Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 30-01-2012
Administrator

Default MIP “Real Shocks” Bypass1 pistons

The team at MIP have been working hard behind the scenes on their newest Hi-Tech innovation – “Real Shocks” Bypass1 Piston technology!!

Unlike any piston seen before in the R/C industry, these pistons are inspired by full size off road vehicles. The description of what these pistons are designed to accomplish will change your definition of how you thought a shock absorber should work.

A noticeable problem was MIP’s motivation for giving birth to “Real Shocks” Bypass1 patent-pending technology, and what better shock design is there besides real off-road trophy truck shocks?
MIP’s top engineers studied and decoded the Off-Road Vehicle shocks, and came up with their very own version of shock bypass technology! For more information check out their all new “Real Shocks” website.

What the “Real Shocks” offer;
· Full Scale Bypass technology for R/C cars, trucks and buggies

· Precision machined pistons made from bearing grade plastics

· Colour coded valves for easy set-up and assembly

· Octagon shaped pistons to reduce drag and keep the piston guided in the shock bore

· Dyno tested to match the rebound flow of stock pistons

· Direct replacement for stock pistons, no modifications required to fit

Available for Associated, HPI, Losi, TLR and Traxxas shocks

www.realshocks.com
Old 31-01-2012
Mad Member

I saw an article about this a few days back. I'm very curious how much an improvement it will be Looks interesting for sure!
Old 31-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Surely in the photos the valve is up-side-down?

As you want the damping to be upward, and the piston to move quicker downward - so the shock can recover a bump quicker ready for the next? Anyone else think this too?

If the piston is free to move up, but recovers slower, this I see as a bad thing. Which is how I see it would work the way the piston is assembled in the images. :/
Old 31-01-2012
Mad Member

Car shocks work this way to with rebound damping

mvh Isobarik
Old 31-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Surely in the photos the valve is up-side-down?

As you want the damping to be upward, and the piston to move quicker downward - so the shock can recover a bump quicker ready for the next? Anyone else think this too?

If the piston is free to move up, but recovers slower, this I see as a bad thing. Which is how I see it would work the way the piston is assembled in the images. :/
I think that at slow speeds, the valve is not supposed to work, so the piston reacts like your usual RC piston.

The valve should open when facing bumps at speed where the piston speed is high and you don't want pack. (I wonder how it will work on jumps though)

So, unlike RPM 2-stage pistons that had a different damping depending the side and were supposed to be "heavier" on compression, MIP pistons are the same on both ways but "open" instead of packing heavily, like on 1/1 cars.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 31-01-2012
Administrator

It does say on the MIP page that you can run them the other way round
Old 31-01-2012
oOple Contributor

it looks so complicated
Old 31-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

We run these on the original Predator car.
Richard Weatherley designed these over ten years ago and were used on Kevin Moores car and William Mitchams etc etc !!!!

Nice idea and works in certain conditions but for the life of me i don't understand the hex part - why would you want oil by passing the piston holes apart from just opening the valve - Strange in my opinion!!
Old 31-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Gayo, it doesn't add up. When the car takes a bit hit/big landing, you want more damping/pack not less?

For example, Ghea pistons with rounded edge on the under side gives more pack on compression, and quicker return/recovery.... they work. You don't want them the other way around certainly not. I love Ghea pistons btw.

Im no engineer, and im open minded, but this is blatantly obvious to me. They are an ace idea, but they ought to get the images the right way around , and I would try them running them (the right way).
Old 31-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

what we really need/want is 3-stage pistons.

usual 'roll' to be a certain damping, landing off jumps to be a certain damping, and then a big rut hit to be another kind of damping.

on a super bumpy track when your wheel smacks the face of a rut, you want your wheel to get out of the way VERY QUICKLY and not upset the chassis.
Old 31-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Chris - The picture is correct matey
The piston is forced upwards on landing and therefore the holes get restricted and hence more pack - Obviously they open with the force of the oil going through the holes but no as quick

Chris is right as always too - LOL
Old 31-01-2012

If my memory is correct this was tried before when one of the major American shock building company’s was asked if it would work and if they would try and build a set.
The end result was that due to the shock sizes used within radio controlled cars that it would not work as good as the standard shock piston style we use now.>>
Old 31-01-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
The piston is forced upwards on landing and therefore the holes get restricted and hence more pack - Obviously they open with the force of the oil going through the holes but no as quick

dont agree tony, as the shock shaft is pushed up the valves when on the bottom open allowing the piston to move quicker,

the idea of the hex is to allow an amount of oil in both directions, blank the holes and the piston moves as normal with oil going round the hex gaps and piston bore, now add holes and the damping is softer/less pack, now add valves and one way the oil can by pass as hex and holes, the other way the piston can only use the hex for the oil to bypass the piston

chris, some of the rally x guy used to use them as in the pictures to allow the suspension to react quick over smaller bumps, as chrsi d said to prevent the car from kicking up, the slower damping prevents a pogo reaction too, though as you know on a hard hit it will not have enough pack, which is why chris d says we need 3 way damping
Old 31-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Mark - I am refering to the valves used on normal pistons.
Old 31-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
We run these on the original Predator car.
Richard Weatherley designed these over ten years ago and were used on Kevin Moores car and William Mitchams etc etc !!!!

Nice idea and works in certain conditions but for the life of me i don't understand the hex part - why would you want oil by passing the piston holes apart from just opening the valve - Strange in my opinion!!
I remember those well, CraigD was making little valves out of brown paper to go under the pistons when we were testing at EPO too!

My Dad used to constantly say how the technology inside our shocks will have to move forwards, purely based on what they've done with Motocross bikes - The suspension is SO advanced compared to what R/C has been using for the last few years, even a scaled down version has to work in R/C - Just look at the jumps they can do on an MX bike with no problem of bottoming out etc...
Old 31-01-2012

So basically BTCC spec dampers with adjustable high medium and low speed damping and rebound
Old 31-01-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:

Quote:
Mark - I am refering to the valves used on normal pistons.
which picture you on about then?
Old 31-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

If you place the valve at the bottom of a ordinary piston. On impact the hole will be closed and then will open via the force of the oil through the holes (no hex pistons)
Old 31-01-2012
Mad Member

I'm sure I had something very much like these on my Tamiya Supershot shocks back in '87.
Old 31-01-2012
Administrator

copy and paste from my X10 review a few years back -

The front shocks
use a flat flexible disk under the piston, which Ttech describe as a “rebound valve”, the general idea of this seems to be to allow the shocks to react quicker to hits on compression but on rebound the disc would then block the hole in the piston slowing the return slightly. Some people seem to be either taking this off or using it on the other way around, at the top of the piston, slowing the compression and speeding up the rebound, either way its another tuning option.