Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > 10ELECTRIC - Cullingworth

Old 28-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swell View Post
I had same idea for jumps. Storage is the problem. I think if we made them from plastic though they could be stored out back maybe?
I just tried to bend 12" of 8th ply into a kicker shape jump and its not playing
You could get a full sheet and lean it up against a wall so it bent under its own weight into desired shape.........

Where/What sort of plastic could we get hold of for free of course
(eyes pealed:[/QUOTE]

You can bend/curve the plastic sheets permenently by using a heat gun to soften it. It keeps the shape when it cools down
Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
This is great stuff guys. I'm really pleased to see people taking such an interest in the track... Obviously space is the problem at Cullingworth. There was talk of being able to use the shed outside for some storage. I'm not sure if that offer is still open? Nori would need to ask the village hall guys. I quite like those little ramps we tend to put around the corners, Mark Dyson made those ages ago. I'd like to see more of those so we could have a proper bumpy corner!

Another thing I think would be helpful are some small sand bags or weights to hold the tyres in place. We are doing a pretty good job at the moment of taping all the track into place so it dosent catch on the cars and get moved about. But the tyres do still move about a bit.

How about trying to get hold of some small plastic domes too? we could make a cool bumpy section with those, I've seen them used as corner markers for touring cars, Not sure what they are called though?
Do you mean football markers ? We could bond them to a sheet of ply and make a bumpy section similar to what some people ski on in competions , there cheap as chips on ebay
Old 28-02-2013
Mad Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONSTER-SI...item4d07f693db

£15 quid in argos, couple off these wouldn't break the bank too much would it?
Old 28-02-2013

A mogul that's what skiers call it
Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONSTER-SI...item4d07f693db

£15 quid in argos, couple off these wouldn't break the bank too much would it?
I have a couple at home. They're a bit steep though, I'll fetch them and we can see...
Old 28-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
I have a couple at home. They're a bit steep though, I'll fetch them and we can see...
Steep is fun!
Old 28-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Far too steep really for inside. I was thinking a shallow curved kicker, or two. hit one land down the other. Jigsaw cut formers, with some flexible hardboard or very thin ply over the top. Something that flows, rather than a basic triangle ramp.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Far too steep really for inside. I was thinking a shallow curved kicker, or two. hit one land down the other. Jigsaw cut formers, with some flexible hardboard or very thin ply over the top. Something that flows, rather than a basic triangle ramp.
I'd love it if we could come up with some kind of rhythm section. Like a triple jump that can be done double, single, IF you get it right!
Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
Far too steep really for inside.
Can't be any steeper than the tables propped up like we've done in the past, these seem a far easier solution than building out of tables or building from scratch, like most features they'll depend on positioning but i think if you cut one lip off opposing sides off 2 of these so you could bolt them together nothing fancy just a bolt and wingnut they could work well, I've always loved the idea of a low box jump aswell only pallet high but so it can be used as 90`corner or straight over, but storage is king.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 28-02-2013

It's the kick up that makes them a bit steep
Old 28-02-2013

I had a go this afternoon at bending ply to make a smooth kick up it worked well but was very slow cutting the back to allow it to curve without breaking , if we want these kind of ramps I think we should be looking at bendy mdf , this would allow us to make a double or triple at whatever distance apart we wanted , width about 4' height about 6 "" to 12"
Just google bendy mdf for a few things that can be done with it
Old 28-02-2013

Why do they have to have a smooth shallow curve to them why not just flat sheets?
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 28-02-2013

Default Coz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
Why do they have to have a smooth shallow curve to them why not just flat sheets?

It looks cool and chicks dig it
Old 28-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

This video shows the sort of curved ramps I mean.

Sure that's a much bigger and faster track, but some small curved ramps like these will be great I think.

Also this:

Which shows the dots James means. You get 1 or 2 inside the box with a spectrum radio gear. They seem to have them at touring car races also, so must be available from somewhere?
The second vid also shows some small curved ramps with what looks like a flexible sheet, with three batons under, central one bigger than the outers, with the board taped to the floor. That seems to form a nice curve, but will be easy to store?

Also, what about halves of tennis balls stuck to a sheet of wood or carpet?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-03-2013

14x13 leaves a bit of room for the steps

Also the sand bags what the vibe get rid or we could empty 70 percent of the sand out................
If we dont use them im happy to bring em home i will use the for a track in the field
Old 02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swell View Post
14x13 leaves a bit of room for the steps

Also the sand bags what the vibe get rid or we could empty 70 percent of the sand out................
If we dont use them im happy to bring em home i will use the for a track in the field
Dont like the sandbags as they are.2 reasons,1 they obscure the apexes and 2 if you hit one it breaks your car!.think removing at least 50% of the sand would be better.also they leave sand allover the hall floor.
Old 03-03-2013

could use corrugated plastic sheet like this for jumps £20 for 3off 8' x 4' sheets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Correx-Cor...-/250991480140

How about something like this mini profile corrugated roofing for rumble strip. Its 32mm peak to peak so might still be a little deep. Certainly cheap enough.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240170/?source=123_75
Old 03-03-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I quite liked the sandbags last night, but do agree that we could loose some sand content and make them a bit lighter. I realy liked how they kept the track in position though, could have done with just a few more for up near the timing loop.

That corrugated plastic sheet might work well. how would it bond to the ramp shapers? will it take the abuse?
Old 03-03-2013

Quote:
I quite liked the sandbags last night, but do agree that we could loose some sand content and make them a bit lighter. I realy liked how they kept the track in position though, could have done with just a few more for up near the timing loop.

That corrugated plastic sheet might work well. how would it bond to the ramp shapers? will it take the abuse?
the shapers would have to be the other way, that sort of sheet is rigid in one direction but not the other, Velcro maybe? Looking at ad that's only 2mm, probably similar to the partitioning material in your hauler bag, might need something a bit thicker.
Old 03-03-2013

hardboard probably cheapest easiest option