Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 22-11-2009

Default Racing Sunday 29th November 2009

Hi

I missed a todays racing and the promises of having a high turn out of numbers!!! Can our commited winter racers post to confirm there entry for the 29th.

Also can we have some comments regarding the starting process that we were using over the last 2 weeks and advise what the majority prefer.

Starting process options.

1) 1st round staggered, followed by final start process round 2 onwards, based on last result. No Finals.

2) All qualifying heats staggered on 1 - 10 round one start, round 2 based on overall standings. With finals at end.

3) 1st qualifying heat staggered 1-10, 2nd round qualifying based on rotation start eg 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3, 3rd round 6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5 etc

4) Any other posted options

Remember we governed by the timing loop location?

Any other suggestions with regards to solving this issue would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 22-11-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Option 2 for me please
Old 22-11-2009

2nd vote for option 2
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Appologies if this is one of the above, but once we had
1st round qualifying
2nd -5th rounds grid races with grid set by qualifying or race finish
6th race a final using the fasted times set in any round

To be honest the though of 5 staggered qualifying sessions does not appeal

What do you think?
Old 22-11-2009

Don't think that is possible on the software. I would have to look into it.

The bonus about staggered starts is less breakages.

For me racing for a grid position and then having one grid final appeals more. Otherwise it devalues the end of day finals. That's my opinion.
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

True, for me it just seems that 5 of the 6 races won't mean as much as they did. If it can't be done i think i have to vote 1. Also can we not move the loop further down the straight?
Old 22-11-2009

How much further? We only have so much cable. Reason?
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Julian said he had loads. I wasn't too keen on starting before the start finish straight. What did the others think?
Old 22-11-2009

I will double check with Kulian. We ran for the normal area today without issues. I think we started on the corner last time whilst we learn't the system.
Old 22-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
True, for me it just seems that 5 of the 6 races won't mean as much as they did. If it can't be done i think i have to vote 1. Also can we not move the loop further down the straight?

What do you mean? " Won't mean as much",

I believe that some of our racers that run on our circuit week after week may prefer a crash bang wallop start??? This hardly engaging to new racers. We all spend varying amounts on our cars, its safer and better on our pockets not all to go off at once. The excitment of having a main final at the end is great and more motivating. At least your race is less likely to be over in the first few races if all cars done fly off down the straight into the back of each other!!! Option 3 is the fairest method and everyone get a chance to head off first or at the front. Option 2 tends to be an advantage to the fastest racer, I like to race not sprint at the begining.

I raced all over world and option 3 is the most common and prefered.
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Wicked, hope i don't sound ungreatfull mate, you and Steve have done a cracking job, just throwing an opinion into the ring
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
What do you mean? " Won't mean as much",

I believe that some of our racers that run on our circuit week after week may prefer a crash bang wallop start??? This hardly engaging to new racers. We all spend varying amounts on our cars, its safer and better on our pockets not all to go off at once. The excitment of having a main final at the end is great and more motivating. At least your race is less likely to be over in the first few races if all cars done fly off down the straight into the back of each other!!! Option 3 is the fairest method and everyone get a chance to head off first or at the front. Option 2 tends to be an advantage to the fastest racer, I like to race not sprint at the begining.

I raced all over world and option 3 is the most common and prefered.
For me, if i was fasted in the last race i want to be on pole next time, not be the first to go in a one by one order. I am pretty hard on my cars as you know , but i have not seen that many first corner incidents that have broken cars, can;t think of any right now. Sure you may get tangled up and it cost you time, but that is racing isn't it? I want to have a bit of fun and do as much racing as i can

Don't forget numbers have increased with the current setup so people must like it? Maybe if we change it could put new and old members off
Old 22-11-2009

Personal Bests should be posted and rankings from that can be made, is quite appealing to me, so that you can rate yourself agaisnt others and see how you improve over a season. With a timing system in place and individual times being recorded, Mike could create a fastest time spread sheet for wet and dry meets/2wd/4wd etc?

Dave, What do you think?
Old 22-11-2009

Option 3 sounds like an interesting one, but I have never done that one before.

At the moment I'd still have the 5 staggered qualifiers to set te car up for the final showdown.

We could post in the main section to confirm what the standard is at other clubs.
Old 22-11-2009

Quote:
Personal Bests should be posted and rankings from that can be made, is quite appealing to me, so that you can rate yourself agaisnt others and see how you improve over a season. With a timing system in place and individual times being recorded, Mike could create a fastest time spread sheet for wet and dry meets/2wd/4wd etc?

Dave, What do you think?
If I get a copy of the database when each week. If I don't race someone will have to send me a copy of the file so I can load it up into my VM

I shall try and do a Spreadsheet this week and post it on here for comments.
Old 22-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
For me, if i was fasted in the last race i want to be on pole next time, not be the first to go in a one by one order. I am pretty hard on my cars as you know , but i have not seen that many first corner incidents that have broken cars, can;t think of any right now. Sure you may get tangled up and it cost you time, but that is racing isn't it? I want to have a bit of fun and do as much racing as i can

Don't forget numbers have increased with the current setup so people must like it? Maybe if we change it could put new and old members off
Fair point, so if this forum works, then hopefully some may add there interest to the opportunities or threats that we are presented over this issue.
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:

Dave, What do you think?
Yep that appeals, really liked it last week when Mike put the times up on here and i could see how i did. Happy to help with any of that if needed
Old 22-11-2009

I dont see the first few as races they are qualifiers for the main final at the end of day and see it as a challenge to keep up with the faster guys, should'nt those who are fast have the best spot for the next round of qualifying?
Old 22-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Fair point, so if this forum works, then hopefully some may add there interest to the opportunities or threats that we are presented over this issue.
Agreed, hopefully we will get some feedback on here this week. Need to get Julian and Ian on here too posting what they think
Old 22-11-2009

Why dont 1/10th use the same format as 1/8th for qualifying a rolling start, where you as a driver have to find your own space on track and do your run in the alloted 5 mins