Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 10-08-2013
Mad Member

Default turnigy 9xr !! suitable module and rx for fpv maybe??

Well after again having to divert funds elsewhere I have at long last started to order the quad.

I was set on the 9x, however decided on thr 9xr as it seems the most logical way to go.

However for the modules im a bit confused.

From what I understand I can use any jr style module ie the orange thingy or the frsky.

However are these modules also suitable for long distance ie fpv at a later date.
Iv read you can add a better antenna to the orange module that allows upto 3km. However I dont know what module, antenna or receiver whats needed.

Can anyone recommend a good module and receiver that I could possibly use at a later date with enough range.

Iv been watching some great vids on the black sheep discovery going up blackpool tower giving me crazy ideas ha ha.

Thanks

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

My Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199
Old 11-08-2013

2.4ghz stuff is ok for line of sight flying, as soon as you go behind trees or buildings you can kiss your quad goodbye!

For that type of flying you want to be looking at something like Immersionrc ezuhf, this fits in place of a normal module and receiver to give you 20 miles plus and is good for penetrating trees and building. It runs on 433mhz or 469mhz (I think) with firmware update (433mhz is legal in uk).

The above can be had from hobbyking or firstpersonview.co.uk do a bundle.

Hope that helps.

Ps. I have the 9xr with frsky tx module and rx, I've had it bleeping at me (low signal) pretty close in because of trees etc....
Old 12-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
2.4ghz stuff is ok for line of sight flying, as soon as you go behind trees or buildings you can kiss your quad goodbye!

For that type of flying you want to be looking at something like Immersionrc ezuhf, this fits in place of a normal module and receiver to give you 20 miles plus and is good for penetrating trees and building. It runs on 433mhz or 469mhz (I think) with firmware update (433mhz is legal in uk).

The above can be had from hobbyking or firstpersonview.co.uk do a bundle.

Hope that helps.

Ps. I have the 9xr with frsky tx module and rx, I've had it bleeping at me (low signal) pretty close in because of trees etc....
Yes that helps a lot thanks pal. Iv read somewhere that changine the module aerial increases range but then again these modules are a bit more complicated than rc car stuff.

I think I may stick with the frsky rx and module for the time being (have you got a good recommendation to yours then please as in where to buy and part numbers. Am I right in thinking that yours has telemetry as it beeps when it goes out of range.

Lastly iv had a quick look on the immersion stuff. Admittedly it was on my mobile but does this work the same principal as a jr style module that just clips into the back of say a 9xr and the receiver works the conventional way.

Sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

Old 13-08-2013

The long range stuff doesnt fit like a normal module to the tx see here: Ezuhf module bundle.

This is what i have that fits straight into 9xr: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

The telemetry requires more kit that connects to the reciever but yes it does beep when low on packets/signal.
Old 13-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
The long range stuff doesnt fit like a normal module to the tx see here: Ezuhf module bundle.

This is what i have that fits straight into 9xr: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

The telemetry requires more kit that connects to the reciever but yes it does beep when low on packets/signal.
I was looking at that module the other day - there is another with a more 'wedge' shape reciever that is cheaper - any idea what the difference is ?

Also I watched a vid on YouTube that tested the stock Turnigy 9x (the one i have) and showed it was good to 2 kilometeres - maybe more - so do you get even more range with the fr sky stuff ?

I'm asking as I'm building my 550 ariel platform and want to be able to go high with it. How high can you go before you can't see it ! ?

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-08-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
How high can you go before you can't see it ! ?
The most memorable moment of the last RHR meet was Mike seeing how long he dared leave his hex at full throttle going straight up... It was visible for around 20 seconds, so after about 1min he activated return to home.
The camera was on, but haven't seen the vid yet
Old 13-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
The most memorable moment of the last RHR meet was Mike seeing how long he dared leave his hex at full throttle going straight up... It was visible for around 20 seconds, so after about 1min he activated return to home.
The camera was on, but haven't seen the vid yet
ooh would like to see that video. how high did it get?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:

Cheers for the link ordered the set and also the lipo for the 9xr.

Im getting there slowly now ha ha.

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared

Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
I was looking at that module the other day - there is another with a more 'wedge' shape reciever that is cheaper - any idea what the difference is ?

Also I watched a vid on YouTube that tested the stock Turnigy 9x (the one i have) and showed it was good to 2 kilometeres - maybe more - so do you get even more range with the fr sky stuff ?

I'm asking as I'm building my 550 ariel platform and want to be able to go high with it. How high can you go before you can't see it ! ?
As you know I probably know less than you guys however iv read upto 3km range in ideal conditions, supposedly they are more reliable that thr std rx and tx as well. I would have gone std gear however thr 9xr doesnt have an option for a module so it was either the frsky or the orange setup.

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared

Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:

Oops may havr ordered too soon having just read about telemetry, what features does the telemetry offer and what extras do I need. My fault for reading the forums on my phone and not the pc as you miss things. Still I can order stuff on the phone without the mrs knowing he he.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared

Old 13-08-2013

2km is a long way! you just wouldnt be flying that far away unless you are mad with fpv, even then its still a good distance. Its when you start to fly behind buildings and trees that kills 2.4ghz stuff. (lower the frequency better it is through buildings etc...)

I HAVE ONLY EVER BEEN UPTO THE LEGAL LIMIT OF 400 FEET! (honest guvna)

Difference between the wedge shape receiver and mine is ports to side of receiver to add telemetry add ons.
I wouldnt bother with the telemetry just yet on the frsky stuff, there are better alternatives when you understand more what you want to do with your machine.