Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 15-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default TLR22sct or losi stce

Hi all

Thinking of upgrading from my std blitz as I'm quite enjoying running my sct at the min.

It's going to be a losi for various reasons, I know the scte is 4wd over 2wd I also notice most of the tlr guys are running the stce now. will the stce just blow the 22 away? or is the 22 a far better quality truck and more fun to drive

If I do go for the scte will I have to spend a few quid upgrading parts, or is it all good from the box?

Cheers
Dave

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 15-01-2013

All depends on what you plan on using the truck for.

If you want to go racing either are good cars and the scte has now got some decent setup a which has allowed it to catch up to the durango sct. And 4wd sct is a good fun class. However 2wd sct is the more popular and more subscribed too class and is a very competetive class in which the 22sct is going to be one of the top trucks

If you intend on bashing the truck aswell best bet is the scte. Built like a tank and can take the knocks and keep running. 22sct still very strong but definitely more of a race machine

Have owned both trucks and love both trucks. So really only down to how many wheels you want spinning and wether its just a racer or not

Not a trucking clue what short course I'll use next year. Any offers 😂
Old 15-01-2013
Banned

While both the 22SCT and the SCTE are good out of the box, there are parts here and there you "can" add to make them better and/or improve durability.

The biggest improvement in the SCTE recently has been the release of the MIP Pro4mance Chassis and Tuning Package (#12200) - though it is pricey. http://miponline.com/store/mip12200.html ..... but it's pricey.

Which one to choose totally depends on if you want to run 2wd or 4wd.
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by (off)roadrunner View Post
All depends on what you plan on using the truck for.

If you want to go racing either are good cars and the scte has now got some decent setup a which has allowed it to catch up to the durango sct. And 4wd sct is a good fun class. However 2wd sct is the more popular and more subscribed too class and is a very competetive class in which the 22sct is going to be one of the top trucks

If you intend on bashing the truck aswell best bet is the scte. Built like a tank and can take the knocks and keep running. 22sct still very strong but definitely more of a race machine

Have owned both trucks and love both trucks. So really only down to how many wheels you want spinning and wether its just a racer or not
I've seen the way you drive Dave (offroadrunner) if you can't break it then no one can, you even had a fight with a chair with it
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 18-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmm ok, thanks for advice, I would prefer to get the 22sct but I think my region is only running the class all together as just short course, thus if I were do regionals I would be taking a knife to a gun fight I feel so it may have to be the stce

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 18-01-2013

Get the scte mate. It's a fantastic bit of kit.
Old 20-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmm hang on, would I be right in saying I would need to buy 550 size gear for the scte, looking at a few photos most seem to favour tekin gear, didn't plan on pushing the boat out that far...may have to be a 22 after all

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 20-01-2013

You can get away with 540 gear in the scte but need to have mod 1 pinions with a 3.17mm bore which can be hard to find.

When I had my scte and my desc410r I used a normal esc (speed passion lpf). With a Novak 550 in the scte and a tekin pro 4 in the Durango. With no problems occurring Having a 550 motor or the tekin pro 4 (these are actually 540 size but internals are different) makes a lot of difference as it increase the torque to drive the wheels rather than top end power.

My old 4.5 550 Novak was not much faster than a similar 4wd sct running a 7.5t 540 motor.

Just spotted that you already run a 22 buggy. Which has a lot of parts in common with the 22 sct. Spindles hubs (front and rear) hinge pin holders etc front and rear front bulkhead Gearbox parts and internals. So might be worth considering that as spares can be combined between both cars for these parts. Whereas don't think the scte has many if any compatible parts even with the losi 8eu you have due the scte being based on the TEN T and 810 cars

Not a trucking clue what short course I'll use next year. Any offers 😂

Last edited by (off)roadrunner; 20-01-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 20-01-2013

Of the 4wds, the SCTE is the one that really needs 550 gear due to the weight of the thing...

Hobbywing do very good affordable systems, or you can get a used or new 550 motor & just run it with a sphere TC or gtb speedo. No need to spend £300
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Hmm hang on, would I be right in saying I would need to buy 550 size gear for the scte, looking at a few photos most seem to favour tekin gear, didn't plan on pushing the boat out that far...may have to be a 22 after all
With the extra weight of the SCTE you will need a high rated ESC and a 550 motor or at least the 4 pole Tekin motor to push it along and keep up with the lighter trucks... you'll also need big capacity and C rated lipos to handle the current draw and a beefy servo will be advised too.

A set of Mod 1 pinions soon bumps up the cost too.

The SCTE is a beast of a truck but out of the box but it is heavy, on paper it's over 300g heavier than the Durango, you can put the SCTE on a diet but tbh it will double the cost of the roller by the time you have a lighter chassis, shock mounts, titanium turnbuckles/pins and the lightened outdrives all round.

22SCT is ready to go out of the box, build quality is fantastic and it has uprated shock/slipper/diff parts as standard compared to the 22 buggy... plus can be run with standard 540 running gear you'll need some different castor blocks and some different springs will help dial it in but tbh i would recommend the TLR support pack which comes with these and a neat spares set up.

If you are considering SCT Nationals then 2WD class is more popular although the 4WD class is quicker at the top.

Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty View Post
Of the 4wds, the SCTE is the one that really needs 550 gear due to the weight of the thing...

Hobbywing do very good affordable systems, or you can get a used or new 550 motor & just run it with a sphere TC or gtb speedo. No need to spend £300
With 1/10th speedos and 550 motors on a warm/hot summers day on astro with spikes i had nothing but trouble with thermal cut outs... so did a lot of the racers running lighter cars.

Would always recommend a larger capacity ESC with 550 motors, they can take more current draw and run cooler with it.

The one problem with Novak GTB's or Havoc Pro's is the tendancy to randomly go up in smoke, plus the lousy warranty deal when they do leaves you out of pocket... seen with at least 4 of them running standard profiles
Old 20-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yer, think it will be a 22sct ordered tmro then, I was thinking of doing regionals, but looking at what they run I would have to spend a small fortune to run with the pack,I already run to many cars as it is!

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 21-01-2013

You can get a good hobbywing combo for £90

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/ezrun-br...-p-406416.html

This is what i used for ages now my step son is running it just need a big pinion 19 or 20T

I have also seen a newer one which is waterproof for the same money somewhere

If you are doing EOE regionals there are lots of SCTE's and Durango's so parts should not be a problem

Or maybe your region will run both classes together but have seperate points for 2WD and 4WD