Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-12-2008

Default Decent buget/mid-range transmitter/handset

Hi guys,
A few questions for you wize lot, being new to the RC scene please excuse me if my 'Lingo' is a bit behind..lol. Im learning...

I am after a new transmitter/handset for my Lazer zx-5 RTR, i'v just bought the car and getting on well with it but im hopeless with the 'pistol' type handset!!

I would much prefer the traditional type of handset (don't know the proper name of them...sorry) that i used years ago with my Mardave Cobra!!!

I want something half decent but nothing over the top, but then again nothing crappy either.
Also is it worth my while splashing out and going 2.4Ghz, iv heard they are the way forward...

Thanks guys, any feedback is very well apreciated....
Paul..
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Futaba 3GR is a very good mid-range stick set.
Old 19-12-2008

Send a message via MSN to AndyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Futaba 3GR is a very good mid-range stick set.
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...G&Category=010

Also available with 2.4ghz.

I highly recommend Futaba gear; i run the 3VCS (high end model), and it's great. Easy to use, menus are easy to navigate, etc. etc.
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...G&Category=010

Also available with 2.4ghz.

I highly recommend Futaba gear; i run the 3VCS (high end model), and it's great. Easy to use, menus are easy to navigate, etc. etc.
Ouch. I'm sure that used to be a lot cheaper - has the RRP gone up since the collapse of the pound?
Old 19-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Ouch. I'm sure that used to be a lot cheaper - has the RRP gone up since the collapse of the pound?

Don't have a clue if i'm honest .

I think so; DMS Racing have the same thing on there website showing RRP £184.99, there price £169.95.

So you're probably right.

Grab yourself a bargain @ DMS, Paul ( http://www.dms-racing.com/fruzat/wra...pe=&search=3gr )
Old 19-12-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Easy to use, menus are easy to navigate, etc. etc.
are you sure I thought it was a nightmare on the 3vc... having to press two buttons at the same time and shiz... my opinion is that the esprit is easier to navigate.

Ben
Old 19-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
are you sure I thought it was a nightmare on the 3vc... having to press two buttons at the same time and shiz... my opinion is that the esprit is easier to navigate.

Ben
A 3VC is different to a 3VCS ben

Much easier..
Old 19-12-2008

I wasn't impressed with the 3GR to be honest, certainly not built to the same quality as the 3VCS.
How about a Sanwa Super Exzes?

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=P-EXZ/3N
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

I'll vouch for the 3GR 2.4ghz too, I've had mine for a year and it's been excellent. I paid £165 for it (pre-pound-going-down-the-toilet), worth every penny. The only issue I had - and its purely a personal preference - was that the sticks felt too lightly sprung for me. Changed the springs for some out of an old Acoms Techniplus tranny, took about 5 minutes and problem solved.
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
I wasn't impressed with the 3GR to be honest, certainly not built to the same quality as the 3VCS.
How about a Sanwa Super Exzes?

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=P-EXZ/3N
In all fairness dude, it's not meant to be or they'd never sell an 3VCS's. Its like comparing a Playstation 2 to a Playstation 3, they both do the job but one is much much nicer albeit at a price. Yes the 3GR does feel much less substantial than a VCS but thats just a question of perspective. Anyone coming to a 3GR from say an RTR tranny (like the poster) would probably think a 3GR was the dogs.

Remember, the best tranny in the world doesn't necessarily make a better driver.
Old 19-12-2008

A Sanwa Gemini 2 is a massive step up from an RTR type stick set and is half the price of the Futaba with similar build quality.

The Super Exzes is 3VCS quality and spec for 3GR money.

Although the 3GR has good specs I found it to be very "plasticy" with no real weight to it. The price premium for 2.4ghz is a bit excessive too.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
A Sanwa Gemini 2 is a massive step up from an RTR type stick set and is half the price of the Futaba with similar build quality.
Actually I agree with you there, I had a Gemini 2 and it was indeed very nicely built and felt good to hold. To be fair, so many people have gone over to 2.4 now that having crystals is not the issue it once was as the chance of two drivers on the rostrum having the same frequency is now a lot less.
Old 19-12-2008

+1 for the Sanwa Gemini II, I've got one and it's very easy to use with some cool features. There's one on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sanwa-Gemini-2...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

When I upgraded to my 3GR, I got £40 for my Gemini II on the 'bay complete with the receiver but no box or rechargeable battery pack. This was a year ago, so it'll be interesting to see what this one gets to. Aren't they only about £85 new?
Old 20-12-2008
oOple Advertiser

Have to agree that the Futabe 3GR (either 40mhz or 2.4ghz) or the Sanwa Gemini are definatley amongst our most popular two "mid range" stick radios without question. Both are superb for the money.

And YES Ripmax have had a HUGE price hike on most of their items since the pound plummett, but we have held all our prices on stock that was already in place before the new RRP's were introduced, sadly they will all creep up as the new fresh "dearer" stock is brought in to replenish what is sold. At the moment though stock on 3GR and Gemini is pretty good, so prices will be staying low for the immediate future.

On a side note we had our first delivery today of 4PK 2.4ghz steerwheel radios "since" the price hike, the RRP on these has gone up from £369.95 to £479.95!!!! AND Ripmax are not honouring their old prices to the shops even if we did order it before they announced the rises at the older price!!!
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 20-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS Racing View Post
On a side note we had our first delivery today of 4PK 2.4ghz steerwheel radios "since" the price hike, the RRP on these has gone up from £369.95 to £479.95!!!! AND Ripmax are not honouring their old prices to the shops even if we did order it before they announced the rises at the older price!!!

Hmmm amazes me how prices go up when the exchange rate is not in our favour but when it is we rarely seem to get any benefits!!! But £480 for a transmitter thats well excessive ain't it

Anyway back on subject, I always liked my Hitec Pro Car transmitter, it was a bit plastic, but worked faultlessly.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!