Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 25-02-2021

Default First Vintage

Hi All

Would like to get a vintage to enter into vintage classes this year as looks like fun.

I'm still a beginner so would like to keep the price down as much as possible, I'm wondering if I'm best to look for an original on eBay or buy a re-release of something like a Tamiya Hornet which is £95 new?

I already have a Kyosho so would love an original Ultima but they are out of my price range, I also like the Tamiya's but I would be open to anything as all the vintage cars have character

Any Advice appreciated

Thanks
Old 25-02-2021
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowman View Post
Hi All

Would like to get a vintage to enter into vintage classes this year as looks like fun.

I'm still a beginner so would like to keep the price down as much as possible, I'm wondering if I'm best to look for an original on eBay or buy a re-release of something like a Tamiya Hornet which is £95 new?

I already have a Kyosho so would love an original Ultima but they are out of my price range, I also like the Tamiya's but I would be open to anything as all the vintage cars have character

Any Advice appreciated

Thanks
Depends if you want to actually race. A hornet will be lapped about 10 times a race

What about a rere ultima they look good? How much are you wanting to spend?
Old 25-02-2021

If you don't mind await, I hear there will be another Schumacher Vintage re-release, there is also the Mardave Cobra Evo, although the price is a little high on them
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 25-02-2021
Mad Member

My only thought on an original is that the plastics are likely to be brittle with age and spares are harder to come by.
I would thoroughly recommend the re re Ultima, but there are other re-res so pick one and go for it
I love my Ultima - makes me smile whenever I run it. I even use it at normal meets and it might not beat the modern buggies, but what it lacks in speed it makes up in style and smiles!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 26-02-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Depends if you want to actually race. A hornet will be lapped about 10 times a race

What about a rere ultima they look good? How much are you wanting to spend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty2332 View Post
If you don't mind await, I hear there will be another Schumacher Vintage re-release, there is also the Mardave Cobra Evo, although the price is a little high on them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
My only thought on an original is that the plastics are likely to be brittle with age and spares are harder to come by.
I would thoroughly recommend the re re Ultima, but there are other re-res so pick one and go for it
I love my Ultima - makes me smile whenever I run it. I even use it at normal meets and it might not beat the modern buggies, but what it lacks in speed it makes up in style and smiles!
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping to get something around the £100 mark or under as it was just going to be a little side project. The Ultima rere is nearly £300 so definitely out of my price range
Old 26-02-2021
Mad Member

Probably keep an eye on ebay for ones that need work then if you want to go down that route. If not then I'm guessing the low end tamiya will be where you are at
Old 26-02-2021

Tamiya are re-leasing alot of re-release kits with various prices.
I'm tempted by the re-released Grasshopper 2, since it was my first ever hobbygrade
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 26-02-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowman View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping to get something around the £100 mark or under as it was just going to be a little side project
I don’t think you’re being unreasonable in you hopes but I think you’re probably £50 short of something truly vintage that could actually get round a track at any pace.

There’s a Schumacher Cougar (looks like a MK1) on eBay at the moment for £150. It needs bits but it could be a good buy if the rumours of a rerelease come to fruition as spare parts would be even more available

Other than that you might be able to pick a Losi JR2 up for around £150 but parts are going to be difficult to find. Sometimes the odd rough RC10 goes for about the same but usually only 6 gears and usually well beaten.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Old 26-02-2021
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Mardave COBRA.

If your on a budget. Then seriously consider a Mardave COBRA. Spares are very cheap also. I think you could pick a good one up for around £75-£100...

Im actually doing a New build in the Mardave section....

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 01-03-2021

Thanks for all the replies, think you are right. I will hold off and wait until I can afford something like an to get something worthwhile or I'll end up disappointed! Deep down I want an Ultima or decent Tamiya