Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 22-11-2018

Default Advice required - Cougar 2000 transmission.

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice regarding running a brushless motor in my cougar 2000. The car currently runs a 14x2 modified brushed motor which is on its last legs so i am trying to find something which will be of the same power output?

Also will the transmission be able to cope with a brushless motor as the diff, layshaft and idler gears are all made of plastic. I know you were able to get a alloy idler gear for this transmission but not sure if this would aid the situation or make things worse?

Your help is always very much appriciated.
Old 22-11-2018

I have ran a 10.5 in a Storm 2000, same transmission and also ran a 7.5 in a cougar 2000 without any problems. The Alloy idler gear makes a big difference. The diff internals are the same as a Cat 2000 with im running a 6.5 with no issues
Old 22-11-2018

You can upgrade the three gears to the fireblade series which are a bigger pitch to make them more efficient
Old 22-11-2018

Hi Kev

Thank you for the reply, am i right i thinking the alloy gear takes away some of the stress from the layshaft and diff gears? I can get hold of an alloy gear but just wondering if i can use it with the two original gears in the transmission (very minimal wear) or would it be best to replace the remaining gears at the same time.

I tried to search for the fireblade gears but no luck. These old buggy spares are so difficult to find now. I have been looking for a red motor plate for ages now due to threads becoming damaged which the transmission screws locate into. There is one currently on ebay but you dont know if its any better than the one already on the car.
Old 22-11-2018

I would replace all at the same time if they are bad. Just if there is any play in them will get gear slap against the new one. New should all last ages if done at the same time. Yeah fireblade 2000 to evo can be hard to find. Have 2 new alloy gears if needed. Think I have a few spare red motor mounts as well
Old 22-11-2018

Hi Kev
If you do have an alloy gear and motor plate you no longer require i would very much like to purchase these from you. My hope is to race this car at one of the vintage RC events so I am trying to build up a few spares around me. I have not raced since 98 and my technical skills were not that good then so crashes will happen.

Please PM me with any details regarding the above parts.