Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals

View Poll Results: lipo list
keep the rules as current efra/eb 18 12.00%
allow some discression have a 1 or 2mm tolerance to cover comercially available cells 93 62.00%
i would consider not doing a BRCA sanctioned meeting if i could not do lipo 68 45.33%
i will race brca sanctioned events no matter what 36 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher
Default lipo saddle packs, a poll to show feelings

PLEASE note you have 2 votes so use one for poll one and two, your second vote for poll 3 and 4
once you have cast your vote (even only choosing one) you will be locked out

hi
after attending the NE winter regional meeting i thought id post this, as there seems talk of many regions dropping the BRCA from regionals. and id like to know what other racers think.

while i understand that we shoud have a form of restriction i feel that a rule may be in place to restrict the growth/ fairness in off road. the mah has raised from 5000 to 5500 the size for saddle packs was kept the same as stick dimensions, trackpowers packs (for example) are 1mm over size if the ends of the heat shrink are removed they give no unfair advantage over current nimh and fit most cars.
So please pick the poll which you feel would be in the best interest of the hobby.

if you would like to explain your reason do so below, please keep this sensible, i dont want any EB or BRCA bashing just a sensible debate to see what racers feelings are

thanks

mark
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
allow some discression have a 1 or 2mm tolerance to cover comercially available cells
should be allowed for say 2 or 3 years until the current LiPo's in use that are oversize are no longer race worthy for BRCA events and new LiPo's will be in place to meet the specs.
Old 10-11-2008
Lee-Mag

You really cant have "tolerances" because the manufacturers will just increase the size of the cells to the max, it has been done before and will be done again all in search for a bit more performance.

Whether lipo is allowed at an event or not, i would still attend, it makes no difference to me, rules are rules, you can still have a good time without lipo.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

I have read the post a couple of times now, and I think I know what you are trying to say.

I would ask the following questions though:-

which of the "many" regions are considering "dropping the BRCA" from the regionals, and what is the point or even meaning of doing that?

Are your concerns over the size of Lipo's based purely upon the fact that it is trakpower cells (given your apparent affiliation to trakpower) that are now deemed too big, or would you be asking the same question if, for example, trakpower cells were allowed and team orion (or any other) cells were illegal?

I personally chose not to run regionals at all last year as I could not run Lipo, and as all my cells are now Lipo, and within the tolerances, there should be no event that I can't race at anymore. Well after April next year anyway.
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgie View Post
I have read the post a couple of times now, and I think I know what you are trying to say.

I would ask the following questions though:-

which of the "many" regions are considering "dropping the BRCA" from the regionals, and what is the point or even meaning of doing that?

Are your concerns over the size of Lipo's based purely upon the fact that it is trakpower cells (given your apparent affiliation to trakpower) that are now deemed too big, or would you be asking the same question if, for example, trakpower cells were allowed and team orion (or any other) cells were illegal?

I personally chose not to run regionals at all last year as I could not run Lipo, and as all my cells are now Lipo, and within the tolerances, there should be no event that I can't race at anymore. Well after April next year anyway.
NE have dropped the BRCA from thier regionals winter serries, reason for that is thay can then choose not to follow full BRCA rules and allow lipo, had it been brca there would have been no lipo, and i dare say looking in the pits 50% were running lipo. i have only heard of other regions looking at doing this but, it should not really be happpening..............there obviously doing it to keep racers happy and numbers up.

yes hands up, i have made this poll because of trakpowers situation, however had it been another brand, and been posted by that brands supporter my vote would still be the same.
Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

That's fair enough then.

But if the regions "drop" the BRCA for the regionals, what is the situation regarding insurance for the events? Are they still covered through BRCA Affiliation?
Old 10-11-2008
Super Moderator

In the NE the clubs are effectively each running a large one off meeting, that we just so happen to be stringing together as a series

Any meeting that a BRCA affiliated club holds is totally covered.

G
Old 10-11-2008

I don't think they are dropping the BRCA. They may be dropping the BRCA's rules as a guide for their series. (I wait to be corrected)

As far as dropping the BRCA, a region would not participate in a BRCA sanctioned event, ie BRCA regionals.

The East of England, a struggling region is seriously considering this. The EoE regional AGM, in the next couple of weeks, should be very interesting.
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You really cant have "tolerances" because the manufacturers will just increase the size of the cells to the max, it has been done before and will be done again all in search for a bit more performance.

Whether lipo is allowed at an event or not, i would still attend, it makes no difference to me, rules are rules, you can still have a good time without lipo.
Totally agree with Lee on this one.

I must admit I can't understand anyone that wouldn't want to race because of a ruling.
Personally never had anyproblems with NiMh, mine are over a season old and OK, getting a little tired now but during the slippery conditions of the winter its probably best. Also I only recall seeing a couple of packs go POP!
I believe someone mentioned, (in another thread!) that you could not use a pack of NiMh repeatedly throughout a days racing. At this years Euro's I know a number of Team GB guys that was using one pack that had been modified for 5cell. Not just for one day but 3.
Whether it is NiMh, or LiPo make your choice and have some fun!

Schumacher Racing - Team Tekin - Spektrum - Inside Line Racing - TrishBits
Old 10-11-2008

Default My Reasons

Having done touring cars for years, and last year lipos were allowed I no longer have any usefull nims. All my batteries are now lipo and I don't want to take a step backwards and buy nims again (I wait to get slated for this remark!) to allow me to do the regionals next year which I am seriously thinking about? All my lipos are still in excellent condition.
Theres my thoughts anyway!

Alan
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
Also I only recall seeing a couple of packs go POP!
That's cool if it's only a couple, we'll just wait till the majority are going 'pop' till we see it as a problem.

PS, maybe the BRCA should also be 'reccomending' that NiMh's are charged in some kind of safe pouch, as they are the cells that seem to be causing the most problems.
Old 10-11-2008

oops, double post
Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
I must admit I can't understand anyone that wouldn't want to race because of a ruling.
I don't even own a charger that can charge NIMHs anymore and have used only lipo's for quite a while now. I only do open one day meetings that allow them. If I could run my car as is with lipo I would actually start doing BRCA sanctioned events.

I fully support the BRCA allowing a small margin of error to allow for Trakpower and other saddle bricks. The more stuff you allow the simpler it is for people to take part and for the sport to be supported.
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcRob View Post
That's cool if it's only a couple, we'll just wait till the majority are going 'pop' till we see it as a problem.

PS, maybe the BRCA should also be 'reccomending' that NiMh's are charged in some kind of safe pouch, as they are the cells that seem to be causing the most problems.
I agree 1 pack is enough, don't get me wrong, but does beg the question what conditions were these cells being charged at? If, (and I am not saying this is the case) soemone is charging at 8.0A they are probably pushing the boundries a little. Rules aren't there to replace common sense??

Also I am all for LiPo's.. Great to see the hobby moving forward.
One thing that does concern me, is until the units are fully compatible with the chassis Joe Blogg on the street, won't want to be getting his dremel out on Boxing day so his son car run his new car!

Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

If Joe Bloggs is anything like me he needs very little excuse to use the Dremel
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
If Joe Bloggs is anything like me he needs very little excuse to use the Dremel
fair play.. I like them so much I brought a mains one and battery powered one for when I am out and about!

Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
I agree 1 pack is enough, don't get me wrong, but does beg the question what conditions were these cells being charged at? If, (and I am not saying this is the case) soemone is charging at 8.0A they are probably pushing the boundries a little. Rules aren't there to replace common sense??

Also I am all for LiPo's.. Great to see the hobby moving forward.
One thing that does concern me, is until the units are fully compatible with the chassis Joe Blogg on the street, won't want to be getting his dremel out on Boxing day so his son car run his new car!

how good shops would sell a car and incompatable cells?

how many joe bloggs do actually fit none standard parts?

how many joe bloggs would race at brca meetings let alone be a member?

joe bloggs on the street can fit an 11 volt pack, as he aint bothered what rules are
Old 10-11-2008

cheers for the responce guys, keep it up!
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh View Post
I don't think they are dropping the BRCA. They may be dropping the BRCA's rules as a guide for their series. (I wait to be corrected)

As far as dropping the BRCA, a region would not participate in a BRCA sanctioned event, ie BRCA regionals.

The East of England, a struggling region is seriously considering this. The EoE regional AGM, in the next couple of weeks, should be very interesting.
yup there only dropping the brca title, its then not a brca sanctioned event, brca insurance etc is still there, just then rules can be used as that club/series feel fit
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Did the '4200' generation of cells fit into cars without some minor work? I don't think they did, but nobody cared.

What do you think would be harder for Joe Bloggs, soldering up 6x cells in saddle formation (which requires a soldering iron, battery jig, battery bars, etc) or installing some extended battery posts when he builds the car.

I know which I'd rather be doing...