Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > NEAM Seaham Sunderland

Old 03-06-2010

Send a message via MSN to baD Send a message via Skype™ to baD
Default The Responsibilities of being a Member

I would like to start a discussion thread here - one that will stay impersonal hopefully.

What are the responsibilities of a Club Member?

I find myself siding with DP in the matter of members helping/not helping at club events. I do not condone the tone of the posts but I support his message.

Members get a club at which to practice/race almost every week and in the near future may be able to race every day.
But what do they have to do for this? Pay a few quid here and there? Yes, pay your dues and help with all/any labours needed to ensure the club survives.

My personal view is to write this into the club membership agreement, or make it optional. i.e. a buy out clause to allow members out of the requirement to help out physically. Perhaps a £500 buy out per year?

Am I being serious, who knows, but the fact is I have over the years seen scores of parents and drivers give lip service to the idea of helping out and that's about the lot. They don't change because of the wonderful willing helpers who do the graft year in year out, and they pay the same race day and membership fees as the other lazy b*$t***s.

And I have to say this - the excuse that 'nobody ask me to help' is just total bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and can read, knows how much work is involved in Regionals and any other competition.

So - would anyone like to contribute suggestions to amendments of the constitution of JORCR?
Old 03-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You are right!!! Countless hours go into preparing a track and the running of the meetings.
It's the EPR National this weekend and I would guesstimate that some 2000 man hours have gone into preparing the track, it may not look like that much time was spent, but believe it has!!!
I myself am taking another day off work, self employed so I won't get paid, to go to the track and finish the painting!!!
I think a way forward may be to make it mandatory that everyone puts in time at the track doing maintainence, or I do like the idea of a buy out clause!!!
Remember without these people that freely give up their time, we would all be bashing round a carpark.
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

I think discussing this on a internet forum is the best way of discouraging future members from joining that club involved. Maybe its somthing to discuss when the club has a AGM or a monthly meeting????????

Its a shame the comments mentioned by one particular member in a post in the NE section has brought this about. In this particular case I would of suggested having a quick 5-10 mins chat to all members before the club is ran in the up comming weeks/month to gauge how many people can help, inform people of how much work is accually needed to run the event in stead of assuming that everyone knows what time to turn up and what is needed to be done. In this particular event people where asked to turn up 2 days before the event.

Maybe better preperation is needed to get more people to help...................

What i do find shocking is wrighting this on a public forum, when this club is trying to attract more members to a potentially region beating New Venue.

SHAME!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Speaking personally, I try to help out when I can, but there are times when I cant. Lets look at NE regionals in Shields, I try to do as much as possible, and have done for years.

However, on the Friday prior to the event, which I usually take off work, I could not do this year, as I had a presentation to do at work.

I am grateful for those that grafted on Friday, and Im sure they understand that sometimes, its not possible for me to work on the track.

For those who dont help out, Im sure its more of a communication issue, than them not being aware what is required of them as members.

Work partys need to be communicated to, and expectations made clear. Our regional meeting was not mentioned once in a club announcement.... I have had success in previous years by drafting a newsletter prior to a regional, and handing it out at club meetings.
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Just thinking, I didnt there was a lack of help at all over the weekend ? Am I wrong?
Old 03-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

After racing for more years than I care to remember, clubs have always had their helpers and the people who just turn up, race, go home, and no matter what you try to do to those who don't help, it won't change.

What I do believe in, those that help at the club should be rewarded in some way from the club, whether that is reduced race fee's or membership fee's.
Old 03-06-2010

DCM makes the points much more succinctly & clearly than I ever could.

Over the last 30yrs I do not think there is one 'helper' I have ever met who has not joined in with the moans about the 'non-helpers'. That's human nature. It is not a NE thing, and it's not a JORCR thing, it's a club thing. It centres on what we consider fair or unfair, what's right or wrong.

As for discussing in public, what's the probllem? Every club has this same issue (are there any in the UK with more than enough helpers?) and a club, JORCR or any other club, needs willing active members/helpers, not hanger-on's.
Why does a club fade away or cease? It is not that racers disappear, it is through lack of activity to manage, advertise & promote the club, all of which need manpower input. When there is little of that input, those that do, eventually become disheartened and join those that don't.

DCM said so rightly that the 'helpers' need a reward and I personally agree.
Old 03-06-2010

I just think, in life, those who give voluntarily should be rewarded rather than the non-doers be punished. And in life there are always the selfless, selfish and the blind.
Old 03-06-2010

Mr Green, I did ask for your help once and the pathetic tone I got was "your the organiser you do it".

Other people were quick to criticize when things weren't going quite as they should and decided to take the p!@s instead of help.

I will be doing what's expected from now on, nothing more and nothing less.

Well
Old 03-06-2010

When i go to race i set up my gear, sit on my arse and let all the others put the track up. And just before my final i pack most of my stuff away so i can get off to a flyer, sometimes i cant even be arsed to marshall the next final.
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
Mr Green, I did ask for your help once and the pathetic tone I got was "your the organiser you do it".

Other people were quick to criticize when things weren't going quite as they should and decided to take the p!@s instead of help.

I will be doing what's expected from now on, nothing more and nothing less.

Well
David, i took a half day off to help out this regional, same as the following few years. If your the organiser i fully believe you take FULL responsibility for sorting out the whole event, why didnt you ask me to do anything on the day??????? i believe you shouted at people and that is why you got the responce you did. I said from the start i couldnt help out sunday afternoon as i had places to be.

You should be gratefull of what the help you did have. From now on you will have no help from me.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from delmonte View Post
When i go to race i set up my gear, sit on my arse and let all the others put the track up. And just before my final i pack most of my stuff away so i can get off to a flyer, sometimes i cant even be arsed to marshall the next final.
and I bet you also practice in the mirror that shocked, stunned and 'hurt' look in case someone has the audacity to ask you to lend a hand !

wish I had a pound for every time I have seen that look, some are really good at it
Old 03-06-2010

Can we keep it impersonal please? I don't want to be accused of stirring things up (again )
Let's have good honest input suggestions or good honest humourous sarcasm, but please, do make sure the sarcasm cannot be mistaken for a sideswipe at someone
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

i can't understand why we should reward the people that help out.
i'v been racing for a long time as most of you know, and i have done my fair share of work over the years, but i have never once asked or expected anything in return, but a club to race at.
it doesn't matter what we say or do we will always have people who just won't do anything, and believe it's there god given right to just turn up race, and go home while the rest of us are left to do the work.

the only thing i could say about these people is have some self respect, and get off your backsides, and do something, people will think more of you if you show an example.
just remember we all enjoy racing, but if we don't put the effort in to encourage new members none of us will be racing, and know body is going to come to a club were we have a handful of people who think there to good to put a bit of effort in.

as i work away from home i can't help at every meeting, but when i'm home i'll always do my best for the club.
the people that can't be bothered arn't important so let's concentrate on the club not the few that are no good to the club.

few i enjoyed that
Old 03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
i can't understand why we should reward the people that help out.
i'v been racing for a long time as most of you know, and i have done my fair share of work over the years, but i have never once asked or expected anything in return, but a club to race at.
it doesn't matter what we say or do we will always have people who just won't do anything, and believe it's there god given right to just turn up race, and go home while the rest of us are left to do the work.

the only thing i could say about these people is have some self respect, and get off your backsides, and do something, people will think more of you if you show an example.
just remember we all enjoy racing, but if we don't put the effort in to encourage new members none of us will be racing, and know body is going to come to a club were we have a handful of people who think there to good to put a bit of effort in.

as i work away from home i can't help at every meeting, but when i'm home i'll always do my best for the club.
the people that can't be bothered arn't important so let's concentrate on the club not the few that are no good to the club.

few i enjoyed that
Spot on, I bet you any money it'll be the same faces moving the gear to the new venue once the rates are sorted though.

The sooner we are out of Seaham the better it'll be as we can all be shirkers after that.
Old 03-06-2010

Quote:

The sooner we are out of Seaham the better it'll be as we can all be shirkers after that.
even with a permanent venue it'll be the same old, same old changing the track layout and tiding up the place. Been there done that with 'The Warehouse'
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baD View Post
I would like to start a discussion thread here - one that will stay impersonal hopefully.

I find myself siding with DP in the matter of members helping/not helping at club events. I do not condone the tone of the posts but I support his message.

Members get a club at which to practice/race almost every week and in the near future may be able to race every day.
But what do they have to do for this? Pay a few quid here and there? Yes, pay your dues and help with all/any labours needed to ensure the club survives.

My personal view is to write this into the club membership agreement, or make it optional. i.e. a buy out clause to allow members out of the requirement to help out physically. Perhaps a £500 buy out per year?

Am I being serious, who knows, but the fact is I have over the years seen scores of parents and drivers give lip service to the idea of helping out and that's about the lot. They don't change because of the wonderful willing helpers who do the graft year in year out, and they pay the same race day and membership fees as the other lazy b*$t***s.

And I have to say this - the excuse that 'nobody ask me to help' is just total bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and can read, knows how much work is involved in Regionals and any other competition.

So - would anyone like to contribute suggestions to amendments of the constitution of JORCR?
I would like to take this thread right back to the first post.

The only answer is, Who knows?

Who can honestly say when they joined a club someone gave then a sheet of paper or verbally explained to them what being a club member involves?

At my place of work we have had alot of new starters recently and they all get several different levels of inductions.

They get an induction from Security, personnel, Their Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and then finally their Team Leader.

They are given a rule book outlining the companies terms and conditions.

Now I know this is extreme for a buggy club but imagine If you started a new job, did not get an induction or shown any terms and conditions, then got sacked a week later for leaving work early without packing your tools away????

You'd be straight down to a no win no fee solicitor to get your claim in.

My point again is:

How can anybody complain about club members not pulling their weight when the members have not recieved any information about whats expected of them as a member???
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ELA View Post
I would like to take this thread right back to the first post.

The only answer is, Who knows?

Who can honestly say when they joined a club someone gave then a sheet of paper or verbally explained to them what being a club member involves?

At my place of work we have had alot of new starters recently and they all get several different levels of inductions.

They get an induction from Security, personnel, Their Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and then finally their Team Leader.

They are given a rule book outlining the companies terms and conditions.

Now I know this is extreme for a buggy club but imagine If you started a new job, did not get an induction or shown any terms and conditions, then got sacked a week later for leaving work early without packing your tools away????

You'd be straight down to a no win no fee solicitor to get your claim in.

My point again is:

How can anybody complain about club members not pulling their weight when the members have not recieved any information about whats expected of them as a member???
sorry neil but that is a very poor excuse for not pulling your weight pal
Old 03-06-2010

To take up a few points

How do people know what is expected? - They know they are not paying someone to put the track out etc for them, new members are told people are needed to put the track out and away if they don't already know (I make sure of it!) they know it's all ran entirely by unpaid volunteers, they all know if many hands make light work - I don't know of any similar organisation where people don't just ALL pull together and help....unlike in RC racing as it's not just JORCR where this happens (I help run several activity groups and everyone regardless of disability mucks in!) FFS some people who don't even race help out! I don't think we have had any new members who have not helped either before or after a club night, taking into consideration those with children. If people have a genuine reason to not help noone minds. Maybe it should be put on the signed membership forms but really, do people need to do that? Surely common sense should kick in

The Warehouse - not a hope in hell springs to mind at present for the following reasons
  • CASC refused (which you know)
  • Discretionary relief refused (today)
  • MOST IMPORTANT - Not enough people volunteered so far. People have been asked, have been emailed, very few offers and definately not enough to run it - unless this changes not a chance it can open
I've been trying to get the CASC decision changed and there is an alternative plan but without enough people to run it there is no point. A building doesn't become a brilliant RC racing arena unless someone opens the door and holds the racing. If someone who was willing to offer to run regular meetings did not get the email please do let me know and I will send it again. Thanks to the VERY few who did offer.

Agreed requests for help came in too late at the most recent regional, nothing much can change what has happened, people can only learn from mistakes.

Hope that clears up a few things