Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 01-09-2007

Send a message via MSN to tobbe
Default What's the different between B4 Team-kit and B4 Factory Team-kit?

Hello!

As the title says, what is the main difference between the B4 Stealth Team-kit and the B4 Factory team-kit? The reason why I ask is that I've found a cheap NIB B4 Stealth-team kit and I maybe buy it and later upgrade it with all the FT-parts, but first I need to know what is the difference?
Old 01-09-2007

Send a message via MSN to LEGEND

The factory team kit includes a few upgrades like threaded shocks and a carbhon fibre battery strap. etc But honestly if you can find a cheap one that is in good condition then get it as there isn't much difference between the cars.
Old 01-09-2007

I asked this exact same question on another forum a couple of days back, I was after opinion as much as a list of differences, Didn't get a whole lot of answers but I will copy/paste a list I was given.

and here it is, With thanks to JeffEmbracedDC over at rccaraction.

Quote:
some of the differences are style, some are performance, and some are durability.

The differences between the Team and the Factory Team are these

STYLE
  • Blue motor plate
  • blue aluminum screws
  • Blue front spindles
DURABILITY
  • Ubontanium Shock Shafts
  • Titanium Turnbuckles
PERFORMANCE
  • Carbon arms
  • Carbon knuckles
  • Carbon caster blocks
  • Carbon rear carriers
  • Carbon main chassis
  • Carbon shock towers
  • Carbon top plate
  • Carbon rear chassis brace
  • Threaded shock bodies
  • Woven carbon fiber battery strap
  • Lightened steel Outdrives
  • Steering rack bearings
  • I think it comes with a sway bar kit.
There are a few more that cross over style, durability and performance. One being the blue aluminum servo mounts. they're stronger, look cooler and will give you more reliable steering. Another is the aluminum hingepin brace. looks cool and makes your car stronger.

I think that's it.. however, I can't tell ya for sure. I don't even own one.

Real world results:
  • your car looks cooler
  • your turnbuckles are lighter and much much stronger
  • your shock shafts stay smooth longer which results in less rebuilds. They're also stronger than standard steel shock shafts.
  • The carbon parts are lighter and harder. The standard composite components flex a little more and add weight which ultimately makes the car easier to drive for beginners. This is more of a personal preference than an "upgrade" but they are in the kit to make it truly "factory team".
  • The lightened steel outdrives are of course lighter, they look a little cooler, and they supposedly make you accelerate faster. However, they're not as strong as the standard steel outdrives.
Old 01-09-2007

I personally purchased the Factory Team kit, for two reasons.

I'm a habitual waster of money, If there are upgrades I'll want to buy them, so might as well get it out of the way and just get the kit with the upgrades.

and

Threaded shock bodies....These are a must have.
Old 01-09-2007

hi,the differences are that the ft version comes with threaded shock bodies,the chassis and suspension components are carbon composite (team version is plastic composite).the ft also to the best of my knowledge has an uprated servo saver spring,front hinge pin brace,titanium tie rods and ligthened outdrives.the difference these parts make especially the carbon parts is open to much discussion but i think its down to personnel preference
Old 01-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Quote:
STYLE
  • Blue motor plate yes
  • blue aluminum screws no
  • Blue front spindles yes
DURABILITY
  • Ubontanium Shock Shafts yes
  • Titanium Turnbuckles yes
PERFORMANCE
  • Carbon arms yes
  • Carbon knuckles no
  • Carbon caster blocks no
  • Carbon rear carriers no
  • Carbon main chassis yes but plastic is better
  • Carbon shock towers yes
  • Carbon top plate yes
  • Carbon rear chassis brace yes
  • Threaded shock bodies yes
  • Woven carbon fiber battery strap yes
  • Lightened steel Outdrives yes
  • Steering rack bearings yes
  • I think it comes with a sway bar kit. no
Also has blue servo saver bolt, blue alloy servo mounts and extra bearings in the transmition (more than RTR anyway)
All in all its a great kit, i still run the carbon chassis but thats because i cant afford to buy another plastic one at this time, i love all the alloy bits on it and its much nicer to drive than the RTR version.
Old 01-09-2007

Interesting, Glad to know I wasn't lead too far astray.

I did query the chassis as I was certain I had read many preferred the plastic instead, I didn't get any answer to that question at the time.

In what way is the plastic considered better? Is it because the flex in the material gives the car a more forgiving feel?

I presume the Factory Team kit is lighter then the Team kit?, Mine will be used in a class with a standard motor so any other area where I can eenhance performance is a bonus.
Old 01-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Plastic is better because its; more forgiving, easier to drive, doesnt snap as easy and when you but saddle packs in, it cant short them out whereas when the carbon has worn down a bit (from batteries going in and out) it can short out as bare carbon is conductive... very conductive.

Same goes for wishbones ect, they are lighter and all that, but they snap alot easier when made from carbon, if i were you i would replace all broken carbon parts with plastic, cheaper and stronger.
Old 01-09-2007

all good, If and when they break I will give plastic a go, Though in general I prefer how carbon chassis handle.

Having said that, I haven't driven a B4 yet.
Old 01-09-2007

Send a message via MSN to tobbe

Oh, that was a lot of hop-ups on the FT version! Maybe I then save for a new B4 FT because it will cost me more money to upgrade the car to FT than buy a new FT version
Old 01-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The main difference between the two cars is how they feel to drive, chassis flex and car weight are very open subjects and normally end up in a big thread where everyone agrees to disagree

In my experience the carbon parts make the car feel a lot sharper and are more consistent through bumps but the car seems to generate less, albeit more consistent steering.
A plastic car will feel more 'hovercraft like' and react slower and can be a bit inconsistent on very rutted surfaces. Plastic does seem to generate more steering for whatever reason, but it can be inconsistent.

A lot of people do seem to prefer the way the floppy; sorry plastic chassis feels though

You will go just as fast with a Team spec car as you would with a FT. If you're concerned about the weight difference you can more than make up for it by running older cells like 3300's instead of the latest 4200+ mah cells that are a lot heavier, if you're running stock you should have no trouble lasting.
Old 01-09-2007

Interesting, I'll have to weigh my batteries and see what the difference is, Though I have been using my 3300's in the stock class already. I may drop down even further if it saves weight.

The track I race at has a stupidly long straight to accommodate the gas cars, so when we race stock electric buggies generally whoever has bit more pace down the straight has a major advantage.
Old 01-09-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

My car was the stealth and the only real must have upgrades are teh Titanium Turnbuckles as the steel ones bend too easily. The rest are nice to have but I dont believe are that essential, even the HD Servo saver spring, I now have it but never had a problem with the original one
Old 01-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Loving my carbon chassis