Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Stotfold MCC

Old 29-04-2013

Default 12v battery and 4wd tyres

Hi

Thanks to everyone for making my son Josh and I welcome as we looked around over the past couple of weekends.

We are building up to racing our out-of-the-box car in the next couple of weeks and going from there with our racing.

Two quick questions:

1. What capacity of 12v battery should we get to power the charger? I.e. what will we need to charge our lipo battery the 5 times or so it will need? Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

2. What 4wd tyres and inserts should we get? Our buggy is a 4wd and came with tyres out of the box but we thought we'd get some decent tyres on it from the outset. A gentleman did recommend some tyres to us but we forgot what they were by the time we got home! Schumacher mini spike silvers?

Thanks,

Martin.
Old 30-04-2013

Hello mate,

I am completely new to this aswell as I joined at Christmas but haven't managed to get down for any racing yet. Found it hard to find time to build my buggy in between work, entertaining kids and a newborn just arrived. Lol.

Probably should have taken your route and bought a rtr model. As far as 12v battery, I think any old car battery will do but if I am wrong I am sure that one of the other members will put you (and me) straight. I will probably be using the battery from my caravan (its a bit big but should save me a few quid in not having to fork out on another battery).

As far as tyres go, I was told to get schumacher mini spikes green for the wet and yellows for the dry. I think some people use silvers for the wet too. Kev at inside line racing is really helpful and as a Stotfold member you get 5% off all orders and he can bring them to the club which will save on postage. Sure keith or adrian will be able to give you the discount code.

Don't take this the wrong way but hopefully you and your son will be just as bad as me when we're down there as it will make me feel a lot better if I have someone equally as crap. Lol.

A lot of the guys down there do seem very helpful and friendly though. Hope to see you soon fella.

Gary
Old 01-05-2013

Martin,

A leisure battery would be preferable to a car battery – they are better able to withstand deep discharging. A typical LiPo battery is ~ 5,000 mAh (5 Ah) so you would want a leisure battery of at least five times that capacity. I've bought batteries from www.tayna.co.uk before and always been happy with the service. I currently have a Numax CXV24MF, which is rated at 86 Ah so easily enough for two weekends of racing (it's currently priced at £68.75 on www.tayna.co.uk).

See Gary's post above regarding tyres. I believe the silver compound is preferred when the track is somewhere between fully wet and fully dry.

I hope that helps.

Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartP View Post
Hi

Thanks to everyone for making my son Josh and I welcome as we looked around over the past couple of weekends.

We are building up to racing our out-of-the-box car in the next couple of weeks and going from there with our racing.

Two quick questions:

1. What capacity of 12v battery should we get to power the charger? I.e. what will we need to charge our lipo battery the 5 times or so it will need? Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

2. What 4wd tyres and inserts should we get? Our buggy is a 4wd and came with tyres out of the box but we thought we'd get some decent tyres on it from the outset. A gentleman did recommend some tyres to us but we forgot what they were by the time we got home! Schumacher mini spike silvers?

Thanks,

Martin.
Old 01-05-2013

Thank guys!

Thanks for the Tanya link. I am looking at the Numax LV22MF battery. 75ah.

Will get those tyres as recommended.

Then we are all set!

Martin