Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

The main problem i've got is the out lay for them im running 19's so the tyres are exspensive i could get some smaller rims and the tyres will be cheaper but it will work out about the same with having to buy wheels aswell

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
funny that, I've been driving 20 years too (and as a test driver for several), and managed without until about 5 years ago.
I now don't have to worry about black ice, sheet ice, compacted snow, snow or low temperatures.
And summer tyres wear faster in the winter, cos they get brittle. (wrong compound for the conditions you see). So I get about 150000 miles out of 2 sets, instead of 60 thousand out of one.
the only down side is the initial purchase.
And this is coming from someone from Sweden who have alot harsher winters than Britain, we have a few days of snow a year and well treated roads so they are not worth it in this country!
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
And this is coming from someone from Sweden who have alot harsher winters than Britain, we have a few days of snow a year and well treated roads so they are not worth it in this country!
My point exactly, if u drive to the road conditions u will b fine an if its really that bad would u b out in it lol
Old 20-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Wizz Kidd View Post
My point exactly, if u drive to the road conditions u will b fine an if its really that bad would u b out in it lol
have you actually driven on some then?
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Wizz Kidd View Post
Shame on u for making me find this lol
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Communi...hey-work-2012/
Take note of the part that say "how winter tyres work"
Interesting

And I have the information here to finally trump you sir, your info is not wrong although very basic and describes as I pointed out the difference a tread pattern makes.

however my correct information is clearly displayed here (point 2)http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/.../winter-tyres/

'''Winter tyres are also designed to gather a snowy 'in-fill' in the tread grooves and in the sipe slits, to help with grip on loose snow. Think about how you create a snowman by rolling a snowball, bigger and bigger, and hopefully it will help you understand that snow clings to snow, so a covering of snow on the tyre actually aids grip''''

For snow/ice grip the science is in the sipes! Ner nerny ner ner!
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

I have yes as I drove my CO in the army about in his plush Audi in Edinburgh for a while because of my experience with them in civvi street but that's a different story but if u drive slower an use ur gears properly to slow u can actually b safe but for the amount it snows over here they're not worth an if ur using them for cold temperature's with no ice an u need more grip to stop skidding then ur obviously driving to fast
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
we've had less snow than most of the UK for 3 of the last 5 years. And fwiw, where I am is almost the proper deep south of Sweden. I'm closer to the south of France than the arctic circle....... btw, we actually have snow ploughs. Most of our roads are cleared quicker and more effectively than you would think.

Maybe if the temperature never got below 5 degrees you'd have a point.
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie. View Post
And I have the information here to finally trump you sir, your info is not wrong although very basic and describes as I pointed out the difference a tread pattern makes.

however my correct information is clearly displayed here (point 2)http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/.../winter-tyres/

'''Winter tyres are also designed to gather a snowy 'in-fill' in the tread grooves and in the sipe slits, to help with grip on loose snow. Think about how you create a snowman by rolling a snowball, bigger and bigger, and hopefully it will help you understand that snow clings to snow, so a covering of snow on the tyre actually aids grip''''

For snow/ice grip the science is in the sipes! Ner nerny ner ner!
Lol

So we're both right then touché my good man
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
we've had less snow than most of the UK for 3 of the last 5 years. And fwiw, where I am is almost the proper deep south of Sweden. I'm closer to the south of France than the arctic circle....... btw, we actually have snow ploughs. Most of our roads are cleared quicker and more effectively than you would think.

Maybe if the temperature never got below 5 degrees you'd have a point.
So your wasting your money then
Old 20-01-2013

how can it be a waste of money when your spending money on tyres anyway? i think your struggling to see outside the box
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
how can it be a waste of money when your spending money on tyres anyway? i think your struggling to see outside the box
Full set of ling longs for my car are about £60. Bet it four times that for winter tyres, so yes a complete waste of money
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

So has anyone on here actually have winter tyres lol
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Full set of ling longs for my car are about £60. Bet it four times that for winter tyres, so yes a complete waste of money
your looking £400 fitted for the winters we have x4 but £60 is just rediculous lol, we'd spend £400 on summers which is mid range on the wifes car. If your spending £60 your not at all bothered about tyres! ling long, is that any relation to long john?
Old 20-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
The main problem i've got is the out lay for them im running 19's so the tyres are exspensive i could get some smaller rims and the tyres will be cheaper but it will work out about the same with having to buy wheels aswell
I'm in the same boat, I still think it'd be best to get a second set of cheapy wheels in the smallest size that'd fit over the brakes. That way you're not fussed about damaging your nice summer wheels with the odd encounter with a curb or messing up the finish by getting them covered in all the salt/crap they get covered in when the weather's really bad.

Also that way you have a set of temporary wheels and tyres to run round on if you send the wheels of to be refurbed ect
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
your looking £400 fitted for the winters we have x4 but £60 is just rediculous lol, we'd spend £400 on summers which is mid range on the wifes car. If your spending £60 your not at all bothered about tyres! ling long, is that any relation to long john?
Tyres are tyres to me mate, they get me to work and the wife to Tescos to do the big shop (even bagged some horse meat). You must be on drugs to spend £400 on rubber.
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

I'd give up if I were you. Apparently the laws of physics don't apply to tyres on proper cars.

And on that note, I'm out
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
I'd give up if I were you. Apparently the laws of physics don't apply to tyres on proper cars.

And on that note, I'm out
Well thats kinda true as my chariot is from your country
Old 20-01-2013

its £200 a corner for the 20" rims on my insignia, thats budget! and on that grimacing note I'm out too!
Old 21-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I'm in the same boat, I still think it'd be best to get a second set of cheapy wheels in the smallest size that'd fit over the brakes. That way you're not fussed about damaging your nice summer wheels with the odd encounter with a curb or messing up the finish by getting them covered in all the salt/crap they get covered in when the weather's really bad.

Also that way you have a set of temporary wheels and tyres to run round on if you send the wheels of to be refurbed ect
That's what I did. I got a set of 16" bmw e90 rims, second hand, but they were mint. I found them on ebay, but called the seller as they were a sales/service garage in Leeds, went to see them and paid £130. He'd taken then as px of a new set of bigger rims and tyres.

You are better with a higher profile winter tyre, rather than super low profile that you'd have on a 19" rim, plus I wouldn't fancy paying for 19" winter tyres, tbh, but I would if I had to. 16" tyres are much cheaper than 19" though.

In europe, you see brand new cars running on black steel wheels in winter. I'm not saying that's what you need to run, but i'd always look at the smallest rims that you can run on the car. Just look at the sizes the base models run. also, there is normally a badge in the door well with tyre sizes and pressures on. That will tell you the size options you have.

Ignorer all the naysayers. They haven't bought them or used them, or are too tight. My families safety is far more important to me than saving a few quid. I'm very happy with mine, and will always have them on any cars we have, for the winter.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 21-01-2013

Quote:
Tyres are tyres to me mate, they get me to work and the wife to Tescos to do the big shop (even bagged some horse meat). You must be on drugs to spend £400 on rubber.
I just spent £500 on an old non turbo Impreza, that gets me around just fine in the winter, It dosent matter if it gets the odd bump and its great fun in the snow! Its on its 2nd year now, BMW for the summer, Impreza for the winter. Problem solved!