Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 25-03-2009

Default Newbie w/a Yokomo YZ-10 Super Dog Fighter

Hello!

Hopefully you can offer me some advice!

I have managed to get hold of an old Yokomo YZ-10 super dogfighter and am looking to have it reconditioned by myself as a bit of a project.

I have several motors sitting at home, these are the brushed type. They are of various turns and spin ratings.

They haven’t been used for about 10+ years from what I gather. Would it be worth trying to get these up and running again? Is it likely that after all this time of the motors sitting around, that they would have lost any of their performance i.e. the magnets would not be working as well as they should?

How much would it cost and what would I need to get these motors in good condition? I assume I would need new brushes and clips (dog clips) to connect the motors to the ESC (which I still need to buy). How do you ‘break in’ new brushes?

On top of this, what oils and greases would I need for the rest of the car, for the shocks, gearings, bearings etc..? would the below product be suitable? Any recomendations here?

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Ansmann...r201000037.htm
&
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Ansmann...r201000038.htm

I know I would also need some new batteries, the old ones I am sure are pretty knackered by now, any advice on types here?

Do you have any other advice for me for re-conditioning an old car?

And to end with - I am in desperate need of a manual - anyone able to help me?

Old 25-03-2009

Default manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11110111 View Post
Hello!

Hopefully you can offer me some advice!

I have managed to get hold of an old Yokomo YZ-10 super dogfighter and am looking to have it reconditioned by myself as a bit of a project.

I have several motors sitting at home, these are the brushed type. They are of various turns and spin ratings.

They haven’t been used for about 10+ years from what I gather. Would it be worth trying to get these up and running again? Is it likely that after all this time of the motors sitting around, that they would have lost any of their performance i.e. the magnets would not be working as well as they should?

How much would it cost and what would I need to get these motors in good condition? I assume I would need new brushes and clips (dog clips) to connect the motors to the ESC (which I still need to buy). How do you ‘break in’ new brushes?

On top of this, what oils and greases would I need for the rest of the car, for the shocks, gearings, bearings etc..? would the below product be suitable? Any recomendations here?

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Ansmann...r201000037.htm
&
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Ansmann...r201000038.htm

I know I would also need some new batteries, the old ones I am sure are pretty knackered by now, any advice on types here?

Do you have any other advice for me for re-conditioning an old car?

And to end with - I am in desperate need of a manual - anyone able to help me?

Hi mate,try this link

http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel...10-yokomo.html
Old 25-03-2009

mate, that is awesome, thanks for the very quick response!

Old 25-03-2009

no probs mateget some pictures up,like to see an old yz10
Old 25-03-2009

will do! give me a couple of days!

Old 26-03-2009

Welcome to the site! As it happens i have just finished rebuilding my Dog Fighter to use as a vintage racer. I am confident this car has everything it needs to be a very competitve racer and you'll find yours to be much the same.
Im not sure what condition your motors are in but Im sure they'l work just fine. It would be a little easier if we had some pictures up here before any advice on this car can be given. I'll keep an eye out for an update. Cheers-Jason.
Old 26-03-2009

Default yokomo

A great site for yokomo tech is http://www.rc10talk.com/index.php Just navigate to the yokomo section and you will find loads of great posts.

As for batteries, I am using Trakpower 3200 lipos (in my works 91), they fit really well and dont require much modification to the battery posts but you will need a lipo charger.

Here is good link for all things motor's http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=126994
Old 30-03-2009

thanks for the advice guys, have a lot of reading to do at the mo, quick question..

i bought some original decals for the YZ10 Super Dogfighter off ebay, cost more than i wanted but thats another story...

...what is this 'Pavidis' name i keep hearing mentioned on ebay and other forums?

Thanks, working on the pics now...
Old 30-03-2009
Mad Member

Mark "Pavidis" was an yokomo driver back in 95 and he won the WC so there is an Pavidis version of the YZ10

mvh Isobarik
Old 30-03-2009

Default Piccies!

Pictures as promised! (LOTS OF : ) )

Motors!

Car!

Like i said - this all still needs a lot of work!

The motors all need reconditioning, do you think it will be worth paying to have it done? Some, from what i understand, were quite expensive when first purchased, would they be worth much now? I am tempted to sell some/all and upgrade to a brushless system - though might try and re-furb the whole car with vintage parts.. what you guys think? Hopefully i have taken enough pics to get a good look at them

I want to buy some shock mounts as the old ones look a bit worn around the edges, think its spent too much time upside down. The shock mounts look very very frail, these aren't too dificult to find..

no electrics on the car yet either, all need to be bought too. will leave this to the end as, like i mentioned earlier, i might get the buggy fitted out with brushless sytem

will take pictures of the body too when i get it back, its been sent off to kamtec who are hopefully going to make me a replica so i can have a fresh new one to show it off! What colour scheme to go for hmm....

: )

so much work to do... so little time...!

Last edited by 11110111; 30-03-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: pictures limit...
Old 30-03-2009

some last pics i have

Box!
Old 30-03-2009

Shocks towers are still available from fibre lyte and yokomo oem are listed on the CML website as being available along with other parts. Stuff like the servo saver parts/ball joints/hubs and carriers and diff parts are still easy(ish)to get hold of. Its also worth a mention that certain YR4 (touring car) parts are interchangable. Get the YR4 manuals form yokomo usa for part numbers etc

If you do a search of ebay for yokomo parts i think a gear adapter is being currently listed, you would then be able to run different spurs.

I would sell some of the motors and get some modern electrics. Stuff is a lot more affordable these days than i used to remember back in the day and there is a lot of quality used electrics around.

Of course if you want to keep it retro then........

Let us know about the shell re-pro by kamtec, I am sure there would be a few interested parties
Old 30-03-2009

look her for a repro body http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades.asp?id=514

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Fastrax-P...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 30-03-2009

i've dropped fybre lyte an e-mail so will wait for their reply, want to go all carbon : ) - the shocks though, is it worth keeping oem or are there any advantages for getting other shocks & springs set ups? any suggestions if after market? else know where i can find replacement internals for the oem shocks?

also as for the shell - apparently they will take a good few months to produce, as i get a few for sending them mine i MIGHT sell 1 or 2 of them, will let you know when i get mine so you know you can go pick them up (p.s. thanks for the links for the bodies on clubtamiya)

brushless and brushed motors needs different esc units right? if so i will sell off all the old motors, if not i might keep one!

p.s. couldnt find the gear adaptor on ebay, linky pls pls!

ETA - would it take much work to change this car to run a touring car shell? I figured i would need to change the shocks and mount points?
Old 30-03-2009

Here is the ebay listing number for the gear adapter 190297313249.

Your right about the esc for bruhed and brushless although i do believe certain esc's can be used on both types.

Regarding the shocks I run associated on my yokomo I think the fronts are 0.71 and the rears are 1.02 inch stroke. The 0.71 have been discontiued so you will have to find them second hand (not hard from usa ebayer). The rears are still available new from tower hobbies in the states and you can use modern springs. Be carefull you dont get the 0.56 this is the size for the original YZ 870c and quite short

You would need to bear in mind that the bolt/nut sizes for these shock is imperial and not metric. Modern equivalents are generally longer and have more travel then old skool stuff.

The yokomo part numbers for the shock rebuild parts begin with YS7....but i am not 100% sure if yokomo have updated the shock internals and not the part numbers. Things like the plastic shock parts again are still available
Old 30-03-2009

thanks for the ebay link - bidding now : )

also read this description on another forum, is this the yokomo i have?

November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.)
An EXACT replica (right down to the titanium and aluminium hardware) of the car Masami Hirosaka used to win the 1993 IFMAR World Championships. A real departure from the earlier Works '91/'93 models and famously sported the white G.R.P. shock towers and upper deck. First Yokomo to sport a true carbon fibre chassis (as opposed to graphite) and did not use the Magnesium/Aluminium front bulkhead as on previous models instead had a new design nylon front bulkhead. New design chunky front and rear arms and front upper link. Also included the troublesome 2mm fine pitch belts because that is what Masami had on his car. This model had to be reserved/special ordered (deposit put down in full) and it was only ever released in very small numbers. Definately one of the rarest and most sought after Yokomo's ever produced.
Old 30-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11110111 View Post
thanks for the ebay link - bidding now : )

also read this description on another forum, is this the yokomo i have?

November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.)
An EXACT replica (right down to the titanium and aluminium hardware) of the car Masami Hirosaka used to win the 1993 IFMAR World Championships. A real departure from the earlier Works '91/'93 models and famously sported the white G.R.P. shock towers and upper deck. First Yokomo to sport a true carbon fibre chassis (as opposed to graphite) and did not use the Magnesium/Aluminium front bulkhead as on previous models instead had a new design nylon front bulkhead. New design chunky front and rear arms and front upper link. Also included the troublesome 2mm fine pitch belts because that is what Masami had on his car. This model had to be reserved/special ordered (deposit put down in full) and it was only ever released in very small numbers. Definately one of the rarest and most sought after Yokomo's ever produced.
No i think you have the next one down on the list, the YZ 10 with what looks like a few option parts top deck etc
Old 30-03-2009

Guys I know where you can get a shell and undertray suitable for the YZ10
and it will look similar to the one shown, if I can upload these piccy,s

PM me for info

Attachment 6076

Attachment 6077

Attachment 6078
Old 31-03-2009

ETA - would it take much work to change this car to run a touring car shell? I figured i would need to change the shocks and mount points?[/quote]

I think i have the yokomo conversion kit for the yz-10 to a wide tourer if your interested. Here's my YZ-10 worlds car that i raced at the regional finals at Worksop last year.
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nif20.../OOP_5989.html
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nif20.../OOP_7015.html
Old 31-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfo View Post
I think i have the yokomo conversion kit for the yz-10 to a wide tourer if your interested. Here's my YZ-10 worlds car that i raced at the regional finals at Worksop last year.
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nif20.../OOP_5989.html
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nif20.../OOP_7015.html
Hey,

I would be very interested! Post here/PM/email/me with costs pls!

Any idea if Tamiya bodies would fit? I personally think that Tamiya do the most detailed and realistic looking bodies. If not, any other recomendations?

Thanks!

p.s. like the car, looks awesome!