Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 23-01-2014

Default New track Ideas required

Right, we are now well into the new year and numbers appear to be picking up.
Maybe its time for me too get off my lazy arse and start building some tracks. LOL.
What kind of things do we want guys?
All suggestions too:-

I'm building the track,
22 your opinions count for nowt street,
Let us raceville,
Get it builtfordshire.

Old 23-01-2014
oOple Advertiser

Here's one idea....never ever ever have that bloody awful right angled jump onto the table top again, I seriously considered piling all my gear up and setting fire to it after getting that damn thing wrong so many times in one night. lol

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 23-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by john333 View Post
Here's one idea....never ever ever have that bloody awful right angled jump onto the table top again, I seriously considered piling all my gear up and setting fire to it after getting that damn thing wrong so many times in one night. lol
Ha Ha sorry to laugh John, the top needs widening in my opinion, these sorts of things are the kind of things that need to be addressed
Old 23-01-2014

I say bring back the up the wall 90' turn, that was a good obstacle. The table top meshing is coming off too. I quite like having a bit of floor showing too rather than all carpet and maybe some jumps on the straight which are placed close enough to jump both if you have the balls.
Old 23-01-2014

At York they have gym mats which they make into jumps and at batley they have gym mats again but do a banked corner out of them, thats cool!
Old 23-01-2014
oOple Advertiser

we have to keep the carpet down all over the floor as the room is used as an archery club during the week, and they say it will become a trip hazard if there are bits missing etc.

Also jumps on the straight have been tried, but we sort of moved away from them because it's nice to get a little bit of speed up once a lap lol

My feedback
Old 23-01-2014
oOple Advertiser

would be good to get some gym mats though

My feedback
Old 23-01-2014

im working on our care takers for some mats.
Old 23-01-2014

Yeah i know what you mean about speed but jumps on straight dont have to stop the speed, like i said have them a certain distance apart so that you can either go for it flat out and do a big jump or choose to take steady eddie! Just make sure the first jump isnt too steep, is straight, and not broken

Table top is good but its not a big jump is it, 90% of the time it ends with a corner straight after so you just use enough speed to land on the down slope on other side. Events like worksop seems to have a big jump which can be taken steady or go for it.

The diagonal straight like other week was good cuz it didnt look straight so lots of ppl used steering when no need.

York altho use them foot thick crash mats too which are good for landing on.
Old 23-01-2014

iv also seen places use that rubber floor matting that is heavy and has a tapered edging so no taping down is required.

My lodger works for a conveyor place, will see if he can get hold of conveyor roll ends or summat to protect jump entries, or be used for obstacles or corners rather than lino.
Old 23-01-2014

these are good too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27123...ff14=95&ff19=0
Old 23-01-2014

also found some free basic track design software:

http://www.zanthrax.nl/files/trackmaker.zip
Old 23-01-2014

I am in favour of keeping the straight open I like a good blast down it and it one point I can get close or overtake the tabletop was a pain but I wasn't as vexed about it as John lol the gym mats seem a good idea also the the centre piece of the big jump needs addressing maybe covering with hardboard instead of the mesh so it ain't too heavy to lift,the thing is in IMHO I like a fast flowing track with some obstacles like jumps etc and not to many obstacles and no where to open the car up as it is racing after all but it also off road so a balance is needed between the two. I've got to say I think the tracks we have raced on in the last 6 months as least I've enjoyed them all so it's just what we put In between like jumps gym mats etc is what we really need people's opinion on .
Old 24-01-2014

cant use hard board on the big jump, blind spot springs too mind, you need too see your car under it
Old 24-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano43 View Post
I am in favour of keeping the straight open I like a good blast down it and it one point I can get close or overtake the tabletop was a pain but I wasn't as vexed about it as John lol the gym mats seem a good idea also the the centre piece of the big jump needs addressing maybe covering with hardboard instead of the mesh so it ain't too heavy to lift,the thing is in IMHO I like a fast flowing track with some obstacles like jumps etc and not to many obstacles and no where to open the car up as it is racing after all but it also off road so a balance is needed between the two. I've got to say I think the tracks we have raced on in the last 6 months as least I've enjoyed them all so it's just what we put In between like jumps gym mats etc is what we really need people's opinion on .
Technical flowing tracks like bridgford last week is what we need, it keeps you on your toes and cuts down on fast car accidents
Old 24-01-2014

I agree with technical flowing tracks however i feel that sometimes West Bridgford, and to a certain extent Broxtowe, the grip is high with carpet and too flowing resulting in flat out racing even round some of the corners. Its then all down to the power you have and less about the ability of the driver. I like Mansfield cuz its competitive (usually friendly too lol) with being narrow with obstacles and lots of corners etc and I would rather race there than bridgford any day. If the track is bigger then changes of surface, mats, jumps, and changes of direction are all good.
Old 24-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesyd View Post
I agree with technical flowing tracks however i feel that sometimes West Bridgford, and to a certain extent Broxtowe, the grip is high with carpet and too flowing resulting in flat out racing even round some of the corners. Its then all down to the power you have and less about the ability of the driver. I like Mansfield cuz its competitive (usually friendly too lol) with being narrow with obstacles and lots of corners etc and I would rather race there than bridgford any day. If the track is bigger then changes of surface, mats, jumps, and changes of direction are all good.
Totally agreen Dan, but bridgefords track for their winter championship was awesome, loads of corners etc, it wasnt much about power but driver ability
Old 24-01-2014

Thats cool then. The potential at Bridgford is great because of the size. Worksop is always a quality track too and I suppose that is the difference between championships and club nights.
Old 24-01-2014

I really enjoyed the track this week and thought it was one best we have had for long time.
Mansfield has always been know for it's more technical tracks and I think that we need to just build on that.
The things that we have done better recently is not putting anything on the straight and trying to position the jumps better so you can see them from the rostrum position.
Everyone is really pulling together and that's great for the club as a whole so
Keep up the good work chaps.

Looking forwards to next weeks track.

Old 24-01-2014

I agree to a point. like I said it has to be a mixture of both. we need some fast points or it ain't racing but a good mixture of jumps and other obstacles plus chicanes etc. I agree with jay which Is a first. this weeks track was good it had pritty much everything but the tabletop was a pain it was too short had it been twice the width but the same length ( no puns plz stainy lol) then it would have been awesome and I wouldn't have mined the half pipe in there either