Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 05-09-2007

Default RC10 B3

Hello, a friend of mine is looking for a cheap car to have a play with after many years out of the sport and has the chance of an apparently good condition RC10 B3 with a selection of spares.

Any idea what this would be worth (no electrics)?

He's not got a very large budget so is tempted as they were pretty good and spares seem to be available still. He has said he might use it at the local club once in a while, but no more than that.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I started racing late last year / early this year with my old B3 and sold that on Ebay for about £50 with a load of wheels and tyres, that was a Factory team car with some nice upgrades on it (just to give you an idea)
Old 05-09-2007

Thanks Nick, out of interest was it a good car to start racing with or were there any problems you encountered?
Old 05-09-2007

Today, against B4s in Nick's capable hands, the B3 can be as fast as most B4s.

For someone without much competitive 2wd off road experience (like myself) it is a challenge to learn with. The B4 is easier to drive and sadly I think the B3 doesn't help the learner to understand off road racing because it is harder to drive, even though I hoped it would do. But you may actually end up a better driver in the long run, being better at dealing with a less stable, less predictable car.

The bottom line is your learning curve will be slower.

The B3 looks far cooler going round the track and throws far cooler shapes.

Elliott.

p.s. I've just added a big fat wing to my B3 and it feels a lot more stable.
Old 05-09-2007
Mad Member

Be tempted to look out for a B4, get lots of help - everyother racer has one, spares always available, good resale value.
Old 05-09-2007

Of course, one of the reasons I switched to a B4 was because certain spares (outdrives) were running out.

Elliott.
Old 05-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

hi there... my dad sold a b3 earlier this season with loads of bits and pieces for £50, it was a factory team car and had had most of the parts replaced for new ones at the start of the season so it was in mint condition....

hope this helps

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 05-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelstenToo View Post
Thanks Nick, out of interest was it a good car to start racing with or were there any problems you encountered?
I could remember the good set-up that we used to run everywhere and i knew the car really well so i found it fine and enjoyed running it just to get me back into racing but the B4's far superior, just does everything that bit better really.....

There are some B4's around from £40 upwards so personally i'd just go for a B4, as Elliott said some parts for the B3 are at the moment just about impossible to get anyway as production is on hold for now....... not sure if it will ever return either to be honest.
Old 18-09-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Hello, a friend of mine is looking for a cheap car to have a play with after many years out of the sport and has the chance of an apparently good condition RC10 B3 with a selection of spares.

Any idea what this would be worth (no electrics)?

He's not got a very large budget so is tempted as they were pretty good and spares seem to be available still. He has said he might use it at the local club once in a while, but no more than that.
Thanks
Ive got one and spares are there if you look, but he costs are very low for some reason. I will be up sooner or later with it and your more than welcome to try it out. The B3 has won the worlds so the car is more than capable of winning events and is still very competitive, and if we are talking about Caerwent up the road then that car could win with ease if the set up was correct.

The car needs the shock tower replacing with carbon fibre, but they are available at fibre-lyte so worth buying, as well as titanium tie rods, but the rest is spot on and I never broke anything and never had to replace any worn items either. Its robust and will keep going if you maintanin it well (like you did with your RC10). I would stick with the standard screws as the titanium do snap and its not really worth the agro as the weight saving is minimul.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Last edited by Welshy40; 18-09-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: .
Old 19-09-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
...but the B4's far superior, just does everything that bit better really.....
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
The B3 has won the worlds so the car is more than capable of winning events and is still very competitive
The B3 stopped being competitive a long time ago. Every other 2wd on the market is easier to drive faster (I know, cos like Nick Goodall, I've tried both)
Old 24-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Very true

The B3 stopped being competitive a long time ago. Every other 2wd on the market is easier to drive faster (I know, cos like Nick Goodall, I've tried both)
Im still out on that one, as i have recently had a blat on a B4 and didnt seem much different than the B2. Ok it maybe felt a bit wider on the front and gave a bit of understeer, but you are missing the point a bit.

Just cause its not as good for you doesnt mean its not competitive, heck I know Paul Gardner was hammering F1 drivers with a Cougar (the one after the top cat) at the indoor champs and various other events when they were using the B2/B3 and traxxas etc so any one can make anything of any age go just as quick as the new toys, so the answer is yes to the original question.
Answer UK team driver
Old 25-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Im still out on that one, as i have recently had a blat on a B4 and didnt seem much different than the B2. Ok it maybe felt a bit wider on the front and gave a bit of understeer, but you are missing the point a bit.

Just cause its not as good for you doesnt mean its not competitive, heck I know Paul Gardner was hammering F1 drivers with a Cougar (the one after the top cat) at the indoor champs and various other events when they were using the B2/B3 and traxxas etc so any one can make anything of any age go just as quick as the new toys, so the answer is yes to the original question.
The B3's still competitive - as i said earlier i ran my old one at Lee's first couple of Winter series and out qualified some good drivers with B4's, XXX's etc, but honestly the B4 is still a big improvement, indoors i'm sure he'll get it working well enough to still be fun but for the cost you can get B4's for now i think it's worth it as at least then you've got the option to go and race it outdoors without worrying about spares etc.
Old 26-09-2007

Sorry forgot to post an update on this!
He's changed his mind after discussing it with his wife, there were worries about lack of time and that it would consume all his money again (something his wife is good at on her own!)

But when I was looking around for him I ended up getting hold of another car for myself!
I am now the proud owner of a Mardave Cobra
Old 26-09-2007

Wicked car, well maybe if you still see Kristian around maybe you could ask him what setup would be good, mind you he fitted a stealth gearbox and associated shocks (thats what was on it when he loaned me it for a race event I had to attend), but still the standard kit was a good drive.

Habe you checked out Dans RC10 car? Bet that bring back memories?
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 26-09-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: .
Old 26-09-2007

Yep seen Dan's RC10 and that did bring back happy memories. Still keeping an eye out for one on ebay, but don't want to end up with a worn out pile of rubbish
Old 27-09-2007

Quote:
Yep seen Dan's RC10 and that did bring back happy memories. Still keeping an eye out for one on ebay, but don't want to end up with a worn out pile of rubbish
Wait till you see my rc10 mip legend belt 4wd using a carbon fibre flat chassis. Its new and nice. almost complete, just waiting on a couple of buts. I may try it when I am next up
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-10-2007

Hmm, I never liked them when they were new James, especially not the flat chassis!
Old 31-10-2007

Quote:
Hmm, I never liked them when they were new James, especially not the flat chassis!
I like the look and when complete will look very nice, I am changing a few things as it can be upgraded a bit here and there but looks really good at the mo. Still I may not use it, but will bring along with my B3 and ZXS in February for a proper blat on Daves track and if Caerwent is on that weekend I am down then will definately like to have a blat and show how bad I have got through the years.
Answer UK team driver
Old 01-11-2007

I guess I'm still thinking about them from when I was racing rather than from an aesthetic point of view
Old 09-11-2007

I've been running a B3 and it's becoming more and more difficult to find parts. I wouldn't buy one because of that reason only. The car is perfectly fine, otherwise.