Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 22-12-2012

Default 2wd or 4wd ???

Hi I don't know want to do go 2wd or 4wd 1/10 scale I have Durango 210 I have done allright with some people say l would better off with 4wd but I don't know want to do spend money on one and I can't get on with it so I would like some help what do you think????
Old 22-12-2012
oOple Advertiser

Stick with what you've got and practice, practice, practice ;-)

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 22-12-2012

Default 2wd or4wd

Only problem where I live is no where to practice so all practice is done on the race track!! It takes a couple off races to get going my last race was in October and don't race to April !!!
Old 23-12-2012

Still need to practice with 4WD unfortunately! It is basically easier to drive I think but everyone you are racing against will have the same advantage, skills count no matter what class you drive.

Do you have a back garden with some grass? Try setting up a track with hosepipe or tennis balls for lanes and corners. Set a time try to beat it etc etc
Old 23-12-2012

I cut my teeth with 4WD when I started, but then moved to 2WD. The 2WD massively improved my driving skills plus there was more guys running 2WD, meaning a wider skill level and plenty of races.

I would stick with your 210 and just keep practicing. Try keeping the same setup rather than always tweaking it so you can concentrate on driving
Old 23-12-2012

The best way for you to improve is to practise like already mentioned.

You would be better attending more race meetings/ club nights than investing into a new car which from the sounds of it would just sit there.

The Durango 210 is an excellent car and the best way to improve is to stick with one car and learn to drive it and set it up properly.

Happy racing

Old 23-12-2012

just to put my two pennies worth in , a 2wd is on the whole cheaper to run i.e 1 set of drive shafts -1 diff- no belts etc so i would personally stick to 2wd they are slightly harder to drive but more fun in my eyes and defo the most supported class . durangos are a popular car so most of the time someone can help you out with set-ups etc
Old 23-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3672 View Post
Only problem where I live is no where to practice so all practice is done on the race track!! It takes a couple off races to get going my last race was in October and don't race to April !!!
As you live in somerset there are plenty of race meetings going on indoor and out so you could race at least once a week plenty of practice
Old 23-12-2012

I would stick with what you have and not worry to much. Improvements will come, try not to mess around with set up too much. Don't worry about how many people are going faster than you. The more you race the better you will get. When i started I used to pit with 2 other guys, one was a little faster and one was at least 2 laps faster. Over time I got closer then quicker than the guy who was a little quicker than me and after a few years i can now match pace with the guy who was laps faster. Time and experiance will win it!

X4TE
X2C
Old 23-12-2012

Personally, i enjoy 4wd more, the way you can push the car into drifts and of course the speed. I'd always recommend 2wd to a complete novice, mostly due to them being cheaper, needing less expensive electronics and being easier to maintain. As for learning to drive... yes and no, to be competitive in any class you need to learn to drive.
Old 23-12-2012

If u can get to race meetings indoors it will help ur driving develop as its a constant surface so u can concentrate on lines, breaking and racing without having to worry about suspension setups etc.. I did alot of my early racing in the 90's with a 2wd buggy with a stock motor (27 turn brushed) on flat carpet tracks. This developed my skill in driving and the art of gearing correctly which is one of the most important aspects of car setup.
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

I'd say 2wd is easier simply because to me they feel more like a real car

Slow down they tuck in - accelerate they go wide

To me 4wd feels nothing like a real car
Old 23-12-2012

Default 2wd or 4wd

Thanks for the advice guys I think I will stay with the 210 and try couple indoors meeting this will 2nd season coming up as someone said I pit two guys they laps me easy it just get to me !!! One more bit off advice what best turn motor I run 9turn motor most guys at my club run 6.5t-8.5 turn motors would I better off staying with my 9turn????
Old 23-12-2012
oOple Advertiser

Simple answer, yes ;-)

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 23-12-2012

Defo stick with the 9t motor for the time being. As you get better you can change the pinion/spur to get more speed or punch, or even add boost to your ESC (if you can) and then finally invest in a new punchier motor.
Old 23-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I got faster when I ditched the 5.5 and 6.5's and went to 10.5 instead. More power is a hindrance if you can't control it.

As for what class to go for - that depends on the club and whats popular. Generally 2wd is more popular and many clubs will get 3-4 heats of 2wds to 1 heat of 4wds. That tends to mean that the racing is closer in 2wd which is better for learning.
Other clubs just lump all the buggy's together. If thats the case, a 4wd is a major bonus because they do lap faster.

In terms of driving experience I'd say its a tie on a high grip track - I've driven 2wds I've loved and 2wd's I haven't, and that same for 4wds. A good 4wd is more fun than a rubbish 2wd and vice versa. On a slippery track its a matter of personal preference - some like the control that 4wds retain, others enjoy the challenge that 2wds become....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)