Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 06-08-2014
#1 ZX5 fan

Default Towbar - electrics

I know this is a bit random but some informed guys on here....

I'm planning on fitting a towbar for some VERY infrquent use of a caravan (like may get used 3 times in total). Bearing in mind the amount of use and also that I'm tight I've got two queries regarding the electrics.

Do I really need the 2nd electrical socket for a caravan? I'm not bothered about charging the leasure battery or running the fridge whilst driving as such I'm considering only getting a 7 pin for ease and it looks less 'bad' on the back of the car.

Bypass relay - How do you know if this is 'needed' or not. I take it that if you use the relay the wires in the lamp cluster become effictivlye signal wires for the caravan rather than actually powering them and are therefore more reliable? The relay itself is seperatly fed.

Anyone got a used one for a Mk2 Focus hatchback 2.0TDCi let me know ;-)

Cheers,

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-08-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Dan I work for ford

Mk2 focus us not can wiring so no bypass relay or programming needed, you don't need 12s it's it only for charge 12v Interior lamps on van and fridge while driving.
12n will do I personally opted for the new 13 pin and fitted a 2 wire into one plug for my caravan, there a far better connector but you then need the split charger etc (can be done without)

Just join car socket into loom in red of car. You will need a buzzer in the rear which should come with most 12n kits.

No towbars here tho sorry
Old 06-08-2014

hi Dan

I fit towbars for a living, as well as many other things.
their are different types you can get, swan neck is the nicest fit aesthetically of you can go for detachable. as the towbar is removable and the electrics socket is hinged so tucks away into the bumper when not being used.

as for electrics I would go for 13pin what is a single socket with twin electrics wired up in it.
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 08-08-2014
#1 ZX5 fan

Gents thanks for your replies.

I was going to buy from these guys as they seem the cheapest

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/fo...2005-2008.html

I wanted the swan neck bar but we've an ALKO hitch on the caravan and they don't seem to have an ALKO version so was going to go with the Witter (as I've heard of them)

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/ford-focus-...e-tow-bar.html

It comes with the standard 7 pin 12N for 'free' and whilst I understand the 12S is better, the caravan is 15 years old so have the 7 pins on it so the poor connection will still have to be there (and did I mention I was tight?).

So if I don't need the bypass relay, under what circumstances would / should you get one?

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-univ...ass-relay.html

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 08-08-2014

A swan neck is an alko
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 08-08-2014

Bypass relay are for cars where tail lights on cars use neg voltage or resistive for the lights

Ie. led lights

Low voltage for side lights and 12volt for brake using the same bulbs

Can bus
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 08-08-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Alko is actually a trailer hitch, and the hitch is also a stabiliser, alko used to say don't use swan necks due to the flex and loads the stabiliser adds to the bar. How ever things have changed a bit.http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bar-types-explained.html
That's providing its a big lever on the caravan that u push down to clamp the hitch to the ball. If its old style like a leaf spring you can also buy adapters for swan necks now.

The bypass relay is not needed for your model Dan. You would only need it if you car has bulb monitoring, can network on the lamps or pwm (pulse width monitoring) which controls the brightness of the lamps.

Most modern new cars will adapt stability parking sensors etc when they know its got a tow bar, and ford for one will void warranty if the corect electrics are not fitted and the car programed to adapt.and insurance companies are also backing out of claims if tow bar electrics that don't meet manufactures specs.

But non of that applicable to you, tow bars are now part of the mot in both security and function.

I'd still recommend a 13 pin socket and plug for the van.last thing you want is dicky lights.
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/communi...a-13-pin-plug/
Old 12-08-2014
#1 ZX5 fan

Thanks again chaps for your help. Ordering that Swan Neck Witter for about £100 inc postage and basic electrics. Decided to stick with 7 pin so can borrow father in laws trailer when needed.

Cheers.

Nortech is ACE!