Are these worth getting or a waste of money anybody tryed them

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Are these worth getting or a waste of money anybody tryed them
they are brilliant. I've been using them for 6 years now, and we have to drive around on snow and ice for 4 or 5 months a year.
they are also better once the ambient air temp dips below about 5 degrees as they are a different compound.
set of steelies or cheap alloys and some second hand tyres from Germany and you'll be set.
(iirc German winter tyres get binned at 8mm of tread, so still have 2 or 3 winters left in them.)
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

As long as ur tyres have decent tread just drive to the conditions (slower) an u'll b fine, waste of money if u ask me
Old 18-01-2013

Good Quality snow tyres are the dogs Bollocks I'm in South Wales were we had loads of snow iv not Failed to go Anyway
Old 18-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Wizz Kidd View Post
As long as ur tyres have decent tread just drive to the conditions (slower) an u'll b fine, waste of money if u ask me

The above is quiet frankly rubbish, they make a big difference, normally tyres loose all their pliability at 0 degress and snow/winter tyres dont hence far more grip

we use this firm a fair bit as most customers buy the tyres on steel wheels , making it easier to swap over
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Tyres.html
Old 18-01-2013

well worth it imo.both our cars have them on front.mine cost £49 for both,not cheapies,hankook.if i couldnt get to work for 1 day cos of snow i would lose more than that in pay.no brainer.
Old 18-01-2013

They are the dogs bollocks, love the snow in mine.

If you can afford it then 100% do it.
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
The above is quiet frankly rubbish, they make a big difference, normally tyres loose all their pliability at 0 degress and snow/winter tyres dont hence far more grip

we use this firm a fair bit as most customers buy the tyres on steel wheels , making it easier to swap over
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Tyres.html
It's not rubbish as it happens as I used to work in a company that made them an I also used to fit them so I know what I'm talking about an quite frankly it isn't worth the extra cost for the uk for the one week of snow we may get, they were designed for abroad originaly an decided to market them over here a few years back
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

And it's not about pliability all though it does help, it's about the design of the tread on the tyre which helps as its a version of wet tyres but for snow as the tread is designed to push the snow out when the tyre rolls over snow the way a wet tyres pushes out water
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
The above is quiet frankly rubbish, they make a big difference, normally tyres loose all their pliability at 0 degress and snow/winter tyres dont hence far more grip.
the change over for winter compounds offering more grip than summer compounds (on dry tarmac) is somewhere between 5 and 8 degrees above zero. so they offer more grip from about November to Feb (in the UK). so not just when it's a bit snowy.
you can get around with summer tyres, but once you hit ice, or pack the tread with snow, or come to a halt, or have to stop. yer knackered.
Old 18-01-2013

Winter tyres are superb.

I have a rear-wheel-drive automatic and on normal tyres its totally useless in any amount of snow on any gradient.

With the winter tyres on I can get up the steep hill outside my house even when its covered in a few inches of snow.

Another option are snow socks. These do have mega grip, but taking them off when you get to a road that's been cleared is a pain in the ass. Useful to keep in the boot to get you out of trouble though.
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
Winter tyres are superb.

I have a rear-wheel-drive automatic and on normal tyres its totally useless in any amount of snow on any gradient.

With the winter tyres on I can get up the steep hill outside my house even when its covered in a few inches of snow.

Another option are snow socks. These do have mega grip, but taking them off when you get to a road that's been cleared is a pain in the ass. Useful to keep in the boot to get you out of trouble though.

These for the uk are a better idea, for me I live in by main roads so roads are mainly kept upto scratch, in my eyes when the roads get a little icy or snowy u tend not to use the car a lot as of the conditions anyway, perhaps if ur job entails u to be on the road in most condition the yeah maybe but other then thàt drive slower an be careful
Old 19-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

They are excellent, I wouldn't be with out mine.
I run an automatic BMW, plus I drive to the alps once or twice each winter, and have done for many years.
I run these: http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=2...kian%20WR%20A3
which are excellent and recommended.

I run them from mid Nov until end of March, or when it just gets about 7 degC after the cold season, so 4 months or just a bit more.

For me its a no brainer. total grip, breaking ability and traction in the snow and ice. Excellent through the cold wet, and winter months. Just so much better to drive the car with them on, and know that the family is safe and I won't get stuck. I also have snow chains, but haven't had to use them in this country with this car as yet, but they are in the boot. I've used them previously with other (company cars) when i've not had winter tyres though.

I bought a mint second hand set of 16" bmw rims and got the tyres in summer months (cheaper). I'll get 4 winters out of them, certainly 3 on the rears and more than 4 on the fronts, so that's extending the life of the summer tyres as well. I keep them at the back of the garage and swap them out myself.
I'll also recommend mytyres.co.uk, it's where I got mine, delivered direct from Germany.

Anyone who thinks they are "not worth it" is quite frankly a fool. If more/all people had them, this country wouldn't be in such a bloody mess in winter when it's icy and cold. We should have a euro style law where it is mandatory in the winter months.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 19-01-2013

I've got some all season Bridgestone tyres on the front of my golf tdi,
Very happy with them and they have made a lot of difference.

Once the winter is over with I will swap them to the rear to try and get a bit more life out of them
Old 19-01-2013

I have to agree, they make a huge difference, having used them in the US.

As mentioned though, a middle ground is snow socks. Mine have lasted three years so far. Best to avoid motorways with them as I've always stuck below 40 mph with them.

I've not got stuck yet with them on a family saloon. Were great yesterday in the snow on the hills, and left them on for the ice today.

For £50 I'm not sure why everyone doesn't have them?

They are tight on the first fitting, but about 5 mins on or off after that. You do need old gloves though, it is dirty and cold work!

Winter tyres are best definitely, but if not definitely get some socks.
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Agreed, Ive been driving over 20 years and never needed them. Slowing down and adjusting your driving style is alot cheaper
Old 20-01-2013

they are absolutely tremendous! had ours since October and tried them properly for the first time last night. We had a white out with main roads covered but needed to get to a 30th party so ventured out in the wife's newly named snow mobile. tried numerous times to get the car stuck in deep snow/high inclines from standstill at junctions and just couldn't throw it! was quite satisfying passing stuck cars in the car park whilst playing around

the way we looked at it we needed new tyres in October so we bought dunlop winter tyres instead of summers and they worked out the same price as we would have spent anyway so it would have been insane to get anything else. we'll get another set next year for the rear to spread the load. Its all down to affording them really but if your due tyres then why think about it?

your summers wear quicker at temps below 7 deg C and don't perform as well so switching over from Oct-Apr will mean longer lasting tyres

Negative comments are just unhelpful to the reality of how good they are really......
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Agreed, Ive been driving over 20 years and never needed them. Slowing down and adjusting your driving style is alot cheaper
funny that, I've been driving 20 years too (and as a test driver for several), and managed without until about 5 years ago.
I now don't have to worry about black ice, sheet ice, compacted snow, snow or low temperatures.
And summer tyres wear faster in the winter, cos they get brittle. (wrong compound for the conditions you see). So I get about 150000 miles out of 2 sets, instead of 60 thousand out of one.
the only down side is the initial purchase.
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
And it's not about pliability all though it does help, it's about the design of the tread on the tyre which helps as its a version of wet tyres but for snow as the tread is designed to push the snow out when the tyre rolls over snow the way a wet tyres pushes out water

Incorrect

The thousands of tiny grooves are designed to collect snow and ice within them which in turn momentarily bonds with the frozen road surface which is the basis of any snow/winter tyre. this means the cheapest tattiest winter tyre massively out performs any high end summer tyres on snow/ice.

tyre pattern - this is where your dollar makes the difference in winter tyres as this is the same principal as you'd expect on summer tyres because it determines how good the tyre will perform if wet/dry/breaking/road noise and so on. we bought the auto express best buy dunlops as they do most all and were £90 each for anyone pondering cost.
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie. View Post
Incorrect

The thousands of tiny grooves are designed to collect snow and ice within them which in turn momentarily bonds with the frozen road surface which is the basis of any snow/winter tyre. this means the cheapest tattiest winter tyre massively out performs any high end summer tyres on snow/ice.

tyre pattern - this is where your dollar makes the difference in winter tyres as this is the same principal as you'd expect on summer tyres because it determines how good the tyre will perform if wet/dry/breaking/road noise and so on. we bought the auto express best buy dunlops as they do most all and were £90 each for anyone pondering cost.
Shame on u for making me find this lol
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Communi...hey-work-2012/
Take note of the part that say "how winter tyres work"
Interesting