Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 01-06-2013

Default Vega Elite motor mount/gear cover problem

I have bought a motor mount/gear cover for my Vega 201, but I have come across a problem when fitting it.

The problem is that the spur gear is seated too far from the motor plate, and the outer face of the spur is rubbing on the inside of the gear cover. Changing the orientation of the cover makes no difference, it has to be physically spaced away from the motor plate to clear the spur.

I have measured the distance between the outer face of the spur and the motor plate face, and on the Vega, it is approx 8.5mm. I have another 201 that is standard, and the same distance on that chassis is 7mm, so the spur gear is sitting 1.5mm further out from the motor plate on the Vega, which is causing the rubbing. The layshaft cannot move any further into the gearbox housing to compensate.

What are the differences between the Vega B4 motor plate and the Tamiya/Kyosho one? The header card on the packaging doesn't state which version mine is, so I am thinking maybe I got sent the wrong one?
Old 01-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The tamiya and kyosho are the same the associated is different, i had the same problem with my kyosho with the worlds slipper as it has a washer that sits on the face of the slipper pad to hold the new slipper spring i ended up going back to the standard motor plate as the kyosho and tamiya gear cover didnt fit without major rubbing
Old 01-06-2013

Having paid £40 for the new motor mount, I certainly didn't expect to be having any clearance issues like this. I am assuming of course that the motor mount can be used with a standard Tamiya 201 gear cover, and you don't specifically need the Kyosho RB5 one, as there are no instructions to specify this.
Old 01-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The std gear cover works with the mount, plenty of cars out there with this option part fitted.

Give xtreme a call on Monday and I am sure they will be able to help

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Mine rubs too, gen2 RB5. However, after a while it rubs enough of the cover to not worry about it....

IMHO the cover needs to sit another 2mm off the spur.
Old 02-06-2013

I have been having a look for pics of Tamiya gear covers mounted on the motor mount, and came across some of Lee Martins Vega 201 (http://events.redrc.net/2013/03/chas...us-lee-martin/). As can be seen particularly in the 6th picture (http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/u...inTamiya-6.jpg), he is using a spacer between the gear cover and the motor mount, so I guess it's just normal.

I was at my local astro track yesterday doing some practice, with 2mm spacers between the gear cover and motor mount, and 3 times I had to cut short a run as debris had got stuck in the spur gear. I'll have to see what is the the smallest spacer I can use without the spur gear rubbing, or try to make some sort of gasket out of a spare gear cover that will seal all the way around.
Old 02-06-2013
Mad Member

Hi toon
Why not use the 2mm spacers glued to the gear cover so they are easier to install
Then cut a thin piece of loop side Velcro and stick it to the motor plate where the cover goes obviously leaving a gap where the spacers go
This should seal it nicely
Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2013

Steve Haskins - Penguin body shells is making some lexan gear covers for us around the midlands area, prototype ATM but should be done soon
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Toon, i run the gen2 rb5 sp2 wc, i bought the motor plate as the motor plate is made for the tamiya but i was told they are the same and would fit the rb5, so i bought a tamiya gear cover which does not fit the rb5 as the layshaft is to long, the rb5 gear cover will not fit either as the mounting holes for the gear cover are tamiya i then cut and made new holes in the rb5 gear cover got this to fit then it didnt fit as the rubbing on the gear and washer meant i had to buy another slipper washer and spring kit this in turn with the other bits motor plate x2 gear covers and slipper spring kit has cost nearly 70 quid but the motor plate does look nice on shelf in front of the telly.
Old 04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoiwebb View Post
Steve Haskins - Penguin body shells is making some lexan gear covers for us around the midlands area, prototype ATM but should be done soon
Here are a couple of images of the prototype cover, this is the 1st one pulled and is being revised! I don't believe Steve is planning on selling these 'generally' as he's only making a few for myself and andoiwebb. (it wont hurt to ask him though if your interested!).

photo-1.JPG

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.JPG
Old 10-06-2013

Just a bit of information for those running the RB6 Vega or thinking of getting one, this might apply to those running the Vega RB5 too. I spoke to Xtreme today and along with the gearbox update which allows getting into the gearbox internals without removing your slipper and spur gear, they have now updated the motor plate too, so the stock RB6 gear cover will fit without any rubbing issues