Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 12-07-2011

Who's using what diffs in there caster as I'm having a right game with mine, I've shimed them but they still don't mesh right, ( this is with standard caster diffs)
Anyone got any ideas
Cheers
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark6183 View Post
Who's using what diffs in there caster as I'm having a right game with mine, I've shimed them but they still don't mesh right, ( this is with standard caster diffs)
Anyone got any ideas
Cheers
I used B44 when had mine, sell it

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 12-07-2011

I changed to HB gears (D4) and still running first set. I'm running Bfast diffs and Ive changed to HB slipper plate, pads and spur. HB are direct fit, modifications required if you go with team Associated B44 gears (metric v's Imperial).
Hope this helps.
Rgs A

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas
Cheers
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I changed to HB gears (D4) and still running first set. I'm running Bfast diffs and Ive changed to HB slipper plate, pads and spur. HB are direct fit, modifications required if you go with team Associated B44 gears (metric v's Imperial).
Hope this helps.
Rgs A
Nice one fella, I love the car it's just a case of sorting out the teething problems
Old 13-07-2011

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas
Cheers
Hi,

cheap Kyosho ZX5 gears fits nicely in Caster.

But. Caster already have new stronger gear boxes in which will fit new GEAR DIFFS. Yes, correct, gear diffs not ball diffs. So I would suggest just wait few weeks for gear diffs and then give Caster buggy another chance .

www.rc-cars.lt - offroad in Lithuania
www.lasa.lt - onroad in Lithuania
Old 14-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
Hi,

But. Caster already have new stronger gear boxes in which will fit new GEAR DIFFS. Yes, correct, gear diffs not ball diffs. So I would suggest just wait few weeks for gear diffs and then give Caster buggy another chance .
Can you let us know when there out please ??
Old 17-07-2011

Gear Boxes are already out. I am told three-four weeks for gear diffs...

Old 21-07-2011

Where can you buy the gear boxes?

Gear diffs might be a good backup, just found that I had crushed/ground down the pressure plate balls in one of my diffs Have to wait for delivery from Bfast for some real balls...

//Björn
Old 23-07-2011

They should start to appear in online shops.

Caster is about to launch (in two-three months) 1/10 truggy and SCT... They will come with gear diffs as standard.

Old 29-07-2011

Anyone got any good tips on how to get the car to initially turn in a little sharper ?
Old 01-08-2011

Hi,

I think I have finally got a good setup of the ball diffs. This is how I have them now:

Normal outrunners, Bfast copper shim, Bfast ring, Caster Ceramic balls, Steel gear. The screw has been changed to a screw and t-nut from Ass (for the B4, M2.5 instead of M2) and the pressure plate has ceramic balls from Bfast. Grease from Bfast. Nut goes in the longer outrunner together with the sping and it's shims, you might need a few more shims so the nut ends up far enough out.

Really smooth diff, and it almost feels like the nut is broken when you turn the wheels opposit each other, you can have it so loose without slipping.

Note that I had to enlarge the hole in the outrunners slightly to accept the M2.5 screw. I also had to enlarge two of the shims for the same reason, can't remember if it was for the preassure plate or spring. Bfast shims for the preasure plate worked fine though without enlarging. To enlarge the hole you need a diamond tool or something like that since the outrunners are hardened, I found a narrow tipped tool from an engraving set I had.

Normal run in of the diffs and now I have put two packs through them without the need to tighten them.

Really fun to drive around on my grass/dirt track with slicks now (normal tires worn down).
Old 23-08-2011

Just in case I am missing something, how the hell do you fit the RTR parts into the Pro kit?

The ESC if put on the side is too high for the lid, if it does get pushed down, it completely blocks the fan.

I'm ultimately sticking the electrics in the touring car but would at least like to try the pro car as my ESC in the post is the same size.

Any pictures of how you guys have set up the electronics?
Old 01-09-2011

Finally Gear Diffs are available for this buggy! Also new gear boxes with better shock tower supports and new better shock towers! Also shortly will be available shock tower support brace.

SK0P051 Diff Set +16T Diff Pinion Gear (1pc)

SKOP057 Gear Case For Gear Diff Set

SKOP055 Rear Shock Tower 7075

SKOP056 Front Shock Tower 7075

SKOP059 Shock Tower Support

Also there is conversion set with better price

SKOP058 1/10 Gear Diff Conversion Set

2pcs make 1 car set.

Old 03-09-2011

he's one for you !!!!!!! my caster has been running great the last 5-6 weeks then today my rear bevel gear melts !!! ive put a kyosho zx5 one on as its alot better quality, i just wonder if you guys know what melts a bevel gear ?????

cheers chaps
Old 21-05-2013

Just curious to know if anyone is still running one of these, saw a "B" version up for grabs on e-bay, cab forward body, wondered if the teething problems where now sorted. It is a nice looking car and is certainly a little different so could be tempted.
Old 22-05-2013

Still running mine, but with lots of mods. The car is almost a version 3 minus big bores and the new CVD's. Love the car and it is very competitive. This is the second year competing in the regional series. Have also made a 2wd version that I ran at the first round of the oople series (Jimmy has loads of pics) and running in tis years 2wd regionals.

I love having a car that is different,and from my engineering background, I enjoy making it even better.
Sworkz UK Team driver
Orca
Old 22-05-2013

Excellent, so spares are not a problem then, and the diff probs have been ironed out? As I said, very tempted by one of these. Out of curiosity what surface do you race on, my local club runs on grass and it has all the usual suspects as 4wd competition, Durango, Schumacher, Associated etc, if I get one and get it dialled in is there any reason to think I shouldn't be able to cling on to the coat tails of those guys?
Old 23-05-2013

Hi Chrissy boy,

The diff issue has been sorted, if you want to use a ball diff, then caster do a metal crown and pinion set (some people say these are not available now). Alternatively I run the gear diffs in my 4wd, with a starting point 7000wt front and 3000wt rear for astro. For carpet/slippy (Maritime race way) 3000wt front 2000wt rear. In my 2wd version (Raster), I have been running gear diff with 5000wt. I'm going to try a ball diff for this weekend at my local track (Surrey/Hants) and maybe at next weeks 2wd regional at DMS. Pete and Carl at Answer Rc can help with spares as they are the sole importers and are extremley helpful and friendly. As for being a competitive car against other brands out there, it can and does hold its own. I quite often have good battles with fellow racer who at the start say 'you still running that thing'. Then I finish higher than them, but I never rub their noses in it. If you decide to choose this car, PM me your email address and I'll gladly send you setup sheets and offer any help I can.

Paul
Sworkz UK Team driver
Orca
Old 27-07-2013

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegeboy View Post
Hi Chrissy boy,

The diff issue has been sorted, if you want to use a ball diff, then caster do a metal crown and pinion set (some people say these are not available now). Alternatively I run the gear diffs in my 4wd, with a starting point 7000wt front and 3000wt rear for astro. For carpet/slippy (Maritime race way) 3000wt front 2000wt rear. In my 2wd version (Raster), I have been running gear diff with 5000wt. I'm going to try a ball diff for this weekend at my local track (Surrey/Hants) and maybe at next weeks 2wd regional at DMS. Pete and Carl at Answer Rc can help with spares as they are the sole importers and are extremley helpful and friendly. As for being a competitive car against other brands out there, it can and does hold its own. I quite often have good battles with fellow racer who at the start say 'you still running that thing'. Then I finish higher than them, but I never rub their noses in it. If you decide to choose this car, PM me your email address and I'll gladly send you setup sheets and offer any help I can.

Paul
Have you got parts number for the metal crown/pinion set for the ball diff? My son has the RTR version (ball diffs) and ran into a car tyre pretty fast. He broke the front upper and lower gear box and the front gear mount. Went to order the SK055 gear box case but couldn't see it listed on http://www.casterracingparts.com/ or anywhere else. SKOP057 is the case listed for the gear diff and pretty much looks identical so ordered it to try out. Everything fits it but the mesh between the bevel gear and diff gear is to tight.
Old 27-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyNitro View Post
I used B44 when had mine, sell it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Hope this helps.
Rgs A
Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
Hi,

Are you only replacing the whole diff or just the ring gears?