Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 25-02-2014

Default Young driver

I'm looking at getting my son into racing he is only 5 so not sure if he is a bit young yet. He has a tamiya df02 that he uses around the garden but has never driven on a track so I wouldn't want him hindering other drivers but he needs to start somewhere. also what car would he be better learning with 2 or 4 wd.
Any advice please.
Old 25-02-2014

Hi Buddy,

I was in exactly the same boat as you. My lads been coming with me racing and wanted to start himself. He's just turned 6 and I got him a car for his birthday.

The preferred class at Ribble is 4wd but I think if you start them on a 2wd they'll be better off longer term.

With Nathan I got him an LRP S10 Twister because it comes as a kit. I don't know what your lad is like but Nathan was, and still is, always building lego. I thought its important for him to invest time and get an understanding of it whilst he builds it. Of course I watched over him and stopped him if it looked like he was about to do something wrong with one of the old, "are you sure?".

He and I really enjoyed the week it took to get it put together and he'll be making his racing debut this Friday so I'm relegated to pit man. I'm worried, as it sounds like you are, he'll be getting in the way but Ribble is a great club for kids. I'm sure in the bottom heat with all the other kids he'll have a great time, infact, I'm sure we both will.

I'll post a few pictures of Nathan building the car later. I got him some Hobbyking electronics which are dirt cheap but more than adequate for the task.

I'd suggest you come along to the club together, have a look and a chat, all the racers are friendly, if you're both still keen get something bought and come and play.
Old 25-02-2014

2wd for cost there are quite a lot of 2wd drive cars at Ribble, the speed demons choice seems to be 4wd
Old 25-02-2014

2wd is a good place to start with, I will be their this Friday myself running 2wd if you would like any advice feel free to ask, I also have a hobao h2 for sale that I will have with me
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 26-02-2014

Thanks I will try and get there Friday with him. I race 1/8 nitro and have never raced electric so it's all new to me.
Old 26-02-2014

Hi Eljefe - just come one Friday have a look and ask for Eric or Peter on race control and we will steer you in the right direction , as you can see there are lots of our members willing to advise and help.
Regards
Eric
Chairman
Old 28-02-2014

Hi

As the other guys have said, by all means pop down and have a chat.

I will be going with my little boy tonight. He is currently 7, but he started racing sometime around 5 1/2 years old. I also raced 1/8 nitro for a couple of years before I switched to indoors and electric so I could do it with my son.

More than happy to share my thoughts and experiences, if you are interested.

Andy
Old 28-02-2014

Having said that. I can't find the power adapter for my lipo charger. So might not make it tonight, if I don't find it soon :-(