Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 03-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default HPI Blitz RTR steering help needed.

Bought a used Blitz RTR that wouldn't steer. The stock HPI servo was so tired it would hardly turn the rack with the wheels off the ground so it has been binned. I've fitted an Orion VDS1409 which goes in OK-ish but as per the pics the balljoint on the rack is hard up against the servo case when the steering is centred. The rack is an STRC alloy one by the way that came in the truck so I can't go back to the plastic rack as I don't have the bits.

I've tried to use a Futaba S9350 but that seems to be too long as it fouls the x-member between the servo and battery area.

The Blitz manual only shows one style of servo mounting so I'm assuming there is nothing that can be done to adjust it there. Basically the servo needs to sit back about 1mm.

So please, does anybody have any ideas before I reluctantly start Dremelizing a brand new servo . I'd even consider buying another servo but have no idea what would fit and/or be man enough for the job (I had the Orion and the Futaba lying about so thought I'd try to use one first).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servorub1.jpg (249.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg servorub2.jpg (280.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-01-2012

Try putting a washer insde the servo horn to space it away from the servo gear, should still have enough horn on the geaR to give good contact but will push horn away enough so that the ball stub clears the servo casing. Worked for me

Old 03-01-2012

I had the same problem with a savox servo; Luckily there was enough room between the back of the servo and the plastic bulkhead in front of the battery. So I "shaved" a couple of mill off the faces of the 2 upright servo supports - so the servo could be mounted slightly further back. Worked a treat.....

I have the STRC steering and it's awesome.
Old 03-01-2012

I'd see how much I could take off the ball stud before I dremmeled the servo. Ball studs are cheaper!
Old 03-01-2012

Agree - definately don't dremel the servo.

The plastic uprights are cheap as chips
Old 12-01-2012

Interested - did you solve it?
Old 13-01-2012

What about getting a longer ball stud for the servo saver arm and put a couple of mm spacer under it to raise the arm level, that should give you the clearance you need ?
Old 13-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default Solved it.

OK, here's what I did. I got a modellers flat file which is the only file I have and which I've owned since I was a kid. I clamped it to the bench with the handle hanging off the end so it was totally level. I then put my iPod on shuffle and sat there for an hour working the servo mounts up and down the file doing my best to shave off material from the mounting face whilst keeping it all square. In the end I took off about 1.5mm so that the face is now flush with the lugs that sit in the chassis and brace. Job done.
Old 13-01-2012

Same result but I did it by laying a piece of 60 grit emery paper on a flat surface and sanded the mounts down to the lugs.

Glad it worked for you.