Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 27-09-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Jimmy eat your heart out!!

Ive taken a few pics at Oswestry tonight it was very dark down there i used a camera i borrow from college i know its not a dslr but it seems ok at taking pictures it has a 28-300mm lens on it and it seems ok i thought it just looked the buisness but it seems to do the buisness to sorta need more practise at panning.

Bit far away this one

This one if my favriot of the night phil channons x6 I think this onelooks really good

Again this one is abit far away dont really want to edit them its set to low quality as it is to saveon memory but so far ive taken 55 pics and its not full.

My xx4 being destroyed by craig jones

Hue and Jamie racing for the corner

Matts car someing into the corner i think this is a bit blury hard to tell on thumbnails

Jamies T3

Jamies t3 again but this time going out of shot sorta run out of turning in my body god jimmy must be able to spin round 360

And of course everyone ges these shots when taking pics lol

To fast!!

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 27-09-2007

And this is what happens when you let mike elliot loose with your car

rolly polly

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 27-09-2007

What do you reacon guys???

Also need some help with some settings after the sorta succes of tonight i want to giv eit a go at kiddy on sunday. Ive read your tips and tricks jimmy but still alittle confused as i can change the F number in a few diffrent ways and i think it will go up to 8 but there is this other number that goes up to 4000 at the side of it Confused. There is also i setting on the camera which looks like a man running so im thinking this maybe a sorta highs peed mode which blurs background etc but focuses on the foreground. Help!!

A

Old 28-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

You want the lowest F number with the highest shutter speed (the one that goes up to 4000) as a basic rule of thumb
Old 28-09-2007
BANNED

They are really good Ash, I think that Jimmy will be, as you say, 'eating his heart out'.

SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 28-09-2007

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

The 2 settings you are on about are Aperture Size (F2.8 to F8 or so), and Shutter speed (measured in seconds (needing a tripod), tens, hundreds & thousands of seconds).

I'm sure a better photographer than me will correct me if wrong, but this is how I understand it (in my laymans terms)....

The aperture is used to set depth of field. This is basically how much of the photo will be in focus. An aperture setting of F2.8 will have the foreground in focus, and the background blurred.

The shutter speed is how long the shutter of the camera stays open. A low shutter speed can be used to achieve motion in some shots (if you pan with the moving object). A high shutter speed can capture the action better, but sometimes the photo's can lack any sign of movement, and make the cars appear stationary.

Does this help?
Old 28-09-2007
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

You have some good shots there Ash, it can't be easy taking photos of fast moving cars in poor light. My photos mostly come out like that grassy one at the end!
Well done, keep up the good work

Old 28-09-2007

As for the F number i just set it on auto focus as i didnt have a cluw how to focus it but ive figure out how to change the f number the cpecs say it has a shutter speed of 1/4000 but it doesnt seem the quick as i have to press the shutter and then follow the car for a short while before it takes the pic.

ive been doing some toying and ive found a way to change the f number so the higher the number the less light it lets in and the lower he number the more light it lets in i think the highest it goes is f8.

A

Old 28-09-2007

I think ive figured my problem you cant auto focus in high speed mode so ive put it into another mode and it seems quicker. Which is good. I may get one of these camera's myself as i found them on amazon new for 150 quid and my old camra has broken so i will need a good camera for college and i can also use it for racing just to take the odd shot or two nothing as good as jimmy, stu, p_b and jordan do but it will give me something to do during the long break between rounds at meetings. The only thing it doesnt have is the option to change lense but oh well this seems ok its a 28-300mm super macro lense.

A

Old 28-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

The 1/4000 is the time the shutter stays open, not the time between pressing the shutter and the shutter opening/closing

On my fuji i just use continuous auto focus and focus on the spot the car will come into, then follow the car and take the picture.
Old 29-09-2007

One of the major benefits of dSLR's over compacts or bridge cameras is the response time. As Josh mentioned, the 1/4000th of a second is how long the shutter is open for, but the camera might take 1/2 a second to focus, read the light levels to set the exposure before it actually takes the photos.

You might find if you put the camera in manual focus mode and pre-focus on a specific spot the camera reacts quicker (although this probably depends on the camera model I guess).
Old 03-10-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer View Post
One of the major benefits of dSLR's over compacts or bridge cameras is the response time. As Josh mentioned, the 1/4000th of a second is how long the shutter is open for, but the camera might take 1/2 a second to focus, read the light levels to set the exposure before it actually takes the photos.

You might find if you put the camera in manual focus mode and pre-focus on a specific spot the camera reacts quicker (although this probably depends on the camera model I guess).
I've noticed on compact cameras prefocusing and using full manual if available helps reduce the shutter lag but it is still significant compared to a dSLR.

Im not sure what the average on a compact/bridge camera is these days but I know the 20d is around 60ms and the 1d is around 34ms, non slr digital cameras i've used often have up to a second of shutter lag which makes them very annoying for action shots.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 03-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2k View Post
non slr digital cameras i've used often have up to a second of shutter lag which makes them very annoying for action shots.
One of the main reason I got a dSLR this time. Trying to take pics of a 2 year old that won't keep still for long wasn't easy with my bridge.
Old 05-10-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

I got my dslr for the speed and high iso noise responce.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 04-04-2008

Get a dSLR with a decent sports lens... compact digi camera's are often too slow for fast moving stuff (as you noticed) and the absence of light even makes it more difficult... You did a good job considering the equipment you used and the poor lighting conditions.
Old 06-04-2008

You don't need an SLR. I have tonnes of good photos with a compact.

As people say, lowest F number is good. I find it easiest to shoot in Av mode (aperture value). Setting a nice low F number to let in plenty of light and use the ISO to control shutter speed.
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

hey Jimmy i know you like your lenses
how about this beauty

yeah i know its a video camera but any of the stills wil be pretty good

apparently that a £64,000 lens on a £100,000 camera

Last edited by showtime; 06-04-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2008

Did you see Arnauds lens at the Neo though? It was a 500mm prime I think

Pretty frickin massive by it's own right. I wonder what he is compensating for? lol Only joking of course, top guy with great skills.