Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

Question First 1/10 4WD for my 8yr old????

My 8yr old son is nipping my head that he wants a 1/10 4WD buggy for Xmas. He has limited racing experience( currently races Tamiya Mini). I'd like suggestions as to what people's thoughts are on what car would be best? I'm thinking something that's easy to work on, set up and competitive. I've mainly raced 2WD buggys so have very little experience on what to get. Any help much appreciated
Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

cant go wrong with a b44.2

ticks all the boxes you have requirements of and has great parts support
loads of b44's out there so easy to get help and advice
Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

Id agree on most points above. Except that the diffs need maintaining farly regular and they not the strongest car out there.

I think the new yokomo may be a better option. Looks beefy and uses geared diffs too.
Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

Thanks for your input guys, I'd rather he got a 2WD tbh as he would better his driving skills quicker with one of them I think. I'm going to have a few headaches by the time we get to Xmas I think
Old 11-10-2013

+1 to Associated B44.x.

I have had one for a couple of years while I learnt to drive and my son also now has one. They are really easy to drive and that is important for a young lad rather than fighting a potentially quicker but hard to drive car.

Parts are really cheap with great availability. I have not had to rebuild diffs very often and it really is not hard. My sons diff has not been rebuilt for 6 months now and is still smooth. I am told I will need to change the oil in gear diffs far more frequently as they break down and change their weight.

You can get a great roller for a 100 quid or so and learn all he needs to learn while his skills develop.
Old 11-10-2013

I'd say the LRP s10 blast BX2. It's plenty fast enough in brushed from and very durable for what it is. The kit tyres even work well on astro, but the kit ESC is not lipo proof on the brushed version.
Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

Are the screws on the B44.2 metric or imperial? I'm currently racing the AE TC 6.1 which is metric, just wondered if their off road buggies are the same?
Old 11-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
+1 to Associated B44.x.

I have had one for a couple of years while I learnt to drive and my son also now has one. They are really easy to drive and that is important for a young lad rather than fighting a potentially quicker but hard to drive car.

Parts are really cheap with great availability. I have not had to rebuild diffs very often and it really is not hard. My sons diff has not been rebuilt for 6 months now and is still smooth. I am told I will need to change the oil in gear diffs far more frequently as they break down and change their weight.

You can get a great roller for a 100 quid or so and learn all he needs to learn while his skills develop.
hehe I must be treating mine too rough. Im rebuilding them at least once a month. My mini 8ight with geared diffs I didnt change for 8 months!
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3sy View Post
Are the screws on the B44.2 metric or imperial? I'm currently racing the AE TC 6.1 which is metric, just wondered if their off road buggies are the same?
They are Imperial, been some calls for them to go metric but not so far. Maybe if the bring out a whole new car concept but that does not seem to the AE way!
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
hehe I must be treating mine too rough. Im rebuilding them at least once a month. My mini 8ight with geared diffs I didnt change for 8 months!
I am sure with a big motor and big jumps you can trash one quickly. We mainly race on a relatively calm track and my some has 10.5T while he is still learning not to get marshaled so much!

I have got a durango diff conversion for my B44.1 and will be trying it on Sunday not because the rebuilds bother me but I like the slightly more aggressive feel of geared diffs.
Old 12-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
I am sure with a big motor and big jumps you can trash one quickly. We mainly race on a relatively calm track and my some has 10.5T while he is still learning not to get marshaled so much!

I have got a durango diff conversion for my B44.1 and will be trying it on Sunday not because the rebuilds bother me but I like the slightly more aggressive feel of geared diffs.
Me too for geared diffs, how much did it cost all in if you don't mind me asking? I want to for the low maintenance side
Old 12-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3sy View Post
If your buying new, I think you can get a metric screw conversion. I couldnt be done with stripping the whole thing, but on a new build, I think I'd do it.
Old 12-10-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

He's 8 a b44.2 is a bit over kill. Have you looked at a caster a lot of the young members at our club have them and they are very good. Don't require anything doing to them to make them go ok. And a lot cheaper than a b44.2 seen some more experienced racers use them and have some good success.

Ash

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 12-10-2013
Mad Member

Definitely go for a B44.1/2, as already said they can be picked up for a reasonable price, plenty of spares around, easy to work on, easy to drive and lots of fun.
Old 12-10-2013
Mad Member

Not sure geared diffs are a low maintenance option from what I'm told...they need refilling regularly to keep them consistent...if your sensitive to the feel.

I have always found the AE ball diffs to be very good on maintenance...I never had an issue and only ever worked on them every 6 months to a year...and that was with weekly club meetgings, regionals and nationals.

I should probably have done more work on them...but I'm a lazy mechanic! They've never failed me though...only thing I've ever seen was a pair of crown gears wear out...but that was after a lot of use!

Now driving a Yokomo, the current 4wd and ball diffs have been bomb proof so far...only thing I've broken on the car is a front shock tower...and that was after a very fast crash that could have broken a lot more! Very easy to drive and parts are now very easy to get hold of.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
Me too for geared diffs, how much did it cost all in if you don't mind me asking? I want to for the low maintenance side
Not sure as I got them from another racer who got a team drive. The kit from Australia is 100 AUD and then you need to get the rango diffs at 35 quid a pop so a pretty expensive setup that I was holding off on due to cost. When I saw the used one I bit his arm off!
Old 12-10-2013

If u want 2wd then go for the 4.2

I do have a bmax 2 for sale if your interested
Associated RC10 B4 ( project )
Associated RC10 B4.2 (arrived)
Yokomo Bmax2 ( For Sale )

Orion R10 Pro 160
Orion R10 Pro 90A
Reventon Pro
Radios M12 and Spektrum
Real world car Merc E350 Barge
Old 12-10-2013

You could do a lot worse than a Schumacher Cougar SV. Bombproof in crashes, reliable and consistent ball diff if carefully built, parts readily available and good 2nd hand rolling chassis around for circa £75.

Easily upgradeable to the current SV2 spec should you feel the need (overkill for an 8yr old IMO).

Muzzoom Models Motorsport