Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 12-01-2014

Default Shock spring rate etc?

I'm about to start driving on some very unforgiving terrain...almost bashing style of stuff.

The track is dirt, loose at times with some huge gravel mixed in. It has some large air sections and a lot of real rough stuff.

What would be the suggestions for shock springs and oil for a DEX210?

I had thought of going thick-ish oil with middle of the road springs... 48gf rears and 41gf fronts combined with maybe 550 CPS shock oil. BTW.. note to shock oil manufactures.. can we all use the same metrics please.. it confuses small brain mammals such as myself.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

K

ANVIL-GFX
Old 12-01-2014
Mad Member

Ah cool! Driving on dirt is awesome.

I drove my car inside a riding school today - on a temporary track. I took someone's setup as a basis for my own - since it was the first time driving it on loose dirt - and with a few adjustments I got it to work pretty well in MM4.

Would you be interested to see the data on a setup sheet (+some details on mods I did)?

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 13-01-2014

I'd love to see the set up sheet yeah

Thanks

ANVIL-GFX
Old 13-01-2014
Mad Member

Here you go Some details about the car+setup:

- The increased rear droop is achieved by filing off part of the droop screw stoppers on the chassis, or cutting them off alltogether (Picture 1, Picture 2).
- My chassis/electronics layout uses a shorty in the back with the ESC in front of it (Picture 1, Picture 2).
- Tire-wise, tread is more important than compound on truly loose dirt... Hence why I can get away with running somewhat different brands/compounds between front and rear.
- For rear tires, I used dBoots Multibytes this time around. In the past, I also used Losi Step Pin tires with great results, and Tamiya's 'Spire Spike' tires may do well too. Some people use Schumacher Full spikes, but they tend to create so much forward traction you get on-power understeer, and the huge spikes tend to make the car oversteer off-power.
- For front tires, I used Tamiya Super Hornet Front Tires (Picture 1). I haven't tried other tires yet, but you need something that's not too agressive, yet digs in a bit: A mild form of spikes or deep ribs - I haven't tried it yet, but cut staggers might work too.

The car as described in the setup sheet for me is a nice start. The car was easy to drive, it remained nicely flat and stable over the big holes and bumps and I could turn it sideways under braking at the end of the straight without losing control. I think the mid-motor layout plays a big role in this balanced feel: No overhanging motor to bottom out on the bumps, and the neutral weight balance that listens better to steering input and less to the direction that the majority of the mass is heading into A mid-motor needs more corrections to keep it going in the right direction - a rear motor is less sensitive to the smaller bumps, but once a bump sends the car in the wrong way it's near impossible to correct.

The amount of steering was good. At low speeds it seems to have a slightly bigger turning radius than other cars though I'm not clearly seeing understeer. The rear end has decent grip (forwards and sideways), but I drove the TLR 22 2.0 from a team driver after the race, and that clearly had more sideways rear bite.

I think a combination of Losi Step Pins and Low Roll Center (LRC) will do a lot, and a longer wheelbase could make the car more forgiving (making it easier to correct and enabling you to run a more agressive front end).

And then finally, some footage of what the track/surface is like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmnhCGRand4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajuFARwBgyA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the suspension setup is relevant for a rough, bumpy surface. However, as you might be able to see in the videos, the surface is really loose too: The dirt is not really compacted and therefore the tires dig into the ground. There are no pebbles rocks or gravel: It's all sand and dirt that sticks together a bit in most places on the track because it's moist.

As long as the surface is this loose, the tires we use should do well. However, the surface you described sounds more compacted and much rougher (with pebbles and rocks in it). I only have 1 1/2 years of racing experience and haven't encountered exactly the surface you described before. However, as far as my knowledge goes, on the driven wheels you'll require a low tire tread like a normal dirt/clay tire (because the tire is not meant to dig into the soil), but pretty rough and blocky so it doesn't wear too quickly. Up front I think a simple rib-tread would be the way to go.

I hope someone with more experience can comment on the tire-matter further?

Old 13-01-2014

Thanks man, really appreciate all that.. gonna go study it now

Thanks a lot. That track in the vids is crazy hehe

Oh..and this is the track I'll be racing on..it's a bit different now as it has a couple of hump sections and a longer main straight but you get the idea

Malta Track

Just found a new vid of the track from last week.. from a quad copter!

Malta Track from the air

K

ANVIL-GFX
Old 14-01-2014
Mad Member

That looks like a cool track, though also more suited to 1/8 than 1/10

Going by what I can see on the video the track is quite compacted and can become quite dusty, rather than loose. Am I correct?

I think this track needs a different setup than I posted above, something closer to a clay setup. The main differences I'm sure the setup needs (compared to what I posted before) are:
- Harder springs (I would try the combination light blue/dark blue first, as supplied in the kit)
- A lower (21 to 23mm) ground clearance, and the same front and rear.
- The rear hubs need to be pushed completely forward (short wheelbase/more weight on the rear)
- The front shocks need to be mounted on the inside hole of the suspension arms.

Tire-wise I so far only used ProLine Calibers (M4) on the rear (control tire here in the Netherlands for national events), and 4-Ribs (M3) on the front, so I can't really comment there what works best for me. I would try to contact the people who run on the track regularly and ask what tires they would recommend. I'm pretty sure it won't be something as spiky as I used last weekend

Old 14-01-2014

Thanks.. yeah it gets dusty, and it is primary an 8th track. They never use spikes as it rips up the surface to much so I was thinking of something like Bow Ties .. or as Bow Ties might be discontinued Calibers as you suggested

Thanks for the tips.

K

ANVIL-GFX