Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-01-2011

Default Newbies guide to race day - by a newbie

Having recently taken part in my first ever raceday at Eden Park Raceway, I thought it may be useful for other race virgins to have a little guide as to how race day works and what to expect and what you may need.

I hope that others will add to this, as am sure I'll forget something - or indeed that other clubs may do things a little differently - either way, there'll hopefully be a good thread that you'll be to have a gander at to have have a good idea as to what goes on.

So you arrive at the track what happens first.

Park your car and grab a space/set up your gear etc

Then you'll have to book in, this will just be a case of confirming your name, the class your going to race in and if you have your own transponder and of course paying your race fee and giving over your BRCA number if you have one (can do three racedays without one).

If your club does handout transponders then you'll need a body reamer - I didn't have one but a fellow club member leant me theirs - you'll have to make a hole in your shell to mount it, and you will need an extra body clip (large kind) to hold it in place (worth having a couple in case the blighters pop out). Some transponders will be self powering, so you won't need to plug this into your receiver.

So that's your hole made for the transponder, what next - check the race listings to see what your car number is and what heat you'll be racing in, then go and get your car number sticker and stick it in your car.

If your needing a handout transponder then you'll collect this at the start of each heat and return at the end of each heat - again check the heat listings to make sure you pick up the right transponder number.

Raceday itself will consist of a number of heats and then culminate with A,B and maybe C finals at the end.

In your first heat your car number will signify where you start in the staggered start. Your times for this heat will directly affect where you start in the next heat. When you reach the finals, your overall times will affect if your in the A (top half) or B (bottom half) final.

(make sure to check the print outs after your heats, so you can see where you finished in the last heat and also where you'll start in the next heat)

At the start of the staggered start (you should be able to get a lap around the track in before your heat actually starts) you go when the automatic computer voice calls out your car number - likewise at the end of the race (5 minutes) they'll be two electronic beeps, the first beep telling you the race is nearly over and the 2nd beep signifying the end.

After all your heats have finished, you've made it to the final, the start for this is not staggered, and is a standing start for all, your overall position in the previous heats dictating where you start on the grid. This time, they'll be a series of beeps - at the end of which the signal to go - then your off.........

In between heats you may need to undertake the marshalling role. Whilst I'm sure all clubs will have their own way of doing this the way it worked at EPR was that you marshalled the race after yours, this basically involves a number of people sitting at various locations on the track (normally the parts where everyone crashed) and all you have to do is put cars back on track if they get stuck or turn over, of course whilst trying to avoid getting hit in the feet at speed.

Thats pretty much it

So what do you need with you?

power supply (car battery etc if no mains power),
battery charger,
batteries. (I had two lipo's, but to be honest only really needed one, was able to borrow someones charger to top the battery up between heats),
tools,
spares,(including tyres for wet/dry conditions)
paint brush - to clean up car between heats,
sarnies,
table and chairs for pitting if no facilities (or the boot of your car in my case),

Hope this proves useful, and please add to all

I had a really really good day and highly recommend all of you reading this thinking about starting racing......to start racing
Cheers
matt

Old 10-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

looks like quite a good guide for giving someone who's never been to a race meet an idea of what to expect !
Old 10-01-2011

Don't forget marshalling duties!

Also in the heat the first 'beep' near the end signifies to finish your lap.

Other than that, not a bad summary!

Old 10-01-2011

Also if they are new to the scene with a brand new car it may take a few races for things to settle down and get the settings usable and comparable with others.

there is no way to get the settings right without track time, especially moreso if you have an on-road variant.

Also helps a LOT if you can find someone willing to suggest changes, ie if the club has a forum, join in, chat and they can show you what may need to be changed.

http://mardaveforums.com/
Old 10-01-2011

Cheers Chris
Old 10-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Don't forget marshalling duties!

Also in the heat the first 'beep' near the end signifies to finish your lap.

Other than that, not a bad summary!

lol I was writing about marshalling as you posted about marshalling.... oh i didn't realise that's what the first beep meant, cool........so if you've just passed the start line when the first beep goes - will your lap count if you pass the finish line after the 2nd beep?
Old 11-01-2011

Default Forgot the most important thing

moved to threadstarter
Old 11-01-2011

thats a good effort there, i remember my first race day i was a little lost but my club made me feel very welcome and i had been to a practice day so i had an idea on how the place worked.

it might help to edit the original post to include the updates on marsheling etc incase someone doesnt read through all the replies.
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Plymouth RC Think You Can Drive 2010 - 3rd Place
Old 11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerobinson83 View Post
it might help to edit the original post to include the updates on marsheling etc incase someone doesnt read through all the replies.
top idea, hadn't occurred to me to do that.....tis done
Old 14-01-2011

Nice guide. What about a video blog to accompany it, showing the booking in, start of race stuff?

I'm going to have my first trip out to a club night next week and this has helped me feel a little more relaxed about it.
Old 15-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcat View Post
Nice guide. What about a video blog to accompany it, showing the booking in, start of race stuff?

I'm going to have my first trip out to a club night next week and this has helped me feel a little more relaxed about it.
Cheers Tezcat, glad it's helped,

(as for a video blog to accompany it.....going to be doing my first indoor meet this month, so could give it a go )
Old 09-05-2011

Good guide pal. Im going racing for the first time ever in a fortnight. This has helped me
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardz83 View Post
Good guide pal. Im going racing for the first time ever in a fortnight. This has helped me
Cheers mate (gonna need to update the main thread starter in a while to include multi legged finals, did one of them at my first regional the other day
Old 09-05-2011

Default loan transponder mounting

i recently learned the hard way that a hand out/loan transponder is to be mounted to the rear wing, not inside the shell.
Old 09-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not necessarily, I always ran mine mounted through the front window on all my shells ... if it's in teh wing it can sometimes get ripped off.
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by james v View Post
i recently learned the hard way that a hand out/loan transponder is to be mounted to the rear wing, not inside the shell.
Saw a car up EPR with their transponder on their wing the other day for the first time....what's the prob with mounting on the shell
Old 09-05-2011
Super Moderator

Don't think i fancy putting it on the wing, just buy a proper mount & put it inside, job done
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainsy View Post
Don't think i fancy putting it on the wing, just buy a proper mount & put it inside, job done
Me neither....I opted for buying an MRT, super small and saves the kafuffle of putting in and taking out after each race
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
Saw a car up EPR with their transponder on their wing the other day for the first time....what's the prob with mounting on the shell
when the belt cuts a groove through the expensive and now non replaceable club transponder.
Old 09-05-2011

i also thought it would be safe in the shell,
but someone landed on my buggy knocked the pin out, the transponder was then bouncing around inside and got caught in the main belt, snapped the belt, and broke the front pulley and ground a nice ridge in the casing of the transponder.

Not a happy club organiser, :-(

Now I have a pt for both my buggy's saves any hassle or grief.