Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 06-07-2008

Default Optima steering improvements

I definately enjoy running the old Salute, but the situation with the steering leaves lots to be desired...

Are/were there any hot tips to improve the steering linkages and the integrated servo saver?

I'm finding that the aluminium steering posts introduce quite some friction agaist the black plastic arms. I've greased them up, which helps, but it's still not great.

Also the integrated servo saver on the left post is really soft (see the pic) any ideas for improving it? I could try to re-temper or even re-stretch the spring or something, but would that be "barking up the wrong tree"? Did people just somehow disable it altogether back in "the day" and run a servo-horn-based servo saver instead? Were there Kyosho or aftermarket ball bearing cranks or anything like that available?

And what is the hot tip for mounting the steering servo? Mine's just servo taped in there. Seems to hold okay, but surely that's a bit ropey.

Thanks for any and all suggesetions!

Cheers,
Ty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00218.jpg (60.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-07-2008
Mad Member

The 'trick' to the servo saver back in the day was to just run it as it is. Nothing wrong with the kit item. The spring is soft compared with today's servo savers, but that's how they were run back then. Once you have freed up the servo saver you will find the spring is capable of doing its job. Everyone used the standard setup with a servo horn and there were no hop ups for it, I can't recall any car at the time having ballraced steering cranks.

The trick is to make sure the plastic parts are free on the posts. Looking at the picture it looks like it's had some use, so I expect everything is binding in there. It can also have been overtightened when installed, causing the posts to swell at the bottom and caused it to bind up. You shouldn't have any grease in there, it will cause drag and prevent the saver operating properly. Remove it from the car and check if the servo saver swings freely on the post. Check for any scoring on the posts and use some T-Cut to polish the posts. Check if the plastic parts are still stiff, if so you want to clean out the plastic parts, check for any plastic at the edges, and if there isn't any use a fine sandpaper inside the posts to enlarge the hole. Keep on trying on the posts so you don't take too much off. Once the plastic parts are free on the polished posts reassemble in the car and check they are still free.

The servo is just servo taped in there. To make it more secure run a tie wrap around the servo, there's just enough room to fit it in the gap next to the belt cover.
Old 07-07-2008

I rebuilt an Optima a few monthes ago and I had the same problems : gritty steering and shockingly soft servo saver.

I put the aluminium steering post on a Dremel and let it spun slowly against some paper towel with motor spray until it was clean. I also flushed the dirt inside the steering hole with motor spray. I tried to glue the servo-saver (hey, I want my Optima to perform at its best!) but the tyre glue joint broke shortly after. I tried to add washers under the spring but it feels almost the same. I gusess I have to glue it once again.

As for the servo, I used a trick I 'created' 20 years ago : clean everything with alcohol or motor spray, use a good servo tape, and then shrink-wrap the servo and its support with stick-pack shrink-wrap. It works really well, try it.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 07-07-2008

i used to super glue the servo saver , mind that all the shocks transmitted to the servo though. Wasnt too much of an issue back then as we all ran with large bumpers that were the width of the car . Almost!
Old 14-07-2008

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions and feedback - I've cleaned up everything really well now, and it's working fine.

I suppose the soft servo-saver is just how it was done back then, and to be honest it generally works okay when driving. Not too good for low speed cornering and manoevering though.

Cheers!
Ty
Old 15-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think Terry missed something off. Kimborough servo savers. I used Kimborough servo savers in that car and the later Lazer versions and both the large and small versions worked fine. Never had a problem with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymill View Post
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions and feedback - I've cleaned up everything really well now, and it's working fine.

I suppose the soft servo-saver is just how it was done back then, and to be honest it generally works okay when driving. Not too good for low speed cornering and manoevering though.

Cheers!
Ty
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 15-07-2008

Hi, when you used the servo-mounted kimbrough, would you disable the built-in servo saver as well somehow? Or would you just run with both?

Thanks,
Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I think Terry missed something off. Kimborough servo savers. I used Kimborough servo savers in that car and the later Lazer versions and both the large and small versions worked fine. Never had a problem with them.
Old 23-07-2008

Can't you use the steering set as used on the ultima series?
Or find a harder spring ?
Old 23-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
Can't you use the steering set as used on the ultima series?
Or find a harder spring ?
No, there isn't enough room to fit the Ultima (or Optima Mid) servo saver inside the chassis on the Optima. The Optima range also has cranked arms to clear the vertical plates that support the front gearbox that the Ultima/Mid servo saver doesn't have.

Changing the spring would be possible, trying to find a replacement would be fun though.
Old 24-07-2008

I bet you could find a spring that works. It'll take some serious searching, though.
Old 24-07-2008

Just look for a company that sells springs; they'll have a much larger selection to choose from than all rc companies together.
Old 13-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

OK I cheated, I superglued it altogether, and that resolved several issues I was having with the unit.

However as everyone here is saying maybe the best approach would be just to get another stronger and thicker spring (I think there was a spring on mine.) If you spend a bit of time you be able to figure out how to get rid of the slop etc and resolve the sloppyness of the standard item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymill View Post
Hi, when you used the servo-mounted kimbrough, would you disable the built-in servo saver as well somehow? Or would you just run with both?

Thanks,
Ty
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS