment on that aspect.
Old 09-12-2009
Administrator

I run an m18tpro?
Old 09-12-2009

Thank you DCM, I think that's one of the most sensible posts I've seen on the subject.
Old 09-12-2009

You'd have to ask the various club why they don't like non-hardcased lipos.

Personally I've killed about 3 soft lipos in the past year. One, I dropped some solder on it at Tamworth, so didn't want to risk running it. Second, something went wrong with the motor or connections which led to smoke coming from my car. Can't remember what happened to the third one, but in all that time that I've been runing micro lipos, I've been running 1/10th TC hard cased lipos, with no problems.

Also, Trakpower has new hard cased micro lipos on they way, as part of their dark series, but they're yet to be released.
Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Yeah sure, so that is you and who else that want one?
All the people who are currently asking me for lipos in the shop.
Old 09-12-2009

Hard case lipo's will just raise prices and turn people away. As the class stands you can race at a very competitive level for a small amount of money in comparison with other classes.

I've heard all this before so im off back to UKMRC

Old 09-12-2009

Can no-one read? You can still race your cheap lipos, putting everyone's safety at risk.
Old 09-12-2009

Well, if you have clubs, that have rules which stipulate that only hard cased lipo's are to be used, how would the section cope, if they were to have a national?

I mean, if, as a section, you are looking into LiPo safety, then you got to be looking at people over charging/incorrectly charging of LiPo, and also the fitment or correctly setup up Votlage cut-off in the car, that is careless of whether they are hard/soft LiPo's. Once that risk has been assessed, then you could assess the risk of puncture in that class of racing. As the section is also covered by the BRCA insurance, if an accident were to happen, then the insurance company would more than likely want to see a risk assessment before it would contemplate a claim.
Old 09-12-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I run an m18tpro?
But you don't count coz you're weird
Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Can no-one read? You can still race your cheap lipos, putting everyone's safety at risk.
I have only ever seen 1 micro lipo go up in smoke and that was user error 5 AMPS on nimh setting

Old 09-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

/Yawn

Would you believe it, im with Danny and Carl on this one I never thought that would happen lol

Steve, if the BRCA were in a position where risk assessments had to be done before any claims AND that assessment would show a risk in using softcase lipos I am 110% sure that the BRCA would be onto me and Dez like a shot.

Joffrey, will we be seeing you and your M18TPro at Tamworth in January? You know that you and Mrs.O are always welcome

Sarah, you are well within your rights to propose that you have an EB list. Good luck....

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 09-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
And that's where you keep going wrong in insisting that just because a lipo is on the list it will be safer than one that isn't. As someone else has quoted from the EB this isn't the reason the list was created.

I have not had any problems with my mucho cheapo micro lipos but have had a 'legal and therefore safe' trakpower swell up, and in that situation it being hard cased made no difference to the outcome.

I do worry for these clubs what will happen when their venues find out that even lipos on the list aren't safe if they are mistreated (and no I didn't mistreat mine!)

I did come up with a proposal last year when you raised this - did you investigate it any further? Personally I've taken some time out from Micro racing which is why I'm not going to be making any proposals for the EGM.
Old 09-12-2009

[QUOTE=c0sie;319586]/Yawn

Would you believe it, im with Danny and Carl on this one I never thought that would happen lol

WOW

Old 09-12-2009

Old 09-12-2009

Wow indeed, Cris, Carl and Danny actually agree on something what a momentous occasion.

I would say as long as you treat the Lipo battery with care and respect then it should be safe enough to use otherwise they wouldnt be sold, especially if children are involved in the sport.

I run the overlander 800mah and they are awesome at about £12 each. Would be gutted if i was told i could only run £47 hard cased ones.
Old 09-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
Wow indeed, Cris, Carl and Danny actually agree on something what a momentous occasion.
It's happened before and it might just happen again
Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
I run the overlander 800mah and they are awesome at about £12 each. Would be gutted if i was told i could only run £47 hard cased ones.
I'll put ths in capitals below, so that the hard of reading can fully understand it.

ONLY HARD CASED LIPOS WOULD NEED TO BE ON THE BRCA LIST, NON-HARDCASED LIPOS OR "SOFT" CASED LIPOS, WOULD NOT NEED TO BE ON THE LIST, AND YOU COULD CARRY ON USING THEM.

FFS - Am I speaking another language or something?
Old 09-12-2009

Actually, that don't make much sense, I can understand having a list of cells, or regulations on cell construction, but not to go through the process of making cell rules, getting them checked by the EB, a list created, and then still allowing non-checked cells to be used.