Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 24-11-2014

Default Detc410 advice.

Hi Guys,

Just ordered my first ever TC to use at my local outdoor track and couldn't say no the MB models price for the Detc410 at £149.99! Had my eye on it for a while but couldn't justify the original price of them.

What electrics and tyres would you recommend with this kit? It will be running on an outdoor tarmac track.

Thanks

Matt
Old 24-11-2014

Find out what classes your club runs then decide which is for you, I've run 13.5 boosted for a while but this year have been running 17.5 blinky indoor and actually prefer it, 13.5 blinky is also becoming popular at some clubs as it is used in many countries

Then it's a matter of budget, a lot of local guys use the hobbywing XTREME stock ESC and Speed Passion competition V3 motors, all in with the programming card about £100 gens Ace lipo's are also popular and good value
Old 25-11-2014

Hi Matt,

As beale said, find out what classes your local club runs. For instance, our club runs 13.5T 'Boosted' (ESC timing allowed) and 17.5T 'Blinky' (no ESC timing allowed).

If you only want to do 'Blinky', then you can save quite a lot of money by just getting a Hobbywing Xtreme Stock ESC, or even a Hobbywing Justock ESC. These are both cheap and cheerful ESCs, the Justock in particular is very cheap but still very good.

If you want to do 'Boosted', then the Xtreme Stock ESC is a good starting point, as is the SkyRC Toro TS120A ESC.

Motor choice - I would go for a GM Race if you're racing outdoors, they are far and away the most popular choice at our club - http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...motors/gm.html - these motors have proven themselves to be very durable and reliable. Worth the extra tenner they cost over other motors.

Where are you planning to race, by the way? We're at Cotswold Airport, just outside Cirencester in Gloucestershire.
Old 25-11-2014

Thanks for your replies guys. I will now spend some time on google with "Blinky" and "Boosted" as I'm new to this so don't know what the terms really mean.

Joe I'm based in Bristol so looking to join Mendip RC raceway in January when memberships renew. Ive also got myself a buggy so trying my hand at the off-road track they have there! I didn't realise there was a club at Cirencester. Will have to give it a look as thats not far from me either. Its only a tiny bit further than Weston Super Mare.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by Whoopner; 25-11-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 25-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopner View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. I will now spend some time on google with "Blinky" and "Boosted" as I'm new to this so don't know what the terms really mean.

Joe I'm based in Bristol so looking to join Mendip RC raceway in January when memberships renew. Ive also got myself a buggy so trying my hand at the off-road track they have there! I didn't realise there was a club at Cirencester. Will have to give it a look as thats not far from me either. Its only a tiny bit further than Weston Super Mare.

Thanks

Matt
Boosted and Blinky are very easy to explain.

On a motor you have mechanical timing, i.e. if you rotate the endbell from the '0' position you will advance or retard the timing, this will determine when the pulses from the ESC to the motor happen relative to the magnetic coils in the stator of the motor. As it's a mechanical adjustment, the effect is felt throughout the complete RPM range of the motor.

On the ESC, you can also adjust this timing, only this time the adjustment is done electronically, so there are lots more parameters you can play with. The two main parameters are 'Boost' and 'Turbo'. Boost is an adjustment to the timing that happens from a configurable RPM start point, and then it keeps on adding timing until the amount of timing required to be added has been added. It's a little bit more complicated than that but this serves as a rough description. 'Turbo' is an adjustment to the timing that takes place after a designated amount of time at full throttle, this then adds timing until the amount of timing required has been added. Turbo takes place after Boost, so they have a cumulative effect. Generally you use Boost to setup the motor for acceleration in the infield, and Turbo to get the maximum speed down the straight.

Blinky refers to the rules a class runs to. 'Blinky' rules dictate that the ESC must not add any timing at any point in the RPM range. ESCs that have been programmed to be in this mode will blink an LED to show they are in 'Blinky' mode.

Boosted means that the rules are open, i.e. you are allowed to use Boost and Turbo.

Hope this makes sense

Can I just plug a couple of Facebook groups Matt?

Firstly, we have a Facebook group for our club - this is a great place to get answers from our members (lots of experience!) - click here

Secondly, there's a club very local to you that race on Thursday nights - Bristol Model Car Club - click here - a really great bunch of lads, lots of them come up to our club together and have a great time.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Old 25-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
Boosted and Blinky are very easy to explain.

On a motor you have mechanical timing, i.e. if you rotate the endbell from the '0' position you will advance or retard the timing, this will determine when the pulses from the ESC to the motor happen relative to the magnetic coils in the stator of the motor. As it's a mechanical adjustment, the effect is felt throughout the complete RPM range of the motor.

On the ESC, you can also adjust this timing, only this time the adjustment is done electronically, so there are lots more parameters you can play with. The two main parameters are 'Boost' and 'Turbo'. Boost is an adjustment to the timing that happens from a configurable RPM start point, and then it keeps on adding timing until the amount of timing required to be added has been added. It's a little bit more complicated than that but this serves as a rough description. 'Turbo' is an adjustment to the timing that takes place after a designated amount of time at full throttle, this then adds timing until the amount of timing required has been added. Turbo takes place after Boost, so they have a cumulative effect. Generally you use Boost to setup the motor for acceleration in the infield, and Turbo to get the maximum speed down the straight.

Blinky refers to the rules a class runs to. 'Blinky' rules dictate that the ESC must not add any timing at any point in the RPM range. ESCs that have been programmed to be in this mode will blink an LED to show they are in 'Blinky' mode.

Boosted means that the rules are open, i.e. you are allowed to use Boost and Turbo.

Hope this makes sense

Can I just plug a couple of Facebook groups Matt?

Firstly, we have a Facebook group for our club - this is a great place to get answers from our members (lots of experience!) - click here

Secondly, there's a club very local to you that race on Thursday nights - Bristol Model Car Club - click here - a really great bunch of lads, lots of them come up to our club together and have a great time.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Thanks Joe

Those descriptions helped a lot and id guess at my level i have no need for boost or turbo I'm sure i will crash lots without the need for added speed

Ive added the cotswold group on FB and i had spotted the Bristol model car club before but i like the idea of racing outside more than inside on carpet but i will def take a look at it.

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-12-2014

Thank you MB Models!!!

Nearly finished the build!

Old 13-12-2014

The build looks good. I recommend you consider the alloy steering servo mounts as I found the stock plastic items too soft ans easily stripped. With the alloy bits, you can tighten things properly.
Old 15-12-2014

Car looks great Matt! Keep us up to date on how it's going