Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 03-10-2018

Default Which tyres for old carpet

Started to think about racing my old mr4 rally car indoors at telford on Tuesday nights on old carpet. Which tyres would you recommend now. It's been 15 years since I last done this so looking for slicks.

Cheers Jon kedge.
Old 03-10-2018
Mad Member

Sorex 28's black inserts are grippy and commonly used. You will also need additive. Nowadays you cannot use oil based ones. Of the new additives I like SXT 3.0, spider grip is also popular.
Old 03-10-2018

Yep sorex 28 blacks work on everything really. Hudy additive is spot on too
Old 26-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
Sorex 28's black inserts are grippy and commonly used. You will also need additive. Nowadays you cannot use oil based ones. Of the new additives I like SXT 3.0, spider grip is also popular.
I was out of the 1/10th scale for some years. What is with the oil based tire prep?
Old 26-10-2018
Mad Member

Year's ago tyre additive were mainly based on "oil of wintergreen" I can't honestly remember if it was nasty and or smelly stuff or both
Hovwever I think it's now phased out most readily available additives are OK to use but do check first
I think brca may have rules in different sections for what is currently approved
Regards Dave
Old 05-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
Year's ago tyre additive were mainly based on "oil of wintergreen" I can't honestly remember if it was nasty and or smelly stuff or both
Hovwever I think it's now phased out most readily available additives are OK to use but do check first
I think brca may have rules in different sections for what is currently approved
Regards Dave
Thank you. Current prep liquids are still unhealthy, right? I used to use green soap and that always worked for me, but I'm not fighting lap times.

B.
Old 06-11-2018
Mad Member

I'm not sure of actual ingredients nowadays I use sxt 3 normally and happy with it also spider grip in blue or green formulas is popular

Regards Dave
Old 06-11-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin10th View Post
I was out of the 1/10th scale for some years. What is with the oil based tire prep?
We last used oil of wintergreen based additives 25 years ago.

Today there are two types of tyre additive, known as water based and oil based, both are fairly safe. The difference is the ingredients used, and what happens when you use them. An oil based additive can leave behind an oily residue on the track, that's fine outdoors on tarmac where it helps generate grip, but indoors on carpet the oil residue ends up in the carpet making the carpet slimy and reduces the grip for anyone not using that same additive. Outdoors any build up will get washed away, indoors it just ends up soaking into the carpet and staying there.

The BRCA 1/12 section tested additives a few years ago and produce a list of additives allowed on carpet, these water based additives don't build up in the carpet and have been tested to check they are compatible with each other so different additives can be used at the same time.

Choose whatever is popular at your local club and you can't go wrong.